The Student Room Group

Immigration in England

Scroll to see replies

Some immigration is fine. A points-based system would be best.

Mass immigration otoh is ruining the UK (and Europe as a whole). Countries need to remain ethnically and culturally homogeneous to thrive (so yes, I do have more of an issue with immigration from countries outside of Europe - though any mass immigration is a cause for concern imo).
Original post by Answer seeker90
Looking at Brexit it seems English people hate immigration from Europe, but I'm left wondering why the English hate immigration from Europe but seem to welcome immigration from Arabia, Pakistan and India?

Even there mayor is Pakistani and there secretary of state is Indian

Your observations are misguided. deluded and simplistic. You are simply wrong.
Reply 22
Looking at Brexit it seems English people hate immigration from Europe, but I'm left wondering why the English hate immigration from Europe but seem to welcome immigration from Arabia, Pakistan and India?

From your last point, I can tell you have no idea what an immigrant is.
The leave campaign played quite heavily on fears that the EU (technically the Schengen zone) was a conduit for non-EU economic migrants to the UK.

The Brexit referendum was held about 6 months after the mass sexual assault at Cologne rail station.

No the mayor and Secretary of State are British, the color of your skin/ ethnicity don’t define your nationality. Some Brit’s hate Europeans such as some Indians hate Muslims Most brits are not against immigration just against a perceived lack of control from the EU.

The Mayor of England, I didn't even realise that one existed!
You do understand that there is more to England than London right?
Original post by fallen_acorns
its entirely up to us and our goverment how many non EU citizens we let in. We are in control - its not some abstract event that will happen regardless of what we do.

We really aren't in control. The government (Labour and the Tories) for many years have been promising immigration in the 10s of thousands yet immigration from outside the EU has been well over 100k for many years now. Why? Or is it complicated?
Reply 27
Original post by SHallowvale
English people have varying opinions on immigration. We're not all part of some hive mind.

When you say that English people "seem to welcome immigration from Arabia, Pakistan and India", who are you referring to? What gives you the belief that they are welcoming people from these areas?

Sajid Javid and Sadiq Khan are both British. Their families arrived in the UK in the 50's/60's.

We know that they are born in the UK, but they are the sons of migrants, and they were raised muslims. This is not the same as someone whose ancestry goes back hundreds of years in the UK.

Btw I like Sajid Javid, so not a negative comment.
Reply 28
Original post by ByEeek
We really aren't in control. The government (Labour and the Tories) for many years have been promising immigration in the 10s of thousands yet immigration from outside the EU has been well over 100k for many years now. Why? Or is it complicated?

Being part of the EU has meant that the UK had to abide by EU freedom of movement laws. So if a non-EU migrant arrives in any other EU country, and from there decides to move to the UK, they can do so, and there is little the UK could do about it. Hopefully, this will now change.
Original post by 89leah
Being part of the EU has meant that the UK had to abide by EU freedom of movement laws. So if a non-EU migrant arrives in any other EU country, and from there decides to move to the UK, they can do so, and there is little the UK could do about it. Hopefully, this will now change.

Agreed. So why is it that up until now, half of immigrants have come from the EU and the other half from outside? If we could control immigration and wanted less we could have stopped non-EU migration and reduced immigration by half over night... except we don't and haven't.

Perhaps our government are not being totally truthful?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending