The Student Room Group

Should I do an EPQ?

So, I'm in year 12 and I'm currently doing four subjects (history, politics, maths and philosophy). I'm considering dropping either politics or philosophy, but I really do not want to as I love both of them. However, I was wondering if it would be a smart decision to do an EPQ, as I'm already doing four subjects. An EPQ would be excellent for university applications, but I don't want to create too much of a workload for myself. Maybe do an EPQ and drop one of my subjects, or try doing an EPQ and then dropping that if it's too much?
Hi, I'm Y12 as well, and literally have just been dealing with this issue.
I'm taking four subs as well (maths, bio, chem and physics) and was weighing up the idea of taking an EPQ. If you really love your subjects and want to keep them, then I would advise against an EPQ, as this will only take your time and attention away from your already heavy workload. However, if you're definitely going to drop a subject, then I would advise taking up an EPQ. At the end of the day, an EPQ can only score up to half as many points as a well done A level, so in terms of unis I'm not sure it would be good to apply with four average a levels and an average EPQ as compared to four a levels with great grades.
In regards to taking up an EPQ with an intent to drop it if you can't balance the load....I'm not sure. I would say that would be straining yourself in the easier days of sixth form, but then again it's up to you, and your work ethic and your ability to balance your health and work.
Honestly, do what would make you the most comfortable and happy. If you love your subjects, keep them. If you're desperate to do an EPQ because you really love the concept that you've come up with, then take one, only I would then advise you to drop a subject. But do what makes you happy and take the option that won't affect your health.

I've just read that over and I seem to be really repetitive....sorry about that ahaha.
Hi I'm also Y12, and I was weighing up this issue near the start of term.
I'm doing four subjects (maths, physics, chem and further maths, although I originally started with bio, not fm) and I was considering taking an EPQ. Right now, in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't take one on, as I am already swamped with work and the constant revision that I have to do to maintain my grades for upcoming assessments. Despite not taking an EPQ I'm already considering dropping fm so that I can focus on my other subjects and do well in them.
My friends who are doing EPQs remark a lot about having to independently research, and how much time and effort this takes them. Personally, I'd find that a lot more time consuming than revising or learning new content that is already structured and laid out in the specs.

At the end of the day, my advice would be to either take four subjects (and don't feel bad if you have to drop one to keep up with the others) or three subjects and an EPQ with the aim of enjoying your undertakings and not getting burnt out in Y12.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending