The Student Room Group

Kings college wimbledon sixth form

Hi everyone! I was lucky enough to get a place to KCS Wimbledon starting in 2020. I’m a girl and am wondering - what is the environment like regarding boys and girls? Is it worth moving there for sixth form (I am currently at PHS and it’s great but I want a change). Also how stressful is it there work wise? I’m not predicted all nines whatsoever (frankly can’t believe I got in lol). Thanks for the help!!
Hi there! I can't answer your question, but I was hoping you could answer mine. I also applied for 2020 entry at KCS, am predicted 8 9s and 2 8s, I got to interview, however, I did not get a place. I was wondering how your interviews went/what subjects you picked/ any reasons why they picked you, as I will be interviewing at other schools and want to know where I went wrong. Thanks!
What other schools did you apply to?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by witchypengui
Hi everyone! I was lucky enough to get a place to KCS Wimbledon starting in 2020. I’m a girl and am wondering - what is the environment like regarding boys and girls? Is it worth moving there for sixth form (I am currently at PHS and it’s great but I want a change). Also how stressful is it there work wise? I’m not predicted all nines whatsoever (frankly can’t believe I got in lol). Thanks for the help!!

Hi I’m a girl who got in for 2020 and am also wondering the same thing. Worried about the mixed environment and also about whether to move from my current school.
Original post by littlebluepuppy
Hi there! I can't answer your question, but I was hoping you could answer mine. I also applied for 2020 entry at KCS, am predicted 8 9s and 2 8s, I got to interview, however, I did not get a place. I was wondering how your interviews went/what subjects you picked/ any reasons why they picked you, as I will be interviewing at other schools and want to know where I went wrong. Thanks!

Hi - I found the interviews a lot easier than the tests, I think because I’m naturally very extroverted and I find talking to adults very easy (whereas I was worried about the tests as I’m not naturally very good at maths and thought that might be problematic). There were some questions I didn’t know the answers to but I tried to look interested to find out what the answer was (there was a lot of them teaching me lol!) I took interviews in German, Music and English. Other than German they were largely subjective in that I didn’t need to recall information and was asked what I thought about the score/poem. I’ve been playing music for 11 years of my life and German and English are my strongest subjects at school. Some of my friends said that the science interviews were a lot more fact based which I can imagine was a lot more difficult. My advice to you would be for your other entrance tests to make sure you choose both your strong subjects and subjects you are very interested in. In terms of the rest of my application, I think my statement (both personal and recommendation from the school) might have played quite a large part. I do a lot of music clubs in school and also did volunteering last year for DofE. In that area my advice would be that no matter how pretentious/show-off you think listing your commitments etc is, you should put as many as you can on the statement (while still being as concise as possible). Lastly I think I may have been given some credit because I applied for (and obtained) an exhibition in music at the school. I think this may have helped me because they probably want as many female/new musicians in for sixth form. Hope this helped and also that you’re successful in your other entrance tests. Let me know if you have any other questions!!
Original post by Shavi25
Hi I’m a girl who got in for 2020 and am also wondering the same thing. Worried about the mixed environment and also about whether to move from my current school.

I’ve decided I’m definitely going unless I suddenly change my mind at the last minute. I think having this change now to a mixed environment is important because it gets you ready for university (where you would have to move from your school anyway obviously). I have spoken to quite a lot of people currently at Kings and they’ve said that although the first half term can be a bit intense because of the sudden shift, by the second the girls have been fully integrated. It seems that the most intense part is the move from GCSEs to A Level but I think that would be true at any school. Honestly I think we’ll be fine as there’s a big effort from the school to try and make us comfortable with the bowling/quiz night etc. I feel that as we will be the tenth(?) cohort of girls going in they’ll be good at integrating us. It is scary though I know!! I’m sure it will be fine. Are you taking A Level or IB and which subjects?
Thanks! I was in fact interviewing for the science which were very fact based! I want to be a vet so don’t have many options with the subjects I choose for interview. I was surprised to not get in, as I also have done both bronze and silver DofE, I go to maths masterclasses at Imperial College London, I am currently doing Grade 8 LAMDA, and play for a hockey team. I received a letter from the head saying I was an excellent candidate but there were so many that they didn’t have room. It’s difficult to improve upon that for me as I don’t have any other big talents such as music. Thanks for your advice!
Original post by littlebluepuppy
What other schools did you apply to?

sorry this is so late - but only Kings and also applied for scholarships at Putney
Reply 8
Original post by witchypengui
sorry this is so late - but only Kings and also applied for scholarships at Putney

Hey! ik this was ages ago for you but i'm applying to KCS this year and am don't really know whats to prepare for, for the english and general papers, if you remember at all what the papers where like, could you let me know, but don't worry if not!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending