The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Any 2020 Keele University Applicants?

Ask me anything!

Scroll to see replies

It's probably worth me adding that the official thread for applicants to chat and get to know each other can be found here. :smile:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
Reply 2
Hi,
could you tell me what the traditional and classic accommodation is like?
I went to the open day but only the shared flats and the en suites were available for viewing.
Tbh I would like to spend as little as possible on accommodation but would you say its worth paying the extra £800 or so to stay in the flats in comparison to the tradition or classic rooms?
Also is there communal/social space within the halls?
Thanks!
Original post by Lance1
Hi,
could you tell me what the traditional and classic accommodation is like?
I went to the open day but only the shared flats and the en suites were available for viewing.
Tbh I would like to spend as little as possible on accommodation but would you say its worth paying the extra £800 or so to stay in the flats in comparison to the tradition or classic rooms?
Also is there communal/social space within the halls?
Thanks!

When I lived on campus I paid for an en-suite room in Lindsay Court and I absolutely loved it! It was so nice to have my own bathroom as I would have been a bit anxious about sharing a bathroom with people I didn’t know. The kitchen wasn’t overcrowded as there was only 8 of us sharing so we all got to know each other and become really close quite quickly!

The classic rooms are very basic and often require a fair bit of decorating to make them cosy enough to call home (but that’s my opinion). The classic rooms in Barnes Hall come with a wash basin, but other than that, all other amenities are shared. In Barnes you could be sharing your kitchen and bathroom with up to 14/15 people, which is something you may want to consider. Some people think that’s fantastic whereas, it doesn’t suit others. It all depends on individual preference and what kind of uni life you’re going to want to try and have. Barnes Halls has a common room and a bar which can be used as the communal space and living area but obviously, if you pay more for accommodation, you’ll have a living room area to some extent within your flat!

Holly Cross and the Oaks also has its own common room for communal space. This accommodation is only en-suited accommodation and you’ll be sharing with a maximum of 8 per diner and 4 per kitchen! There’s a common room here to!

In Horwood, there is another common room and bar which can be used as social areas. Horwood is also near a lovely pub called the KPA which many students are fond of, including myself. The classic rooms in Horwood are similar to Barnes in that you get a wash basic. However, in horwood you could be sharing tour bathrooms with as many as 11-13 people and your kitchen with a possible 23. So again, it all depends on how comfortable you are with that!

In Lindsay, the traditional room comes without the wash basic and the classic room has the wash basin. If you choose to live in Block E which has 50 rooms, you’ll be sharing with a maximum of 16 per bathroom and 25 per kitchen. Lindsay Court offers the en suit rooms which shares with 4 per kitchen and 8 per diner. Lindsay also has its own bar and common room!

I hope this has helped you a little. The traditional and classic rooms are very simple, but they do the job! Halls life is going to be what you make it, you’ll love it wherever you are i’m sure!

It purely just depends on how you are as a person. If you’re fairly anxious and shy and feel uncomfortable around large groups, you may find it beneficial to spend the extra money. However, that could also work the opposite way around as you may want to push yourself and put yourself in that situation where you may need to live with quite a few more people!

If you’ve got any more questions please don’t hesistate to ask! I understand it’s a tough decision!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Keele Student Ambassador
When I lived on campus I paid for an en-suite room in Lindsay Court and I absolutely loved it! It was so nice to have my own bathroom as I would have been a bit anxious about sharing a bathroom with people I didn’t know. The kitchen wasn’t overcrowded as there was only 8 of us sharing so we all got to know each other and become really close quite quickly!

The classic rooms are very basic and often require a fair bit of decorating to make them cosy enough to call home (but that’s my opinion). The classic rooms in Barnes Hall come with a wash basin, but other than that, all other amenities are shared. In Barnes you could be sharing your kitchen and bathroom with up to 14/15 people, which is something you may want to consider. Some people think that’s fantastic whereas, it doesn’t suit others. It all depends on individual preference and what kind of uni life you’re going to want to try and have. Barnes Halls has a common room and a bar which can be used as the communal space and living area but obviously, if you pay more for accommodation, you’ll have a living room area to some extent within your flat!

Holly Cross and the Oaks also has its own common room for communal space. This accommodation is only en-suited accommodation and you’ll be sharing with a maximum of 8 per diner and 4 per kitchen! There’s a common room here to!

In Horwood, there is another common room and bar which can be used as social areas. Horwood is also near a lovely pub called the KPA which many students are fond of, including myself. The classic rooms in Horwood are similar to Barnes in that you get a wash basic. However, in horwood you could be sharing tour bathrooms with as many as 11-13 people and your kitchen with a possible 23. So again, it all depends on how comfortable you are with that!

