The Student Room Group

feel burntout in uni

im in first year, studying biomedical science. 1 month left till my exams and i am really really stressed. i didnt do biology OR chem in my a levels so im verymuch behind

idk if i can make it
i just wanna cry cuz my parents are literally funding everything and the least i can do is get a good grade but i am so tired lol im really so scared
Reply 1
(btw i do enjoy my course im just rly tired and stressed)
Original post by fried399
im in first year, studying biomedical science. 1 month left till my exams and i am really really stressed. i didnt do biology OR chem in my a levels so im verymuch behind

idk if i can make it
i just wanna cry cuz my parents are literally funding everything and the least i can do is get a good grade but i am so tired lol im really so scared

Hey there @fried399 !

It sounds like a lot of mounted pressure on yourself that's built up and you're stuck in a bad position because of it. Most of the time burnout is a result of too strict of a routine on yourself that you just get bored. In your case it may be this mounted pressure may have allowed you to fall into a routine that you're berating yourself for. My advice to you is to switch things up in order to regain back a good work-life balance that should help you take control of the stress you're facing. Whether this be changing up where you study (going to a coffee shop etc.) or changing the times that you study (doing short bursts rather than a long haul) it should help to switch things up a bit. There is evidence to say that studying for a shorter amount of time and taking more regular breaks proves more beneficial in terms of managing things and it's very important not to forget to keep up the social aspect of your life as well. It's very important not to isolate yourself when in periods of stress and to lean on the people around you for support which should help to take some of the pressure off yourself.

At the end of the day, you just have to keep remembering that this degree is for you and no one else. Sure your family may be paying for it but you're the one who gets the rewards from it. You have to work for you and no one else and then in 10 years time maybe you can prove to them that it was all worth it when you're successful in your career but for right now this degree is for you and only you. Don't think about anyone else and it should help to take the pressure off.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending