The Student Room Group

Is this hate crime

So basically, these people in my year at school make fun of me due to my middle name, which is Chyna.
For instance they make fun of my eyes and they start saying jokes about me being deported to China and etc...
I told my dad and he said its hate crime. Is it hate crime though?
My teacher doesn't care that they are insulting me; he just thinks I'm disrupting the class.
Also they take my work and copy the answers. Im not sure what to do. My dad has been very helpful but I feel the need to talk about it to people who won't judge(My friends will judge me if I tell them).
What do I do someone pls help? Thank you
do you give them a reaction? they seem very immature, I would try to ignore them and tell any other trusted adult from school. how old are you btw?
It's hate crime if there's an actual crime involved.
This is just verbal abuse.
Reply 3
Original post by hallaluliah
do you give them a reaction? they seem very immature, I would try to ignore them and tell any other trusted adult from school. how old are you btw?

im in year 10, so 14 years old. Does this make me immature?
Reply 4
If this is not hate crime then what is this??
Original post by amber.05
If this is not hate crime then what is this??

As I said, its verbal abuse and bullying, if the teacher doesn't care then go to someone higher up.
im in year 10, so 14 years old. Does this make me immature?

well age doesn't define maturity but your year group should focus on their studies instead of bullying others, you can talk to childline if this verbal abuse is bothering you a lot. Try to ignore it and not give any reaction to them, also try not to let them take your homework
its lame. record them saying it and send it to them in a couple years, they'll die of cringe
Reply 8
Original post by davesantana
loool. its lame af why does it trigger you. record them saying it and send it to them in a couple years, they'll die of cringe

im sorry but it's not funny. If you were in my position you wouldn't find it that funny.
Reply 9
unrealistic to think a tsr user can decipher a crime based on 5 sentences. not even a qualified solicitor/barrister can do that.

if your teacher doesn't take you seriously, then you need to take it to their boss. do this on Monday. it's easier to deal with this stuff internally rather than involving the police.

also i moved your thread to Advice on everyday issues :h:
More just bullying. It's the same premis as a hate crime- doing a bad thing fuled by something that makes you different- but it's not really serious enough to be considered a crime. Obviously it's a big deal to you and its absolutely not an okay thing for them to be doing, but it's not really a crime.

I will be against your schools rules though so if you did want something done about it you could write a letter to your head of year/ somebody like that explaining what is happening and nothing what makes it wrong (bonus points if you can quote the school rule it breaks). If nothing gets done take it to the head teacher, then the governors etc.

Depending on how serious it is though the best option could be to ignore them or stand up for yourself. Whatever you're doing right now try to do the other thing and see if it changes stuff.
Unfortunately there is a limit to what your school can do and there are some situations where getting them involved would make you more of a target if anything.

I can't tell you which side of that line you're on. Just bare it in mind when you're deciding what to do.

To stand up for yourself a simple "piss off" can be effective sometimes. Depending on the person it can also help to confront them and tell them how much of an ass they are being. Some people honest don't realise. I was a bit mean to somebody in my class once and I'm glad they pointed it out so I could realise and stop. People are kinda stupid.
Original post by Kindred
More just bullying. It's the same premis as a hate crime- doing a bad thing fuled by something that makes you different- but it's not really serious enough to be considered a crime. Obviously it's a big deal to you and its absolutely not an okay thing for them to be doing, but it's not really a crime.

I will be against your schools rules though so if you did want something done about it you could write a letter to your head of year/ somebody like that explaining what is happening and nothing what makes it wrong (bonus points if you can quote the school rule it breaks). If nothing gets done take it to the head teacher, then the governors etc.

Depending on how serious it is though the best option could be to ignore them or stand up for yourself. Whatever you're doing right now try to do the other thing and see if it changes stuff.
Unfortunately there is a limit to what your school can do and there are some situations where getting them involved would make you more of a target if anything.

I can't tell you which side of that line you're on. Just bare it in mind when you're deciding what to do.

To stand up for yourself a simple "piss off" can be effective sometimes. Depending on the person it can also help to confront them and tell them how much of an ass they are being. Some people honest don't realise. I was a bit mean to somebody in my class once and I'm glad they pointed it out so I could realise and stop. People are kinda stupid.

That said, bullying and constantly harassing people can reach a point where it becomes a crime. It really depends on the situation. Basically what I'm saying is that it isn't automatically a crime. It could be, but it would need to go past a certain point.
And then you get into the whole messy area of things technically being crimes, but not being at all enforcible. So sometimes even if something is a crime it still won't be managed how other crimes are.

I hope that makes sense.
I really don't mean to minimise what you're going through. It's really hard to spend so much time in a place and not feel secure there. I really hope this gets resolved somehow.
im sorry but it's not funny. If you were in my position you wouldn't find it that funny.

i've been in your position except it was a nickname. carried on for like 2-3 years. i used to HATE it, but now i that i look back at it; i gave it too much time and attention. had i ignored it it would've stopped. learn to not care and brush it away-this is a ****ing valuable skill. any haters anyone who tries to put you down, anything they say shouldnt be processed. focus on your passions and try not give a ****.
So basically, these people in my year at school make fun of me due to my middle name, which is Chyna.
For instance they make fun of my eyes and they start saying jokes about me being deported to China and etc...
I told my dad and he said its hate crime. Is it hate crime though?
My teacher doesn't care that they are insulting me; he just thinks I'm disrupting the class.
Also they take my work and copy the answers. Im not sure what to do. My dad has been very helpful but I feel the need to talk about it to people who won't judge(My friends will judge me if I tell them).
What do I do someone pls help? Thank you

Hiya,
Really sorry to hear you are going through this. I can honestly so relate as my first name people took the mic out of a lot. What I would say is first of all there's nothing wrong with your name or who you are as a person (how you look). Secondly, that is racism or hate crime if they are targeting a specific feature about you that is special or unique to you. I would tell the teachers higher up than the class teacher such as a head of year or head of that department of class you are learning in. It is absolutely unacceptable for anyone to talk to you like that. Hope this helped. :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya,
Really sorry to hear you are going through this. I can honestly so relate as my first name people took the mic out of a lot. What I would say is first of all there's nothing wrong with your name or who you are as a person (how you look). Secondly, that is racism or hate crime if they are targeting a specific feature about you that is special or unique to you. I would tell the teachers higher up than the class teacher such as a head of year or head of that department of class you are learning in. It is absolutely unacceptable for anyone to talk to you like that. Hope this helped. :smile:

Thank you so much. I will go to a my head of year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending