The Student Room Group

EPQ

how did you choose the title of your EPQ and decide on the topic you were going to choose?
Original post by leollama
how did you choose the title of your EPQ and decide on the topic you were going to choose?

Hello!

If you are struggling to pick a topic I would suggest trying the following task to help you generate ideas:

Write down three things that interest you.
E.g.
1. Football
2. People’s rights
3. History

After writing down these three things give a reason why you are interested in these choices. E.g.
Football may be a choice because you play it in your own time or for a local team.

Finally, select one of those three choices and think of a further three topics you can cover for that choice. E.g.
1. Women in football
2. Football Hooligans
3. International players in the premiership

From there you can develop on this idea and the topics you have decided upon.
For each of the three topics make a note of the following:
- The issues, theories or people that may be involved in the project.
- The practicality of the idea will there be enough resources available?
- Are there any risks involved?
- Do you have the skills for this project?
- Will you be able to complete it in the time available?
- What areas would you need to research?
- Can you think of a suitable question/title?

If you follow this it should help you generate an idea which you find appealing, from there you can develop it and how you are going to research for this topic.

It might be a bit of a longer response than you initially hope for but it should be useful to develop an organic topic you are interested in and not one just picked from a hat! :tongue:

I hope this helps. :smile:

Patrick :lep:

The best advice I can give is to think about what you want to do as a career, what you enjoy, and what you’ll find easy to research. If you need help there are loads of examples and resources online.
Reply 3
Original post by drowsydaisy
The best advice I can give is to think about what you want to do as a career, what you enjoy, and what you’ll find easy to research. If you need help there are loads of examples and resources online.

thank you so much
Patrick’s advice is really great - the key is making sure it’s what you enjoy! For me, I was already reading about the subject in my spare time, so when it came to doing it as a formal project, it didn’t really feel like extra work and the essay almost wrote itself.

Also don’t be afraid to do ‘common’ or ‘basic’ topics, such as discussions around euthanasia, morality, stem cells etc - obviously it’s great to show originality so try and put your own spin on it, but the reality is lots of people do an EPQ, so you shouldn’t shy away from a popular topic, if you’re interested in it, just because other people do it too :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hello!

If you are struggling to pick a topic I would suggest trying the following task to help you generate ideas:

Write down three things that interest you.
E.g.
1. Football
2. People’s rights
3. History

After writing down these three things give a reason why you are interested in these choices. E.g.
Football may be a choice because you play it in your own time or for a local team.

Finally, select one of those three choices and think of a further three topics you can cover for that choice. E.g.
1. Women in football
2. Football Hooligans
3. International players in the premiership

From there you can develop on this idea and the topics you have decided upon.
For each of the three topics make a note of the following:
- The issues, theories or people that may be involved in the project.
- The practicality of the idea will there be enough resources available?
- Are there any risks involved?
- Do you have the skills for this project?
- Will you be able to complete it in the time available?
- What areas would you need to research?
- Can you think of a suitable question/title?

If you follow this it should help you generate an idea which you find appealing, from there you can develop it and how you are going to research for this topic.

It might be a bit of a longer response than you initially hope for but it should be useful to develop an organic topic you are interested in and not one just picked from a hat! :tongue:

I hope this helps. :smile:

Patrick :lep:

thank you so much, i have found this really helpful.
thank you so much, i have found this really helpful.

You are more than welcome. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest