The Student Room Group

Daily Mindfulness Tip // Mental Health

Scroll to see replies

Start by observing. Notice the thank yous you say. Just how habitual a response is it? Is it a hasty aside, an afterthought? How are you feeling when you express thanks in small transactions? Stressed, uptight, a little absent-minded? Do a quick scan of your body—are you already physically moving on to your next interaction?

Pick one interaction a day. When your instinct to say “thanks” arises, stop for a moment and take note. Can you name what you feel grateful for, even beyond the gesture that’s been extended? Then say thank you.
Positive memories: Remember a positive event from your life, and use your imagination to transport yourself back to that time and place. Play it in your mind as if it is a movie, and tune in to your senses to fully enter into the memory. Notice what emotions come up as you immerse yourself in the experience. Let this positive memory have an impact on you.
Original post by Obolinda
Positive memories: Remember a positive event from your life, and use your imagination to transport yourself back to that time and place. Play it in your mind as if it is a movie, and tune in to your senses to fully enter into the memory. Notice what emotions come up as you immerse yourself in the experience. Let this positive memory have an impact on you.

PRSOM :emo:
Mindfulness apps: Search your smartphone, tablet, or computer for free or inexpensive mindfulness apps. Practice each one you find several times, and share them with your friends and family.
Mindfulness apps: Search your smartphone, tablet, or computer for free or inexpensive mindfulness apps. Practice each one you find several times, and share them with your friends and family.

If I had the storage space I’d do this to the letter
Progressive muscle relaxation: Use the classic "squeeze and release" relaxation technique, beginning with your toes and working all the way up to yoll! face. Squeeze each part of your body, holding the tension for a couple of seconds, and then release. Notice both the state of tension for each body part as well as the state of release. Although this exercise works best using your whole body, it can also be condensed to use fewer body parts, such as just squeezing and releasing your hands (making flsts and then shaking them out), or by just scrunching up your face before relaxing it. For more directions,
search for progressive muscle relaxation scripts online or on YouTube.
Sorry for the hiatus. Have had a rough few weeks(not covid related, lol).:s-smilie:

-First, get a clear jar (like a Mason jar) and fill it almost all the way with water. Next, add a big spoonful of glitter glue or glue and dry glitter to the jar. Put the lid back on the jar and shake it to make the glitter swirl.
-Finally, use the following script or take inspiration from it to form your own mini-lesson:
“Imagine that the glitter is like your thoughts when you’re stressed, mad or upset. See how they whirl around and make it really hard to see clearly? That’s why it’s so easy to make silly decisions when you’re upset because you’re not thinking clearly. Don’t worry this is normal and it happens in all of us (yep, grownups too).

Now watch what happens when you’re still for a couple of moments. Keep watching. See how the glitter starts to settle and the water clears? Your mind works the same way. When you’re calm for a little while, your thoughts start to settle and you start to see things much clearer. Deep breaths during this calming process can help us settle when we feel a lot of emotions”

https://www.buzzfeed.com/johngara/simple-pretty-mindfulness-jars-diy
Lots of hugs, Obo :jumphug:
Sorry for the hiatus. Have had a rough few weeks(not covid related, lol).:s-smilie:

Are you okay Obolinda? Now anyway, are you certain whatever has happened over the few weeks will not occur or Return again? Feel free to take more time off if you feel as if you need a bit longer, dont do too much with whatever has been affecting you if it’s still rough.

I really like the idea with the glitter jar, it’s a cute metaphor and clever symbolism. Personally if I get too stressed I push myself too far and fall down the rabbit hole. But when I catch myself before I go into a mental overload I water my plants and care for them. They help me calm down and relax.
What do you do to calm down and relax- if not the glittery jar? :smile:
Original post by WhisperWillow
Are you okay Obolinda? Now anyway, are you certain whatever has happened over the few weeks will not occur or Return again? Feel free to take more time off if you feel as if you need a bit longer, dont do too much with whatever has been affecting you if it’s still rough.

I really like the idea with the glitter jar, it’s a cute metaphor and clever symbolism. Personally if I get too stressed I push myself too far and fall down the rabbit hole. But when I catch myself before I go into a mental overload I water my plants and care for them. They help me calm down and relax.
What do you do to calm down and relax- if not the glittery jar? :smile:

I usually listen to music 😃
I usually listen to music 😃

That’s s good choice, I do that too, I used to go far a walk whilst listening to music too, helps me walk off steam.
(edited 4 years ago)
ETtY8iDXQAAdbkY.jpeg
Emotional Awareness Meditation
1.Settle into a comfortable meditation posture.

2.Breathing normally, bring your attention to your emotions. Notice if you are feeling any emotions, no matter how faintly. It is not necessary to know precisely which emotion you are having, or why you are having it. Just knowing that you are feeling something emotional is enough. Guessing is OK.

3.Once you detect an emotion, see if you can find its expression in your body. Maybe there is a feeling of tension, gripping, tightening, burning, twisting, throbbing, pressure, lightness, openness, etc.

4.If you like, you can mentally make the label “feel” when you detect a body sensation of emotion. Other labels are possible (“emotion” for example).

5.Each time you detect an emotional body sensation, try to actually feel the sensation in your body, as completely as possible. Feel it through and through.

6.Completely let go of any ideas you have about the emotion, or self talk you might have about why the emotion is arising. Return to the body sensation of the emotion.

7.Continue contacting these emotional body sensations for as long as you wish
Why not try some mindful walking for your daily outdoor exercise? :gah:

1. As you begin to walk, notice how the body feels. Does it feel heavy or light, stiff or relaxed? Don’t rush to answer the question, but take a few seconds to become aware of your posture and the way you’re carrying yourself.

2. Without trying to change the way you’re walking, simply observe how it feels. Just take a moment to observe it, to notice it. It’s quite common to feel self-conscious when you do this, but the feeling usually passes quite quickly.

3. While you won’t need to think about the process of walking, you will need to be aware of what’s going on around you, so take care to notice cars, other people, road signals and the like as you’re doing the exercise.

4. Begin by noticing what you see going on around you. It might be people walking past, shop window displays, cars, advertisements and all the other things you’d expect to see around you. Notice the colours and shapes, the movement and perhaps the stillness too. There’s no need to actually think about what you’re seeing simply to see it and acknowledge it is enough. Take about thirty seconds to do this.

5. Then turn your attention to sounds what can you hear? Without getting caught up in thinking about the objects of sound, just take a moment to be aware of them, as though they are just coming and going in your field of awareness. Again, take about thirty seconds to do this.

6. Next turn your attention to smells for thirty seconds or so, some of which may be pleasant while others might be positively unpleasant. Notice how the mind habitually wants to create a story out of each of the smells, how it reminds you of somewhere, something or someone.

7. Finally, make a point of noticing any physical sensations or feelings. Perhaps it’s the feeling of warm sunshine, cool rain or a cold breeze. Perhaps it’s the sensation of the soles of the feet touching the ground with each step, or the weight of the arms swinging at your side. The intention is to simply acknowledge the sensations for thirty seconds or so, without feeling the need to get involved in thinking about the feelings.

8. As you continue to walk, don’t try to prevent any of these things from entering your field of awareness simply notice as they come and go, how one thing is constantly being replaced by the next.

9. After a minute or two, gently shift your attention to the sensation of movement in the body. Notice how the weight shifts from the right side to the left side and then back again, usually in quite a steady rhythm. Try to avoid artificially adjusting your speed or trying to walk at a certain pace. Instead, observe the way you walk and the rhythm you’ve become accustomed to. It may well be that as a result of doing this exercise you choose to walk a little more slowly in future.

10. Use the rhythm of the walking, the physical sensation of the soles of the feet touching the ground, as your base of awareness, a place you can mentally come back to once you realise the mind has wandered off. This is the equivalent of the rising and falling sensation of the breath when you do your sitting meditation.

11. There’s no need to focus so intently that you start to exclude everything around you. In fact, be open to things happening around you and, when you know the mind has wandered off, just gently bring the attention back to the movement of the body and the sensation of the soles of the feet striking the ground each time.

12. Now because you’ll be more present, more aware, it’s quite likely that your mental habits (your usual ways of thinking) will also become more apparent. Usually, we’re so caught up in the thoughts themselves, that we hardly notice our reactions to all these things. For example, how do you feel when the rhythm is broken by a red pedestrian light, and you are forced to stand and wait to resume walking? Is there a feeling of impatience, of wanting to move, to get on? Do you find yourself jockeying for position with other people? Or perhaps you might feel a sense of relief at the opportunity of being able to rest for a few seconds.

https://www.headspace.com/blog/2014/11/19/walk-into-a-mindful-moment/
Why not try some mindful walking for your daily outdoor exercise? :gah:

1. As you begin to walk, notice how the body feels. Does it feel heavy or light, stiff or relaxed? Don’t rush to answer the question, but take a few seconds to become aware of your posture and the way you’re carrying yourself.

2. Without trying to change the way you’re walking, simply observe how it feels. Just take a moment to observe it, to notice it. It’s quite common to feel self-conscious when you do this, but the feeling usually passes quite quickly.

3. While you won’t need to think about the process of walking, you will need to be aware of what’s going on around you, so take care to notice cars, other people, road signals and the like as you’re doing the exercise.

4. Begin by noticing what you see going on around you. It might be people walking past, shop window displays, cars, advertisements and all the other things you’d expect to see around you. Notice the colours and shapes, the movement and perhaps the stillness too. There’s no need to actually think about what you’re seeing simply to see it and acknowledge it is enough. Take about thirty seconds to do this.

5. Then turn your attention to sounds what can you hear? Without getting caught up in thinking about the objects of sound, just take a moment to be aware of them, as though they are just coming and going in your field of awareness. Again, take about thirty seconds to do this.

6. Next turn your attention to smells for thirty seconds or so, some of which may be pleasant while others might be positively unpleasant. Notice how the mind habitually wants to create a story out of each of the smells, how it reminds you of somewhere, something or someone.

7. Finally, make a point of noticing any physical sensations or feelings. Perhaps it’s the feeling of warm sunshine, cool rain or a cold breeze. Perhaps it’s the sensation of the soles of the feet touching the ground with each step, or the weight of the arms swinging at your side. The intention is to simply acknowledge the sensations for thirty seconds or so, without feeling the need to get involved in thinking about the feelings.

8. As you continue to walk, don’t try to prevent any of these things from entering your field of awareness simply notice as they come and go, how one thing is constantly being replaced by the next.

9. After a minute or two, gently shift your attention to the sensation of movement in the body. Notice how the weight shifts from the right side to the left side and then back again, usually in quite a steady rhythm. Try to avoid artificially adjusting your speed or trying to walk at a certain pace. Instead, observe the way you walk and the rhythm you’ve become accustomed to. It may well be that as a result of doing this exercise you choose to walk a little more slowly in future.

10. Use the rhythm of the walking, the physical sensation of the soles of the feet touching the ground, as your base of awareness, a place you can mentally come back to once you realise the mind has wandered off. This is the equivalent of the rising and falling sensation of the breath when you do your sitting meditation.

11. There’s no need to focus so intently that you start to exclude everything around you. In fact, be open to things happening around you and, when you know the mind has wandered off, just gently bring the attention back to the movement of the body and the sensation of the soles of the feet striking the ground each time.

12. Now because you’ll be more present, more aware, it’s quite likely that your mental habits (your usual ways of thinking) will also become more apparent. Usually, we’re so caught up in the thoughts themselves, that we hardly notice our reactions to all these things. For example, how do you feel when the rhythm is broken by a red pedestrian light, and you are forced to stand and wait to resume walking? Is there a feeling of impatience, of wanting to move, to get on? Do you find yourself jockeying for position with other people? Or perhaps you might feel a sense of relief at the opportunity of being able to rest for a few seconds.

https://www.headspace.com/blog/2014/11/19/walk-into-a-mindful-moment/

Stuff like this is really helpful in times like these.
I just wanted to thank you obolinda for this amazing thread and the consistency of quality content of hope in difficult times, positivity and helpful advice for us.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by WhisperWillow
Stuff like this is really helpful in times like these.
I just wanted to thank you obolinda for this amazing thread and the consistency of quality content of hope in difficult times, positivity and helpful advice for us.

Thank you so much, your support is really appreciated:h:
Much love to advocacy:heart:
Screenshot_20200330-053208_Chrome.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest