The Student Room Group

Doing further maths privately

Hi,

Am doing Maths,English Lit,Philosophy and Economics at the moment. I am thinking of dropping economics and taking Further Maths privately as I am aiming for oxford so FM would be beneficial. Just wondered if anyone has any advice on managing workload etc and how difficult the course is!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by DM321
Hi,

Am doing Maths,English Lit,Philosophy and Economics at the moment. I am thinking of dropping economics and taking Further Maths privately as I am aiming for oxford so FM would be beneficial. Just wondered if anyone has any advice on managing workload etc and how difficult the course is!

Thanks!

I'm guessing you've just started Y12? Which uni course are you aiming for? What grade did you get in maths GCSE?
Reply 2
Original post by Sir Cumference
I'm guessing you've just started Y12? Which uni course are you aiming for? What grade did you get in maths GCSE?

I got a 9 at GCSE and am aiming for a maths course
Reply 3
Original post by DM321
I got a 9 at GCSE and am aiming for a maths course

If you're aiming for Oxford maths then I highly recommend taking further maths. The vast majority of people on the course will have taken FM. You should also then drop at least 1 of your other A Levels (personally I'd drop two of them) because 5 A Levels is too much.

Does your school/college not offer FM and is that why you're thinking of taking it privately?
Reply 4
If you're aiming for Oxford maths then I highly recommend taking further maths. The vast majority of people on the course will have taken FM. You should also then drop at least 1 of your other A Levels (personally I'd drop two of them) because 5 A Levels is too much.

Does your school/college not offer FM and is that why you're thinking of taking it privately?

My school doesn’t offer the course so I would be dropping economics to take Maths,FM,English Lit and philosophy but only doing FM to as
Reply 5
Original post by DM321
My school doesn’t offer the course so I would be dropping economics to take Maths,FM,English Lit and philosophy but only doing FM to as

I think you should do this. Are you aware of the Further Maths Support Programme? You should show this to your school and check if there's any way you can study FM in the school with the assistance of the FMSP.

Also is there any reason why you will be taking 4 A Levels? Is it because your school is forcing you to? You only need 3 A Levels for your uni offer and if you're self-studying one of the A Levels then you really need all the time you can get.
Reply 6
I think you should do this. Are you aware of the Further Maths Support Programme? You should show this to your school and check if there's any way you can study FM in the school with the assistance of the FMSP.

Also is there any reason why you will be taking 4 A Levels? Is it because your school is forcing you to? You only need 3 A Levels for your uni offer and if you're self-studying one of the A Levels then you really need all the time you can get.

Our school offer 4 AS-levels and the take on 3 as full a levels to offer a safety net in case of fails. I would get a tutor once or twice a week to support me,I’ve seen the programme on line so will look into it!
Reply 7
Original post by DM321
Our school offer 4 AS-levels and the take on 3 as full a levels to offer a safety net in case of fails. I would get a tutor once or twice a week to support me,I’ve seen the programme on line so will look into it!

After Y12, I'd recommend dropping another one so you're left with maths, further maths and one other and you can put all your effort into these three.
Reply 8
After Y12, I'd recommend dropping another one so you're left with maths, further maths and one other and you can put all your effort into these three.

Thanks,will definitely think about it!
Reply 9
Hi,just wanted to say thanks for the advice!Have started FM and dropped economics and am thrilled!FM is so much more interesting and really enjoying it already!

Quick Reply

Latest