The Student Room Group

A Levels for Medicine

I am currently in the British system, and am quiet happy in it, although I keep on hearing how the IB system is very, very much superior. Is this true?

If I have four A-Levels, as I plan on, and many extracurriculars, including work experience and team activities, will I still be regarded as inferior to an IB student who also applies for medicine?

Some of my extracurriculars also display my ability to communicate - my creative writing - and others my passion to learn something new - my coding project.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Don't worry about what IB students think - worry about getting into medicine! I don't see why you would be regarded as inferior by universities. People from all different backgrounds apply to medicine, with a range of qualifications. As long as you work hard in your A levels (especially if you're doing 4! Good luck to your with that!) and in the medicine entrance exams, you will be fine. Don't worry about others, worry about yourself. 4 A levels will be respected regardless. :smile:
You only require 3 A-levels to get into medicine, and taking "extra" A-levels isn't going to score you "bonus" points when applying; offers are normally made on the basis of 3 A-levels and those applying with 4 or more A-levels are usually only required to get passes in any additional A-levels offered. There is no benefit in taking extra A-levels to apply to medicine (or indeed, anything else, unless you are taking maths, further maths, and two other A-levels).

As far as IB vs A-levels go, there is no preference as far as admissions go for any particular examination system provided you meet the subject and grade requirements of the course(s) you are applying to. It is possible that one or the other might make things slightly easier once you are on the course, however in the case of medicine the primary barrier to entry is getting onto a medical degree in the first place; after that point, it's more or less a conveyor belt to a foundation post unless you fail something in the course.

may be able to correct me if I'm wrong (and no doubt advise otherwise on the subject), but my general impression is that universities, including medical schools, don't particularly care about extra-curricular activities unrelated to the degree programme in question. For medicine what is "relevant" might be a little more broadly defined than most other courses as demonstrating e.g. leadership ability, team work skills, and empathy are important qualities for prospective doctors. However things like, playing an instrument to a particular grade, doing creative writing, writing some program in code, aren't really relevant except where they demonstrate those abilities specifically.

I think overall you have an extremely inaccurate idea of how medical school (and indeed, university) admissions works in the UK. I would strongly recommend you spend a lot more time researching the entry criteria and shortlisting methodologies used by medical schools, and what they are actually looking for a result. I would also suggest you dispel any preconceptions you may currently hold about university admissions, since they seem mistaken on the whole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending