The Student Room Group

University Admissions

I passed GCSE English Literature with a Grade 5, but I achieved a Grade 3 in English Language. Can I still be accepted for university with English Literature or am I required to resit to be admitted? P.S I am a YR13 BTEC level 3 IT Student
Original post by CaptainPapa1
I passed GCSE English Literature with a Grade 5, but I achieved a Grade 3 in English Language. Can I still be accepted for university with English Literature or am I required to resit to be admitted? P.S I am a YR13 BTEC level 3 IT Student

A friend of mine didn't pass his GCSE English Language or Maths. His university (like most) required a pass but they still gave him an offer. His GCSE grades were never mentioned so I don't think they really cared. It was just the grade for the BTEC he was doing that mattered. If you're applying to do IT or something similar at uni, assuming you have all the other required grades, my guess is you should be fine. (Probably less fine if you're applying to study English Language :tongue:).

Well what does the entry requirements say for your course you’re looking at?

Did the college or sixth form not ask for you to resit this? Even though it’s not mandatory.
Original post by Hazzabear
Well what does the entry requirements say for your course you’re looking at?

Did the college or sixth form not ask for you to resit this? Even though it’s not mandatory.

The entry requirements say English and Maths at Grade 4
The entry requirements say English and Maths at Grade 4

Specifically English language or literature?
Original post by Hazzabear
Specifically English language or literature?

It would imply English language (OP can verify) - that and Maths are the two that the government says you must resit if you do not get a grade 4 or above.
Original post by itstimprobably
It would imply English language (OP can verify) - that and Maths are the two that the government says you must resit if you do not get a grade 4 or above.

It doesn’t always imply for English language in fact, some universities will just say whichever one you get the best grade in.

Quick Reply

Latest