The Student Room Group

Is this a bad age gap?

So I'm 19 and will be 20 early next year. My boyfriend is 23 and soon to turn 24. I'm starting uni soon (obvs will be with 18 year olds) and am worried that people are gonna judge me for dating someone this much older than me. I'm also worried that it will be weird with them when he visits because they're quite a lot younger than him, even though he's super nice and gets along with everyone.

Some people I've spoken to said that this age gap doesn't matter at all, others have been a bit surprised. Am I overthinking this?

I genuinely don't feel weird around him at all, we get on really well, and we have mutual friends who are between 19-24.
Reply 1
It fits the 1/2 age + 7 rule so it’s fine
A 4 year age gap between consenting adults is fine. :smile:
My Mom was 25, and my Dad was 21 when I was born, I came out perfectly fine hahaha
This age gap seems very normal to me honestly
At 19 and 23 you are at different life stages. It is a big gap now but a 30 an 35 year old are fine. People grow up and change so much from 19 to 24 so he has loads more life experience when you have only been an 'adult' 5 minutes ago. If you were my daughter I'd rather you dated someone maximum 21.
Original post by ginandtonique
So I'm 19 and will be 20 early next year. My boyfriend is 23 and soon to turn 24. I'm starting uni soon (obvs will be with 18 year olds) and am worried that people are gonna judge me for dating someone this much older than me. I'm also worried that it will be weird with them when he visits because they're quite a lot younger than him, even though he's super nice and gets along with everyone.

Some people I've spoken to said that this age gap doesn't matter at all, others have been a bit surprised. Am I overthinking this?

I genuinely don't feel weird around him at all, we get on really well, and we have mutual friends who are between 19-24.

No definitely not. It is absolutely fine 😀
Original post by Zarek
It fits the 1/2 age + 7 rule so it’s fine

So if I’m 40, I can be dating someone up to the age of 67?
If both people are happy then they shouldn't care about societal rules
Original post by Anonymous

If that floats your boat

EDIT:- Michael Douglas was about 55 when he married Catherine Zeta Jones, and she was 30 at the time... they're still very much together some 23 years later.

If that's "ok", then I don't think anyone will have a problem with the one you described.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 9

Yes, you’d certainly be mature enough to weigh up if it was right for you and it wouldn’t raise any eyebrows too significantly
I'm 19 , my gf is 18 turning 19 this year ,is that bad?
I'm 19 , my gf is 18 turning 19 this year ,is that bad?

You're asking if your GF being within 12 months of your age is 'wrong'?
Reply 12
Original post by Admit-One

You're asking if your GF being within 12 months of your age is 'wrong'?

My 19th birthday was on the 5th of September and my gf's 19th bd is on the 16th of Dec
Original post by Igeanlife
My 19th birthday was on the 5th of September and my gf's 19th bd is on the 16th of Dec

Any why do you feel that is an issue?
Reply 14
As for me it's cool , what's your take
Reply 15
Its absolutely fine. I knew much bigger age gaps. Most people don't care enough to give you a hard time for it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending