The Student Room Group

Hand tattoo opinions

i want a hand tattoo as my first tattoo...whats peoples opinions?

edit...im studying marine biology at uni and moving away end of 3rd year when got degree its not gonna affect my career as ive already managed to sort it out.
ive also had the idea for just under a year now and it has personal connection to me.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

As it is your first tattoo.
Would it not be better to have it on your arm, where it can be covered up, just in case you dont like it.
Reply 2
Called jobstoppers for a reason

I think anyone that has hand tatts and no others are pure dummies, tbh
*shrug* Most places won't do it as a 1st one.
Bad idea. Not only are you limiting your career options but you could end up changing your mind later.

I've a dozen tattoos. If I could redo my first few they would be in different placements/styles. I'm glad I got my first on my back because there is something about it I dislike and I'm glad I don't have to look at it.
I agree. My son is covered in tattoos but we talked about hand face and neck tats ages ago. Fortunately he agreed with me and the previous posters that they’re just really not a good idea.
His arms stop above the wrist. No one can see his legs. When he is dressed for work you wouldn’t know he’s got any
Reply 6
Original post by StriderHort

okay i edited my post to explain a bit
Reply 7
Original post by gjd800
Called jobstoppers for a reason

I think anyone that has hand tatts and no others are pure dummies, tbh

well it will be just the hand to start with it will end up as a full right sleeve, also okay i edited my post to explain a bit
Original post by kadefirefly
okay i edited my post to explain a bit

Even if it’s personal to you and has relevance there are so many other places other than your hands.
You may not have this job forever and like it or not you will be judged for it.
It’s up to you. We’ve all given our opinions
Reply 9
well it will be just the hand to start with it will end up as a full right sleeve, also okay i edited my post to explain a bit

Doesn't change too much, tbh

Other way around maybe

Lots of places do not like hand tattoos
Original post by StriderHort

Really? ive asked 4 places to do a sketch for me and they've all said that they would do it as a first tattoo as "times are changing if your not gonna get a job based on a hand neck or face tattoo and not through your skills presented then you probably shouldn't be working there anyway.
Original post by Karisa96
As it is your first tattoo.
Would it not be better to have it on your arm, where it can be covered up, just in case you dont like it.

ive had the idea for ages and im liking the sketches of it from a few different artists.

Then you're better off starting at your shoulders and working downward. Or do what I am: I've started mine at my forearm and moving up. May get the hand done eventually but it will be last.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Really? ive asked 4 places to do a sketch for me and they've all said that they would do it as a first tattoo as "times are changing if your not gonna get a job based on a hand neck or face tattoo and not through your skills presented then you probably shouldn't be working there anyway.

If your artists genuinely said that then they are both clueless and irresponsible
Original post by Sammylou40
Even if it’s personal to you and has relevance there are so many other places other than your hands.
You may not have this job forever and like it or not you will be judged for it.
It’s up to you. We’ve all given our opinions

its down to the design of the tattoo really its dynamic is based on the tops of the four fingers it starts on
Original post by sinfonietta
Then you're better off starting at your shoulders and working downward. Or do what I am: I've started mine at my forearm and moving up. May get the hand done eventually but it will be last.

its the hand plus plus half my forearm but i get what your saying
Original post by gjd800
If your artists genuinely said that then they are both clueless and irresponsible

100% genuine mate seriously and the one who said that quote is the most well known of the 4 shops
Reply 17
100% genuine mate seriously and the one who said that quote is the most well known of the 4 shops

It is nonsense, and I say this as someone with big tattoos who has worked across multiple industries

V surprised if all 4 agreed. Possible times are changing but I prefer old fashioned places that are a bit more cautious, the artists I know wont do face/hands unless they have a working relationship with you generally.

Your body, your money ect, I wouldn't have listened to anyone telling me not to probably. One thing though, when people say 'oh it doesn't matter for my career' that's because they're normally years/decades into it, or their own boss, planning what you want to do isn't really the same, plans change.
Original post by gjd800
It is nonsense, and I say this as someone with big tattoos who has worked across multiple industries

okay you dont have to believe me but im telling you my experience and asking for advice i dont really want to get into an argument...

Quick Reply

Latest