The Student Room Group

art gcse - special consideration?

hi, sorry if this sounds a little silly, but does art gcse give special consideration when grading if a student has been absent numerous times during coursework? i'm really stressed because i haven't done a lot compared to others as i'm constantly in hospital and miss out. my year 9 book apparently will get low marks because my old teacher made us all do the same sort of work - so there wasn't much independent stuff going on. whereas for my year 11 book my teacher ripped out all my pages and told me to add it to my previous book, despite there being no links to the theme. i'm not sure if this badly affects the grades but i feel really anxious about it all.

i was wondering if there was special consideration if there's little work, for a good excuse. again, sorry if that sounds silly and selfish.

thank you in advance! ♥️
Reply 1
Hi,
Please do not worry, similar has happened at my school before I know for a fact. It depends on your reasoning, usually reasons such as serious illness give a small amount of extra marks. I am sure in your case it would, but you can get external examiners to mark the work if this is a problem with your school. Art coursework really depends on dedication towards your work, I know that is hard, I am completing mine too! Please do never think your work is rubbish, art is very subjective and in this way can have serious implications.
My tips for your course work is...
1. Look over what work you have, does it link through to the original idea eg.habitat? Make your work flow through your thought process.
2. Use a variety of mediums. The main 3 to focus on for me is pen, pencil, and ink. Annotations should highlight media and what experience you have with it.
3. My work so far is the following, even if you add one drawing per section to a board, it will help you greatly.

Moodboard
Artist study- draw one of their pictures and incorporate their style or ideas into your work.
Ideas- sketch some rough drawings of one or 2 concepts
Photoshoot- take some quick pictures and draw one of them to show how you learn about, for example, form
Media- what will you use for your final idea- ink, pencil etc.
Composition- where will everything be placed, what colour is most impacting...
Outcome- a final outcome to your project- what all your work has led up to

Hope this helps and have a good week :smile:
Reply 2
Regs say:

Shortfall in work (coursework/non-examination assessment)

5.3 If a candidate has been subject to an unforeseen prolonged illness or other misfortune during the period when the work was being produced, it may, in some subjects, be possible to accept a reduced quantity of work without penalty. However, all of the assessment objectives must have been covered at least once. This will not be possible if the specification only requires one piece.
Where several pieces of work are required, the reduction will only be accepted if those pieces are testing the same criteria. It will not be possible to give this consideration in every case. For example, if work has not been submitted, the assessment objectives have not been satisfied or the candidate joined the course late.
Reply 3
Original post by Moonbow
but you can get external examiners to mark the work if this is a problem

No you can't.
Reply 4
Original post by Moonbow
Hi,
Please do not worry, similar has happened at my school before I know for a fact. It depends on your reasoning, usually reasons such as serious illness give a small amount of extra marks. I am sure in your case it would, but you can get external examiners to mark the work if this is a problem with your school. Art coursework really depends on dedication towards your work, I know that is hard, I am completing mine too! Please do never think your work is rubbish, art is very subjective and in this way can have serious implications.
My tips for your course work is...
1. Look over what work you have, does it link through to the original idea eg.habitat? Make your work flow through your thought process.
2. Use a variety of mediums. The main 3 to focus on for me is pen, pencil, and ink. Annotations should highlight media and what experience you have with it.
3. My work so far is the following, even if you add one drawing per section to a board, it will help you greatly.

Moodboard
Artist study- draw one of their pictures and incorporate their style or ideas into your work.
Ideas- sketch some rough drawings of one or 2 concepts
Photoshoot- take some quick pictures and draw one of them to show how you learn about, for example, form
Media- what will you use for your final idea- ink, pencil etc.
Composition- where will everything be placed, what colour is most impacting...
Outcome- a final outcome to your project- what all your work has led up to

Hope this helps and have a good week :smile:

thank you so very, very much! ♥️ i feel a lot less stressed now and i'm sure i can work something out.

hope you have a good week too! ☺️
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
Regs say:

Shortfall in work (coursework/non-examination assessment)

5.3 If a candidate has been subject to an unforeseen prolonged illness or other misfortune during the period when the work was being produced, it may, in some subjects, be possible to accept a reduced quantity of work without penalty. However, all of the assessment objectives must have been covered at least once. This will not be possible if the specification only requires one piece.
Where several pieces of work are required, the reduction will only be accepted if those pieces are testing the same criteria. It will not be possible to give this consideration in every case. For example, if work has not been submitted, the assessment objectives have not been satisfied or the candidate joined the course late.

thank you so much for your help!
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
No you can't.

You can, at least with AQA, I’m sorry if this doesn’t apply to you but it does for others
Reply 7
Original post by Moonbow
You can, at least with AQA, I’m sorry if this doesn’t apply to you but it does for others

The rules are determined by Ofqual and the same for all boards in England - internal marking with external moderation.

Quick Reply

Latest