The Student Room Group

Geology and Earth Science Applicants 2020

Are you applying to study Geology and/or Earth Science at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...

Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Favourite Rock...

Share as much detail as you're comfortable with.

You may also want to have a look at this HUGE LIST of other applicants threads for all the universities you're applying to as well as potential other courses if you're a joint honours student.:woo:

Scroll to see replies

Useful Links

GeolSoc's Pathways website
2018 Applicants' Thread

Reading lists:
Good websites:
Useful A Levels for Geoscience

Spoiler

Hi, I've applied for Geology/ Earth Science but might change to Geophysics, have applied to Oxford, Leeds, Durham, St Andrews and Imperial, and have got offers from Leeds and Durham. I've been predicted 3 A*s for Chemistry, Physics and Maths and got GCSE grades ranging from 6s-9s, but contextually those grades were pretty good. I've seen rocks of sulphur and they look pretty f*cking cool so sulphur can be my favourite rock for now.
Original post by 04MR17

Are you applying to study Geology and/or Earth Science at University this year?
Well this is the place for you!
:party:

Post below with details about your...

Specific Course:
Universities you're applying to:
A level / IB / Higher grades:
GCSE grades:
Favourite Rock...

Hey! I’m Bella and I’m either applying for Geography, Environmental Geoscience or Environmental Earth Science/Earth Science!
Cambridge, Durham, Uni of Liverpool, Edinburgh, St Andrews
Predicted A*A*A* in bio geog and physics and A* in EPQ
9999999887A*
Obsidian!!
Birmingham - Geology and Physical Geography (offer ABB)

Nottingham - Environmental geoscience (offer ABB)

UEA - Geology with Geography (offer ABC or BBB)

Reading - Physical Geography (offer BBB or BBC if firm)

NTU - Physical Geography (offer BBB)

Predicted ABC in geog, bio, chem
88887774A

Don’t have one
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Hello! I am applying for geology and a geophysics course! I’m applying at Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews. My predicted grades this year in higher maths B ,chemistry A , physics A and advanced higher geography at a B! My favourite rock is definitely volcanic rock, there’s quite a lot of it where I live and it’s cool to be able to say that I’ve walked on top of cooled magma!
Reply 6
What college at Oxford have you applied for?
Original post by Stephhjj
What college at Oxford have you applied for?

St Edmund Hall
Reply 8
Specific Course: Geology (Bsc or Msc haven't decided)
Universities you're applying to: Exeter (Penryn campus), Imperial Colledge London, Southampton, Plymouth, Cardiff, conditional offer on all as of 04/04/20
IB grades: HL Geo 7, Chem 6, Phys 5; SL French 6, Maths Studies 7, English 6. Predicted 38/39 overall.
GCSE grades: 999988888A*
Favourite Rock: Divided between labradorite and seraphinite.... gonna go with labradorite.

Hi! I'm Emma and I'm super undecided about Geology but I'm going with my gut - I've never been interested in anything else except possibly being an author, which you don't need a degree for, but I've never shown extreme interest... feels a little wrong when my frends are going for high-flying jobs in medicine and law.
Possibly going to take a gap year and go for oxford if I exceed my grades.

Decided to post here to try and reach out to anyone going to my Uni choices doing Geology / Geology in general. Exeter for Geology is my main choice, seems the perfect place to do Geology since its right in the thick of it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Bosgal
Specific Course: Geology (Bsc or Msc haven't decided)
Universities you're applying to: Exeter (Penryn campus), Imperial Colledge London, Southampton, Plymouth, Cardiff
IB grades: HL Geo 7, Chem 6, Phys 5; SL French 6, Maths Studies 7, English 6. Predicted 38/39 overall.
GCSE grades: 999988888A*
Favourite Rock: Divided between labradorite and seraphinite.... gonna go with labradorite.

Hi! I'm Emma and I'm super undecided about Geology but I'm going with my gut - I've never been interested in anything else except possibly being an author, which you don't need a degree for, but I've never shown extreme interest... feels a little wrong when my frends are going for high-flying jobs in medicine and law.
Possibly going to take a gap year and go for oxford if I exceed my grades.

Decided to post here to try and reach out to anyone going to my Uni choices doing Geology / Geology in general. Exeter for Geology is my main choice, seems the perfect place to do Geology since its right in the thick of it!

What made you choose Geology? There's absolutely no obligation for you to do a degree if you don't want to do one (peer pressure isn't really a justification for spending £60,000 on a degree you don't need/want) but Geology/Earth Sciences is a great degree to study if you're curious about how the Earth really works and you're interested in a degree (and possibly career) involving lots of travel and fieldwork.
Reply 10
Original post by Plagioclase
What made you choose Geology? There's absolutely no obligation for you to do a degree if you don't want to do one (peer pressure isn't really a justification for spending £60,000 on a degree you don't need/want) but Geology/Earth Sciences is a great degree to study if you're curious about how the Earth really works and you're interested in a degree (and possibly career) involving lots of travel and fieldwork.

I guess it's just a natural progression from a childhood interest, I enjoy physical geography and my sciences (and the outdoors) but I'm not sure if it will hold my interest for an extended and intense period. I don't have many options for life paths and this one seems to give the most positive outcome in terms of quality of life and happiness in my job (if that makes sense).
Original post by Bosgal
I guess it's just a natural progression from a childhood interest, I enjoy physical geography and my sciences (and the outdoors) but I'm not sure if it will hold my interest for an extended and intense period. I don't have many options for life paths and this one seems to give the most positive outcome in terms of quality of life and happiness in my job (if that makes sense).

You're probably aware of this but I'd like to stress that geology is not physical geography - they're very different subjects. In any case, the best way to find out for yourself whether it'll be able to hold your interest is by reading. There are lots of great popular science books on Geology/Earth Sciences like my personal favourite The Two-Mile Time Machine (Alley) and all of the books by Jan Zalasiewicz. There's also a very good book called How to Build a Habitable Planet which is a challenging read but it's probably the best overview you'll find of the modern Earth Sciences. Also, if you're still really unsure then consider taking a gap year. It's better to do that than start a very expensive degree you could end up regretting.
Reply 12
I'll keep that in mind! Yes I am aware but my school's exposure to geology is very, very limited, only 4 applicants in the last 20 years... I bought some books from the R Geological Society sale and am currently reading, its interesting so far.
Hi, I’ve applied for a mixture of Geology and Geology and Physical Geography, I’ve applied to Uni of Liverpool, Leeds, Cardiff and Manchester, and edge hill Uni. Atm Liverpool is my favourite although I haven’t been to Cardiff yet. That’s booked for mid March 🤪
At A level I’m predicted AAAB in Chem, Maths, Geography and the Welsh Baccalaureate (I live in Wales), at GCSE I got 2A*, 7As and 2Cs (Wales so we still have Grades) and at AS (Another wales thing) I got BBBC (C in Chem).
My favourite rock would have to be blue sapphire Geodes.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi I haven’t applied yet as I am only in year 12 at the moment, but I would like to apply to Oxford, Imperial, Exeter and others. I would apply to a mixture of geology, earth science and earth and planetary science.
I am completing A levels in Maths, Chemistry, Physics and geography. And am expecting to achieve A, A, B, A*.
My favourite rock is labradorite at I like the colour it gives of when exposed to the light.
I achieved 9999888876A* in my GCSE’s
Original post by need urgent help
My favourite rock is labradorite at I like the colour it gives of when exposed to the light.

👌👌👌
my fav rock is plagiocite
Original post by Plagioclase
You're probably aware of this but I'd like to stress that geology is not physical geography - they're very different subjects. In any case, the best way to find out for yourself whether it'll be able to hold your interest is by reading. There are lots of great popular science books on Geology/Earth Sciences like my personal favourite The Two-Mile Time Machine (Alley) and all of the books by Jan Zalasiewicz. There's also a very good book called How to Build a Habitable Planet which is a challenging read but it's probably the best overview you'll find of the modern Earth Sciences. Also, if you're still really unsure then consider taking a gap year. It's better to do that than start a very expensive degree you could end up regretting.

@Bosgal

I'd just like to reiterate this point. Currently at Imperial doing Geology - I had never studied it, wasn't sure, but it seemed very interesting and came with good employability.
I'm no reapplying for humanities-focussed degrees at different unis. I always knew I was taking a stab in the dark but my first term was extensively depressing and I really wished I had taken a gap year just to work out what I really, actually enjoyed doing; now I'm caught in a very complicated place.
I would advise this: take @Plagioclase's suggestion and read those books(I read How to Build a Habitable Planet in preparation myself), but even after that consider if you really think you could truly immerse yourself in the subject you're applying for. I was interested in fossils and rocks from the moment I could read about them; I lapped up the idea that I could formally study these things at such a prestigious institution, finally. What I didn't realise was that for however interested I was, I was not fascinated, and certainly not in adoration of the subject - nor did it really function with my skillset. The intensity of my A-Level years didn't give me a chance to think about it properly. I seriously regret what I've done as a result.

Just as an aside, perhaps if it makes it clearer, I would love more than anything to become an author myself...so, I can wholeheartedly tell you from my experiences that a STEM degree with 20-25 contact hrs/week is not something you can do on the side, especially not at somewhere like Imperial, even if it is (reputedly easier) Geology...
Original post by SafeDonWedgie
@Bosgal

I'd just like to reiterate this point. Currently at Imperial doing Geology - I had never studied it, wasn't sure, but it seemed very interesting and came with good employability.
I'm no reapplying for humanities-focussed degrees at different unis. I always knew I was taking a stab in the dark but my first term was extensively depressing and I really wished I had taken a gap year just to work out what I really, actually enjoyed doing; now I'm caught in a very complicated place.
I would advise this: take @Plagioclase's suggestion and read those books(I read How to Build a Habitable Planet in preparation myself), but even after that consider if you really think you could truly immerse yourself in the subject you're applying for. I was interested in fossils and rocks from the moment I could read about them; I lapped up the idea that I could formally study these things at such a prestigious institution, finally. What I didn't realise was that for however interested I was, I was not fascinated, and certainly not in adoration of the subject - nor did it really function with my skillset. The intensity of my A-Level years didn't give me a chance to think about it properly. I seriously regret what I've done as a result.

Just as an aside, perhaps if it makes it clearer, I would love more than anything to become an author myself...so, I can wholeheartedly tell you from my experiences that a STEM degree with 20-25 contact hrs/week is not something you can do on the side, especially not at somewhere like Imperial, even if it is (reputedly easier) Geology...

So I would like to study either geology or earth and planetary science at Imperial College London. What would you say the average person who does the course is like. Did they get a bunch of A*s or just the required As. Have they read 10s of books on the subject or just a few.
Did you have an interview, if so what type of questions were you asked mathematical or scientific, or were they about when your interest in the subject arose.
Thank you so much for your previous response
Reply 19
Original post by SafeDonWedgie
@Bosgal

Hi @SafeDonWedgie

Thank you for your addition; you've made very valid points, and your student profile pretty much fits exactly what I'm feeling... I'm very seriously considering a gap year to figure out what I really want to do since Uni is such a huge commitment, as you said. It will also give me time to read some books - I've barely cracked the spine of How to Build a Habitable Planet due to iB coursework and mocks, and I don't expect it to let up anytime soon. The intensity certainly is ramped up - even as I write, the gap year is sounding like the best idea!

Latest

Trending

Trending