The Student Room Group

Privately studying A-level English in a year?

I am currently just doing a BTEC in media which I enjoy but I doubt it will be enough to get me into a decent university. Also, I feel English is what I'm really passionate about. It was my best GCSE as well, unfortunately, I only passed English, Maths and Science though. I do not want to waste another year doing A-level English as I rather join university as soon as possible, therefore, I only have a year to do the course so when I am applying to university I can show them what grade I got. I don't know exactly how it works but I will not have any predicted grades to show them and I am not sure if I will be able to privately take an AS exam. How crazy will I be if I attempt this and does anyone have a similar experience or advice?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
People have done it, but it's hard to do without any feedback - it might be worth getting a tutor for a bit of help or paying for a distance learning course. There shouldn't be a particular problem with taking AS English (Lit, Lang or combined) as a private candidate but the A level will cause greater issues as it is 20% assessed by NEA (aka coursework) and you would need to find a centre able to authenticate it as your own work and willing to mark it.

Quick Reply

Latest