In Lindsay, the traditional room comes without the wash basic and the classic room has the wash basin. If you choose to live in Block E which has 50 rooms, you’ll be sharing with a maximum of 16 per bathroom and 25 per kitchen. Lindsay Court offers the en suit rooms which shares with 4 per kitchen and 8 per diner. Lindsay also has its own bar and common room!

I hope this has helped you a little. The traditional and classic rooms are very simple, but they do the job! Halls life is going to be what you make it, you’ll love it wherever you are i’m sure!

It purely just depends on how you are as a person. If you’re fairly anxious and shy and feel uncomfortable around large groups, you may find it beneficial to spend the extra money. However, that could also work the opposite way around as you may want to push yourself and put yourself in that situation where you may need to live with quite a few more people!

If you’ve got any more questions please don’t hesistate to ask! I understand it’s a tough decision!

Thank you! That has helped :smile:
Reply 5
Ask me anything!

Politics at Keele is 4th in the Guardian, so would this be better than Warwick as it says? Also, why do the UCAS & Guardian Differ? A bit of a loaded question soz
Original post by Lance1
Thank you! That has helped :smile:

Anytime! :smile:
Original post by Jovid
Politics at Keele is 4th in the Guardian, so would this be better than Warwick as it says? Also, why do the UCAS & Guardian Differ? A bit of a loaded question soz

I’ve just been on the The Guardian and i’ve seen that Keele is actually 3rd place, behind Oxford and Cambridge to study Politics! Warwick comes 4th so to answer your question, in terms of the rating, yes it would probably be better!

In terms of your second question, i’m not too sure what you mean?
Reply 8
I’ve just been on the The Guardian and i’ve seen that Keele is actually 3rd place, behind Oxford and Cambridge to study Politics! Warwick comes 4th so to answer your question, in terms of the rating, yes it would probably be better!

In terms of your second question, i’m not too sure what you mean?

Why is Keele lower and like 30th on UCAS but 3rd on Guardian, but it must be different measurements
Reply 9
What's Stoke like? Never been
Original post by Jovid
What's Stoke like? Never been

You seriously want to avoid.
Reply 11
Ask me anything!

Hello,
what is the night life like?
are there a lot of shopping malls are stoke on trent?
I have read reviews about the area feeling isolated is it true?
Reply 12
Original post by FormerStudent1
You seriously want to avoid.

why should we avoid?
How is the night life?
what is the accomodation like?
are the student parties really fun?
Original post by Jovid
Why is Keele lower and like 30th on UCAS but 3rd on Guardian, but it must be different measurements

Unfortunately that isn't something that I get informed about as a Student Ambassador so I'm not the best source of knowledge for as to why they may differ. Sorry!
Reply 14
Unfortunately that isn't something that I get informed about as a Student Ambassador so I'm not the best source of knowledge for as to why they may differ. Sorry!

That's fine, still looking forward to Keele
Original post by Jovid

This just proves how unreliable league tables are to give you an idea of your experience on the course. :wink: Do some research into both courses and see which you prefer - there will be some significant differences in the way both courses operate. Politics at Keele have quite a large department (as Keele goes, the whole university is small) and many of my friends who study Pol&IR seem to enjoy their modules. :smile:
Hi, 3rd year student here hoping to go back on campus... just wondering if you know how the shared flats work? I’ve been offered a Barnes shared flat/house room in Bar T 114 and I’m wondering if the shared flats are en-suite, how many people there are per flat and if they are mixed sex or single sex? I’ve read a variety of different things about the shared flats and now I’m just a bit confused. Had hoped to live with my friend but we ended up getting offered different places separately... oh well, we move on.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, 3rd year student here hoping to go back on campus... just wondering if you know how the shared flats work? I’ve been offered a Barnes shared flat/house room in Bar T 114 and I’m wondering if the shared flats are en-suite, how many people there are per flat and if they are mixed sex or single sex? I’ve read a variety of different things about the shared flats and now I’m just a bit confused. Had hoped to live with my friend but we ended up getting offered different places separately... oh well, we move on.
Barnes T block are flats of 4 I believe. Not ensuite (it would usually say if it was) , I wouldn't know about mixed/single sex because I think both will be available. If you have a preference I think this should have been made clear in your initial application if memory serves - however if you did include that detail then my guess would be the accommodation team would have followed through on that. You may wish to ring them up and check.

Within T block you'll have 3 floors, each floor will house 3 flats within which hold a kitchen, bathroom and 4 bedrooms. The kitchens are a reasonable size but it's some sofas and a coffee table rather than a dining table to eat with.
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there!

Barnes G-V Blocks are 24 48 rooms per block and have 4 per kitchen and bathroom so the rooms in these blocks are not en-suite rooms unfortunately. They will also be mixed sex flats.

I hope this helps? If you have any more questions then please don’t hesitate to ask! :smile:
Do you know how many floors there are in barnes H?Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest