The Student Room Group

Reapplying to university

Last year I was studying nursing but really struggled with my mental health. I found the university support really lacking and I ended up dropping out. I'm planning to restart the course in 2020 but have to go through the whole UCAS application process again. Should I mention in my personal statement that I was previously on the course etc. or would this put potential universities off.
Reply 1
If you're applying for a different course I wouldn't mention it, if you are applying the same course I probably would but context is everything. So I dropped out of my nursing course for the exact same reason but I was 1.5 years in so I was applying to 2nd year entry when I looked at different uni's. Not sure how far you got whether that might be an option for you?

Basically, I was told to include it on the basis that I've learned more about nursing from your previous course and can draw positive things fron the experience to support your new application. If you only did a short amount of your course or never went on placement for example I would think about whether it's worth mentioning.

I went to the new uni's I wanted to apply to and asked their intake team what they'd be looking for specifically from a 2nd year entry application. You could definitely do the same, consider emailing them and explaining the circumstances. They won't be able to hold it against you should they receive your application but if you're really concerned emailed from an alternative email/write the email and get a friend or family member to send it for you.
Original post by VLAS44
Last year I was studying nursing but really struggled with my mental health. I found the university support really lacking and I ended up dropping out. I'm planning to restart the course in 2020 but have to go through the whole UCAS application process again. Should I mention in my personal statement that I was previously on the course etc. or would this put potential universities off.

You don’t have to mention it in your PS.

You do have to provide a full educational history in the education section.

Universities don’t mind reapplications.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending