The Student Room Group

Work pressures

I’m 14, year 10 and doing my GCSE’s at the moment. I am aware everything will only get harder, and I should be grateful I only get the amount of work I do now,but I’m finding it really hard and I was wondering, does anyone have any tips on how to cope? I feel like my whole days are overtaken by work and the thought of work. I get 10 pieces of homework a week- + more if I’m unlucky and there’s classwork my teachers haven’t had time to let us do during class and I am required to do. Each piece is really big so takes me about 4 hours,English pieces normally take about 8. in between classes during breaks before school after school I have to spend time doing all the homework to get it done, it’s really stressful because I feel like my whole day is on a timer until I go to bed to squeeze a piece of work in, I don’t get any break at all until 7pm because I don’t have time if I want to finish enough to have at-least 1 day off(Saturday). I sometimes do homework on Saturday but not always. However Sunday I wake up at 5 am and go till about 5pm to get any unfinished work done before Monday. Then the whole process repeats.I have absolutely no time to do anything I want to do or even to eat enough and even my parents are angry because they say I work too much and that ‘nothing Is more important to me than work’ which is untrue, I don’t want to be doing it either. I just have no choice if I want to pass but it makes me feel guilty for working. I’m considering selling my guinea pigs because I need the time I spend cleaning their cage to do work. I love them and don’t want to do that. It doesn’t help that I’m a perfectionist and can’t cope with missing a piece or sending a piece in that I feel isn’t good enough. My teachers are hard to please so anything less than I do now is a bad grade.I’m also trying to learn a 34 chapter math gcse revision guide bevsue my teacher is bad and doesn’t teach me anything, so that’s up to me too. I also have notes to write up at the end of the day and file which also takes ages. It’s the worst feeling because I feel like my whole entire life is just work and grades and I honestly don’t think can keep it up without failing the end exam. I missed a day of school last week for a hospital appointment and now I have soooo much catching up to do and a bunch of homework I’ve fallen back on because I missed ONE day.
So aha any tips? Sorry for the rant! :smile:
Reply 1
sorry, but how does English take 8 hours ???
Original post by myraxo
sorry, but how does English take 8 hours ???

You tell me haha it’s just tricky and there’s a lot to write. Their more or less essay pieces. My teacher is pleased with my inputs tho
That's way too much work especially for year 10 holy ****, I would advise you to speak to your head of year or student support about it all and see what they say. But also try to be less of a perfectionist and this so gonna sound weird but stop working so hard you are going to burn yourself out

if you want to learn maths use hegarty maths (if you have an account) it's really really good

ps pls no sell guinea pigs they too nice to sell
(edited 4 years ago)
You have to get out of the perfectionist mindset. At the end of the day, “good enough” is really good enough. You won’t have 8 hours to write an English essay in an exam so what’s the point? Plus, this will just train you to spend ages on essays and when you get to the exam you won’t be able to write it in the time limit.

Are other people in your classes having the same problem, or just you?

Quick Reply

Latest