The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

thats funny
Five gold rings. Four colly birds, three french hens, two turtle doves and a partridge in a pear treeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...."

* Calling birds
Reply 41
traxhill
but, how you are going to take the keys?
They told me to arrive on 28th September or later..but no sooner than that date.

Give them a ring and explain your situation to them, a few international students did that and had been staying there for 4/5 days when we arrived.
As soon as people walk through the door I'm going to put them in a headlock and knock them to the floor. That way they will definitely remember me through out their uni years.
I always wanted to try a kiss on the hand when meeting a girl, like in the old movies. I think people would find that a bit weird though, so i think i'll stick with "Hi" :p:
Tinkerbee
* Calling birds

I been told - a moment of idiocy, but no one else even attempted 12 days of xmas so ner ner na ner ner :p:
I like handshakes - a hug is a bit too touchy feely for first meetings imo (I like my personal space) but by shaking hands you've broken a barrier down. That might just be how I've been brought up though.
Reply 46
Some people don't like handshakes, for me, its always a bit weird if someone my own age does it, I definately see it as a more formal/business thing. Id appreciate a good wave more, or a dorky high five or thumbs up! :biggrin:

EDIT: While we are on the point, what exactly is the purpose of a handshake? Is it meant to be symbollic of something? Its just such a bizarre custom!
Krazof
Why shake hands? :confused: It seems really formal to me.

Well it depends on what Uni you are going to! :wink:
I hope nobody tries to shake my hand, it makes me feel weird. An awkward wave will suffice :smile:
Reply 49
jakeee
Give them a ring and explain your situation to them, a few international students did that and had been staying there for 4/5 days when we arrived.

well, there is no rush for me..but i thought is not possible :smile:
Reply 50
Candescence
I hope nobody tries to shake my hand, it makes me feel weird. An awkward wave will suffice :smile:

hope to see your face when you meet the first time your boss and he will try to shake your hand honestly with his big smile :smile::smile:
thats funny
I been told - a moment of idiocy, but no one else even attempted 12 days of xmas so ner ner na ner ner :p:

I saw...after I posted :p:
Tinkerbee
I saw...after I posted :p:

oh well - i know now :smile: thanks -
traxhill
hope to see your face when you meet the first time your boss and he will try to shake your hand honestly with his big smile :smile::smile:

Well i don't mean in a situation like that, i mean as an informal greeting.
Reply 54
Candescence
Well i don't mean in a situation like that, i mean as an informal greeting.

i used to think the same..but after a year in a big company, i got used to shake every day a lot of hands...and now even informal i find very nice shaking a hand (especially when you meet a new person, you can see his/hers eyes and read a lot of informations)
:afraid:
Reply 56
So no wine and rohypnol parties on the first night?? (jk)

I was thinking first day, unpack and just run round introducing myself to absolutely anyone and everyone.... maybe some handshakes but probably sticking head through door shouting name and hi, and then moving on to the next room.... Probably have a chat with people, discuss interests etc....
I hate handshakes. I have hands that would look beautiful on a woman but are not exactly manly... A nice manicure and I could model ladies jewelry.
Reply 58
Urgh im not sure on the handshake thing. I find it too awkward. I just tend to go for the "hello" and then a firm thumbs up. I have to do something with my hands but find it uncomfortable doing a handshake and always end up doing a lame/gay wave if I attempt a wave.

Im definetly keeping my door open and offering beer though. No one refuses free beer and it will get you talking
Reply 59
i think its really weird handshaking with a girl ive never been offered one bar an interview. would feel really awkward. just gotta remember EVERYONE is the same position as u!
im nervous about moving into halls but just gotta remember that and the fact i have an amazing personalty and not too bad on the eye ethier! ha!

Latest

Trending

Trending