The Student Room Group

Taking gap year to do maths a level

Hey basically I did my gcse's but moved from scotland so i had to do the foundation level course because I came late. Therefore I could only get a 5 however what i want to do requires a level maths- economics. So should I drop out college resit then do my a level starting september next year? Please help!
Original post by a n o h a
Hey basically I did my gcse's but moved from scotland so i had to do the foundation level course because I came late. Therefore I could only get a 5 however what i want to do requires a level maths- economics. So should I drop out college resit then do my a level starting september next year? Please help!

Are you currently enrolled in a sixth-form college? You need to speak to someone at one to explain the situation before deciding on a retake etc. They might well be happy for you to do A level economics without A level maths - in fact, most colleges don't require A level maths to be taken alongside A level economics. A 5 in GCSE maths should be acceptable.
Original post by Reality Check
Are you currently enrolled in a sixth-form college? You need to speak to someone at one to explain the situation before deciding on a retake etc. They might well be happy for you to do A level economics without A level maths - in fact, most colleges don't require A level maths to be taken alongside A level economics. A 5 in GCSE maths should be acceptable.

TBF most 'good' Unis want (if not require A-level maths) for economics, It certainly makes the applications harder to the top economics programs

I would think its worth finding a way to do A-level maths just to build a solid understanding of calculus before trying to do an economics degree (although this depends on which specific degrees OP is interested in, if its the BSc: probably should do A-level maths, if OP wants to do a BA they can likely get away without it).
Original post by mnot
TBF most 'good' Unis want (if not require A-level maths) for economics, It certainly makes the applications harder to the top economics programs

I would think its worth finding a way to do A-level maths just to build a solid understanding of calculus before trying to do an economics degree (although this depends on which specific degrees OP is interested in, if its the BSc: probably should do A-level maths, if OP wants to do a BA they can likely get away without it).

Yes, you're right. And I would always advise candidates to take A level maths alongside Economics. But the OP isn't talking about taking economics at University, so it's less relevant.

Sensible point though :smile:
Yes, you're right. And I would always advise candidates to take A level maths alongside Economics. But the OP isn't talking about taking economics at University, so it's less relevant.

Sensible point though :smile:

Yes, good point, i jumped the gun and assumed they were following through with a Uni application as well. (ignore me OP, unless you are planning to study this in further education...)
Original post by mnot
Yes, good point, i jumped the gun and assumed they were following through with a Uni application as well. (ignore me OP, unless you are planning to study this in further education...)

You still made a sensible and accurate comment though, so you've done better than 99.8% of TSR's commentators :smile:
Original post by mnot

is a BA good though because the average grad salary seems kind of low compared to a bsc
is a BA good though because the average grad salary seems kind of low compared to a bsc

Is it good?

this is impossible to answer, assuming maximum grad prospects is the goal then:

-Some BA's are better than some BSc
-Generally speaking BSc are considered better (for finance careers) as the jobs have moved to an analytical econometrics based industry, that said the BA from Oxford is as good as any other (although you will defo need maths for that uni)
-If you want to study economics at a top-shelf Uni, then go back and get the GCSE & A-level
-If you want to work in finance or other analytical based job, go get it done
(Also I think a 5 at GCSE will put you out of reach of Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick,Notts, Bath etc.)

If you only have a passing interest in the subject and just want to jump into a grad scheme then a BA will be fine.

If you have no idea,
then sit down with a parent or mentor (asap) and discuss get on google and have a look at the modules online and see if its something your interested in after A-levels, If you decide you want to then take the A-level then come up with a plan. I would suggest re-sitting GCSE maths, but you should also then have plenty of time to get a huge head start on your A-levels as 1 or 2 GCSE resits shouldn't be too time consuming.

At Oxbridge, you are only awarded a BA as a first degree. Does that mean they're bad?
At Oxbridge, you are only awarded a BA as a first degree. Does that mean they're bad?

Oxbridge is Oxbridge though. And guys I think I'm gonna do my a-levels alongside with gcse maths then resit year 12 next year and continue two of my a levels alongside with a level maths. So instead of taking a gap year, i'm still at college and studying the a-levels I will actual study alongside with my maths- however I'll drop one subject.

Quick Reply

Latest