The Student Room Group

A-level French in 1 year

At the moment I think I'm going to finish year 13 with only 2 A-levels and an AS but I really want to go to uni. I'm willing to take an extra year to get the qualifications I need but need to know whether it would be possible to do the whole French spec in one year?

It would be my only subject so I think the workload would be bearable but some people say it's really heard. I got a grade 8 for GCSE and really enjoy it but since it will be 2 years later will I even remember enough? Are there any other subjects that would be easier?
Original post by hweasel
At the moment I think I'm going to finish year 13 with only 2 A-levels and an AS but I really want to go to uni. I'm willing to take an extra year to get the qualifications I need but need to know whether it would be possible to do the whole French spec in one year?

It would be my only subject so I think the workload would be bearable but some people say it's really heard. I got a grade 8 for GCSE and really enjoy it but since it will be 2 years later will I even remember enough? Are there any other subjects that would be easier?

AS don’t count as anything anymore

You could try doing french. You could do it online as they have fast track a levels that can be done in a year. Plus you will have the half term to do extra lessons
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by xxjessxx20
AS don’t count as anything anymore

You could try doing french. You could do it online as they have fast track a levels that can be done in a year. Plus you will have the half term to do extra lessons

According to my school an A counts as 20 ucas points still? Like it's not much but I don't see the point in not taking the exam if I know the content. Yeah, I'm hoping to do it either online or perhaps with my school (very few students here take languages so they're quite flexible on them)
I left year 13 with only two A-levels and also wanted to go to uni so I decided to take an extra year to teach myself an A-level. I decided on Sociology which I'd never done before(also didn't really know what it was haha) but it actually ended up being a really good option. The fact it doesn't include any coursework/practicals/speaking exams etc meant I could study it independently while working a few days a week and just paid to take the exams at a local exam centre.

You can pay to study an A-level online but if you're relatively self motivated I'd honestly say it's entirely possible to teach Sociology to yourself. I bought the textbooks and revision guides second hand on eBay and used Youtube and thesociologyteacher website to look at model answers etc, and I got an A* so it's definitely possible!!

One of the A-levels I did at school was French, it was my best GCSE subject by far but the jump between GCSE and A-level was big and I found it really difficult. In my experience it's a subject where you need more support from teachers/language assistants to understand where you're making mistakes especially with the speaking exam, so it's not the easiest to teach yourself/study online. That said, if there was a possibility to do it at your school then I think you could do it in one year, it was just a much more labour intensive subject in my experience !
Reply 4
Original post by lemonemily
I left year 13 with only two A-levels and also wanted to go to uni so I decided to take an extra year to teach myself an A-level. I decided on Sociology which I'd never done before(also didn't really know what it was haha) but it actually ended up being a really good option. The fact it doesn't include any coursework/practicals/speaking exams etc meant I could study it independently while working a few days a week and just paid to take the exams at a local exam centre.

You can pay to study an A-level online but if you're relatively self motivated I'd honestly say it's entirely possible to teach Sociology to yourself. I bought the textbooks and revision guides second hand on eBay and used Youtube and thesociologyteacher website to look at model answers etc, and I got an A* so it's definitely possible!!

One of the A-levels I did at school was French, it was my best GCSE subject by far but the jump between GCSE and A-level was big and I found it really difficult. In my experience it's a subject where you need more support from teachers/language assistants to understand where you're making mistakes especially with the speaking exam, so it's not the easiest to teach yourself/study online. That said, if there was a possibility to do it at your school then I think you could do it in one year, it was just a much more labour intensive subject in my experience !

I spoke to my English teacher earlier, and he said the most relevant subjects for my degree would be Psych/Sociology or French, so this is super useful advice haha! Personally I'd rather take French because it's a more useful skill to have in general, but I'm also pretty open to the other two. I think I'll start with finding out whether my school can support me through French, and if not I'll definitely consider Sociology! Ty :colondollar:
Original post by hweasel
According to my school an A counts as 20 ucas points still? Like it's not much but I don't see the point in not taking the exam if I know the content. Yeah, I'm hoping to do it either online or perhaps with my school (very few students here take languages so they're quite flexible on them)

Now as exams don’t count towards your final a level. But if you know the content of the book and the film they do. Just do it

Quick Reply

Latest