The Student Room Group

Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC) | Masters & PhD Studentship

I need some help...

Basically I will be applying for the ESRC studentship for a 1+3. I need to apply for the ESRC, as well as complete online applications for an MRes Social Science Research Methods and for PhD in Criminology.

The application involves providing a proposed PhD research which is something I am struggling on. I spoke to the lady in charge of the ESRC scheme at my university to discuss my ideas - and one of the main things she pointed out was: "they are evaluative" and "are these realistic ideas"?

Honestly, it kind of spooked me and I am second-guessing myself hard.

My original ideas were:
1 - Does pet therapy have a positive effect on prisoners in terms of their mental health?
2. Looking at prison cultures, social representation and impact on rehabilitation with comparison to Norway & UK.

For my first idea, she said I need to delve deeper into it. For example, why has it been a success? Is there something else happening?

Basically, I need help on how to approach this. I tend to go overboard with my work - which is a massive problem. I am trying to get my head around how to make a really good PhD proposal as an undergraduate student.

And I would appreciate any help from those who have made an application for PhD, gone through a Ma/MRes/PhD or even applied for the ESRC scheme.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending