The Student Room Group

A Level Opinions: Geography, Sociology, Psychology

Does anyone do any of these at a level? if so, please tell me anything about it!!
Hi there!

I do Psychology at A Level and I love it! Its really interesting, especially the biopsychology topic for me, as I do biology for A Levels too. Understanding the content isn't hard, but there's a lot of memorising. You need to remember a lot of figures for key studies and there's a lot of writing; for AS you need to write an essay for 12 marks, and then in the second year, you need to be able to write 16 marker essays. But like I said, its not too difficult and really interesting!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by ThePsychKid
Hi there!

I do Psychology at A Level and I love it! Its really interesting, especially the biopsychology topic for me, as I do biology for A Levels too. Understanding the content isn't hard, but there's a lot of memorising. You need to remember a lot of figures for key studies and there's a lot of writing; for AS you need to write an essay for 12 marks, and then in the second year, you need to be able to write 16 marker essays. But like I said, its not too difficult and really interesting!

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask :smile:

Oh no, I'm quite bad at memorising things haha!! It still sounds really interesting though so I guess I'll just have to revise a lot harder to get things to stay in my head. Thanks for the info :smile:
Oof RIP then, mate lol. Yeah as long as you genuinely like the subject, you'll be fine. You should try doing chemistry... even if you get the concept, you still fail lol. Ah no worries! If you ever have a question on any of the topics, feel free to PM me so I can try helping you as its good revision for me too since I'm doing my exams this June :frown:
(edited 4 years ago)
I'm doing Sociology and Psychology.

With Sociology, you do need to remember some key concepts and names of sociologists. There is essay writing as well but it's interesting to look at all the different perspectives like Marxism and to learn about society.

With Psychology, as previously stated, you do need to remember some key studies. There is also evaluation you have to memorise and again essay questions. There is also math included but it's usually to do with statistics like sampling techniques, means etc. People got advised to take Maths at A level alongside it but I didn't and it seems to be going okay.

I would advise looking at the different specifications and seeing what they cover and their markschemes. You may not know your exam board but you could take a glance at AQA or OCR to get a general feel of the subject. You could always just wait and see how you feel about the subject as you study. It's early on so if you don't like it, you could substitute it for another.

Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest