The Student Room Group

Is 19 old to start Uni?

Ok so I’m planning on taking a gap year next year, I’m not 100% on what I wanna do at uni so it seems like the right thing to do. I feel like starting a year late will be weird because even though it’s only a year all my friends will be 18 whilst I’ll be 19/20. I know it won’t make a difference really but I hate being the oldest person in a scenario. I am also worried about the fact that any boyfriends I have will be younger than me. Are many people 19 when they start uni or would it just be me???
You do realise a lot of people who go straight from Year 13 to uni will be 19 as they start right? Obviously it's not 'too old'.
There are loads of people I know in first year that came in 19 and are turning 20. (one I know is 20 turning 21 and doesn't stand out at all)
Original post by ImHungry1
Ok so I’m planning on taking a gap year next year, I’m not 100% on what I wanna do at uni so it seems like the right thing to do. I feel like starting a year late will be weird because even though it’s only a year all my friends will be 18 whilst I’ll be 19/20. I know it won’t make a difference really but I hate being the oldest person in a scenario. I am also worried about the fact that any boyfriends I have will be younger than me. Are many people 19 when they start uni or would it just be me???

Hi!

I took a gap year so I know what you mean. But this is what I can say:
The best thing about University is that you don't have to stick to your cohort all the time. When you sign up for societies or anything else you will come across people from older years. Everyone usually interacts quite well so I wouldn't worry. Also quite a few people take a gap year so you won't be the only person in that situation. If anything, it's something to bond over!

Best Wishes,
MJ
4th Year MBBS
St. George's

Quick Reply

Latest