The Student Room Group

3 GCSEs, 1 lvl3 diploma— what can I do/start?

Hello. Just done a careers test for the civil service and K&IM came up as the strongest career match, though I do not have 5 GCSEs to meet the majority of their criteria for jobs/apprenticeships. I currently work in a library and would’ve loved to do their apprenticeship but I’m 2 short.

Is there any way to progress into the role naturally? Or should I try find another route? I’m quite interested in information sciences, IT and design.

Original post by Bolognacoffee
Hello. Just done a careers test for the civil service and K&IM came up as the strongest career match, though I do not have 5 GCSEs to meet the majority of their criteria for jobs/apprenticeships. I currently work in a library and would’ve loved to do their apprenticeship but I’m 2 short.

Is there any way to progress into the role naturally? Or should I try find another route? I’m quite interested in information sciences, IT and design.

I don't work in the civil service or K&IM, but generally the key GCSEs are Maths and English Language (I can't remember the last time a job posting specifically require you to have other GCSEs).

If you want to work in civil services, I think you can apply with just what you have, so long you have the required GCSEs in maths and English Lang. You will need to work from the bottom up should you go straight for the entry level jobs.

Should you ever need any further GCSEs, you can do 2 more privately as a private candidate. These will cost you and you will likely need to study privately as opposed to doing it at a school (some adult colleges might offter them, but those are very difficult to find - most offer English Language and Maths, since they're key).
Private study would include doing them online or self study. Courses can cost a few hundred pounds per subject, and often don't include exams (which is likely another £150 on top). If you want further information on this, let me know because it's quite an essay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending