The Student Room Group

Social science/humanities in uni?

A lot of people told me not to study social science or humanities degree at uni, as they say it’s pointless which really put me off. I’m going to be studying Politics at a good uni, but now I don’t feel like going. People have told me it’s pointless and a waste of money, and I should only go uni if I study economics, medicine, engineering etc. What does everyone else think?
:frown:
Ignore them! Having a degree in Politics will showcase a ton of different skills to future employers, and what would be better - doing a degree that you enjoy and therefore putting in the effort and doing well, or getting no degree at all?

As amazing as those other degrees are, universities offer 100s of different courses for a reason. Please don't by discouraged by what other people think!
Very true what Alex Isabel said. Don’t worry
Original post by RoughHead
A lot of people told me not to study social science or humanities degree at uni, as they say it’s pointless which really put me off. I’m going to be studying Politics at a good uni, but now I don’t feel like going. People have told me it’s pointless and a waste of money, and I should only go uni if I study economics, medicine, engineering etc. What does everyone else think?

What kind of people are you talking to? By their metric, Economics would be worthless as well considering it's a Humanities subject.

I did languages at university and have had great success in jobs I've applied to thus far and the same can be said for my friends at university.

In my opinion, Politics is definitely a fascinating and respected degree. The subject matter literally runs our daily life :lol: . Just ignore the haters; they're incredibly naive, ignorant and narrow-minded.

Take it from a fellow Humanities person - you're completely fine. :rambo:
Thanks so much to everyone who replied. I feel better
Yes, of course, thank you.
Reply 7
Tell em they will be first in the gulags when your coup succeeds
Reply 8
That's a great pic of my uncle
I think politics is a fantastic degree. Most jobs do not require specific degrees anyway, it’s all about transferable skills.
Original post by Anonymous
I think politics is a fantastic degree. Most jobs do not require specific degrees anyway, it’s all about transferable skills.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending