The Student Room Group

Be honest, am I old for uni?

I’m a little nervous going into uni at 22. (Starts 2 days after my birthday).

I was previously at university for 3 months at 19, but the course I did was just not for me and I decided to not waste my time and leave. I took a lot of time out to figure out what I wanted to do through research and working in certain industries.

Im figuring the students in halls will know instantly that I’m not their age and will be weirded out by the fact that I’m a 22 year old.

Will they see me as some type of creep or something?

I had made quite a lot of friends at uni previously, so it’s not like I’m anti social or something.

Scroll to see replies

No-one cares about the age you start.
(edited 1 year ago)
You're never too old for uni! My dad studied his degree when he was in his thirties whilst raising me; you will be nowhere near the oldest there. Good luck :smile:
22 is literally nothing. Post school, you're thrown into classes/lectures/jobs with people from 18-60. It doesn't matter, no one cares. 22 is literally a baby.
Hi :hello:

I wouldn’t say you are too old for uni at 22 and this is coming from someone who is 34 and at uni!

I felt the same way you did around feeling older and standing out due to my age before I began my first year, but my age hasn’t mattered at all. In fact, it has been a bonus!

Being above 21 means that you would be classed as a mature student and this helped me meet people at the start of the year as I attended a mature student’s event, and it was great to meet other people who felt the way I did.

I am very social like yourself and before long I got to make many different friends of different ages and I had a great first year.

Don’t worry about your age, just enjoy your uni experience and I hope you have a great time

Luke Portsmouth Student Rep
Original post by Anonymous

I was previously at university for 3 months at 19, but the course I did was just not for me and I decided to not waste my time and leave. I took a lot of time out to figure out what I wanted to do through research and working in certain industries.

Im figuring the students in halls will know instantly that I’m not their age and will be weirded out by the fact that I’m a 22 year old.

I had made quite a lot of friends at uni previously, so it’s not like I’m anti social or something.

Ohh I think the titles a bit misleading! I thought you were going to be 40+
22 is nothing! I hope you have an amazing start to uni!!
No I started uni at 24. There were older people on my course and around uni.
I meant to say on other courses too
Nope
People of all ages in all years

Hey :h:

I started uni at 21 and was pleasantly surprised to find that the ages of fellow students on my course really varied. There will probably be more mature students than you're expecting! In my experience, nobody really cares. Good on you for recognising that the course you did at 19 wasn't for you and moving on to do something you feel better about. We're all on different paths, and no timeline of doing things is set in stone. Wishing you all the very best with it - have a wonderful time!

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies

Hi there!

There is no right or wrong age to go to uni. Im in my final year of my psychology degree and there is a huge age range on my course. I would say that most of my cohort are in their 20s but there are numerous students who are in their 30s/40s and even 50s and they aren't treated any differently. I think there is a massive misconception that age is an important factor when going to uni but it honesty isn't. What matters is the shared experience of being at uni and studying your subject. I had a flatmate who was 23 and was worried about the same thing but he soon came to realise that uni is a really diverse and inclusive environment. Hope this helps:smile:

Good luck with your degree and let me know if you have any questions that I can help with!

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep

Not at all! University has such a variety of students, my mom started university at 31 so I think 22 is quite young, I don't think people will see you as a creep as at all! when my mom went to uni everyone was welcoming and she saw people from different ages, I think you did the right thing for taking some time to figure out what you want and I hope you enjoy your course!
Reply 12

Had a 27 year old guy in our flat. Never thought about his age once. Studied, ate, went clubbing and pubbing together all the same. Your flatmates are going to decide if they like you based on things you can control. You're also probably going to meet a lot of poeple your age or older - dont deep it my guy.
I started at 21 and turned 22 in the December and nobody knew I was a little older to be totally fair I looked and still look fairly young for my age in fact I think a lot of people thought I was about 15 until they got to know me then they thought I was 18 until I to’l them my actual age 22 isn’t that much older than 18 as long as you don’t make an issue of it I think you’ll be ok. I’ve been ID’d and outright refused entry so many times it’s unreal.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 14
before opening the thread i thought op was going to say 35 or something, which honestly is a bit old for the 'social' side of things.

but 22 - just no.
Reply 15

One piece of advice I have for you though, If you're interacting with younger people at uni, and maybe have a friend group with them, never draw attention to the fact that you're older, have more life experience, that you're more mature. I promise you things go prettty sour from there. I've seen it happen with other people. You just have to let people grow up a bit.
Original post by ziggy03
One piece of advice I have for you though, If you're interacting with younger people at uni, and maybe have a friend group with them, never draw attention to the fact that you're older, have more life experience, that you're more mature. I promise you things go prettty sour from there. I've seen it happen with other people. You just have to let people grow up a bit.

I agree there is nothing wrong with sharing life experience though like from ages year or something.
Reply 17
Original post by jonathanemptage
I agree there is nothing wrong with sharing life experience though like from ages year or something.

completely agree, its when it starts to turn into an aloof, condescending manner talking about maturity and life experiences!
Nope. First bout at Uni was at 23, in halls and everything. Nobody cared.

Second Uni adventure was at 31 and now, at 38 I'm 3 years away from finishing my 3rd Uni adventure. Again, never had issues with age.

Hey!

I’m a second year ARU student and I’m also a mature student (32). I had similar worries before starting and I put off applying for a few years as I was worried.

Now in my second year, I realise I had absolutely nothing to worry about. My particular course has an age range from 18-40. ARU has loads of students that are not 18-19. I felt so relieved to find that there was lots of other students that had decided to take the university journey a little later in life. My mains friends at uni are, 24,30 and 39. I’m also certain this is the case in most other university.

Try not to worry, once you’re there you’ll fit in just fine and realise your age doesn’t matter at all! No one will think you’re a creep!

Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Sophie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending