The Student Room Group

Non-cover letter vacation schemes?

Hi guys, does anyone know any non-cover letter vacation schemes, with potentially only a short amount of writing max? I know this sounds lazy but I'm just trying to save some time and would love any help you guys can give! (+ I'm non-law so I have much less to talk about).

Scroll to see replies

Vacation schemes usually involve quite a lengthy application process, they're extremely competitive so you need to be able to wow them with that writing in the first place. If you can't be bothered/don't have the time then honestly, don't bother.

Even if you're emailing around high street firms, I can imagine the majority of them will want some kind of cover letter.

I don't know why you're expecting firms in such a competitive market to just let you off lightly.
Original post by MidgetFever
Vacation schemes usually involve quite a lengthy application process, they're extremely competitive so you need to be able to wow them with that writing in the first place. If you can't be bothered/don't have the time then honestly, don't bother.

Even if you're emailing around high street firms, I can imagine the majority of them will want some kind of cover letter.

I don't know why you're expecting firms in such a competitive market to just let you off lightly.

Well this is mildly patronising. I've applied to two firms so far without attaching a cover letter and I've heard back from one with an interview. I have a strong CV, I'm just non-law and trying to be smart about time. If anyone else has any more productive response to my initial question, that would be great!
Original post by Thankmelater2020
Well this is mildly patronising. I've applied to two firms so far without attaching a cover letter and I've heard back from one with an interview. I have a strong CV, I'm just non-law and trying to be smart about time. If anyone else has any more productive response to my initial question, that would be great!

Patronising because it's a daft question, I think you're seriously underestimating how competitive it is.

As I said, if you're applying for high street firms then the majority will want some form of application or cover letter, or more than what would be considered a minimal amount of writing.

Any decent 'top' firm, you'd have to spend time crafting a very persuasive application.
Original post by MidgetFever
Patronising because it's a daft question, I think you're seriously underestimating how competitive it is.

As I said, if you're applying for high street firms then the majority will want some form of application or cover letter, or more than what would be considered a minimal amount of writing.

Any decent 'top' firm, you'd have to spend time crafting a very persuasive application.

The interview is at one of the largest firms in the country i.e. the top. The other application was to a Magic Circle firm, again, the top. Have a bit more faith, it typically gets you further. Also, have a good day and please don't respond again.
There’s only one firm (Linklaters) I can think of that has no written component in their application. This is also only as of this year as they have radically overhauled their application process with the new ‘CAPP’ assessment.

Skadden has 3 lengthy questions to answer.

Echoing what has been said above, if law vacation schemes are what you’re after, be prepared to get drafting.
Hi guys, does anyone know any non-cover letter vacation schemes, with potentially only a short amount of writing max? I know this sounds lazy but I'm just trying to save some time and would love any help you guys can give! (+ I'm non-law so I have much less to talk about).

You don’t have less to talk about because you’re non-law. If you don’t think you have enough to talk about in a cover letter I’d probably think about a different profession to be honest, law firms will see straight through you

DLA Piper was an incredibly short application form. But the deadline has been and gone.

Every other application I have worked on has required at least a good few hours of research and writing. As somebody else said, generally it's much easier when they just want a cover letter than if they ask 4-8 questions, each requiring 250-300 words...
The first two paragraphs you put were completely redundant. But thank you for the list, I really appreciate it.
Original post by lawapps2019
You don’t have less to talk about because you’re non-law. If you don’t think you have enough to talk about in a cover letter I’d probably think about a different profession to be honest, law firms will see straight through you

Well, law is my back-up, back-up career path hence I'm treating it that way, by minimising effort and maximising returns. Also 'see straight through you' is a good joke, as if to say most vac schemes applicants have an actual passion for commercial law.
Well, law is my back-up, back-up career path hence I'm treating it that way, by minimising effort and maximising returns. Also 'see straight through you' is a good joke, as if to say most vac schemes applicants have an actual passion for commercial law.

I’m not saying everyone who applies has a passion but most people would have at least enough motivation to find out the application process of the firms they want to apply for themselves rather than going onto student room and asking other people
Original post by lawapps2019
I’m not saying everyone who applies has a passion but most people would have at least enough motivation to find out the application process of the firms they want to apply for themselves rather than going onto student room and asking other people

That's definitely true. But often max motivation max success.
(edited 4 years ago)
If OP gets a TC at any half reputable firm I promise I’ll leave the industry. This thread is a mess.
Original post by lawstudent048381
If OP gets a TC at any half reputable firm I promise I’ll leave the industry. This thread is a mess.

Hey don't worry man, if things work out the way I want it to I won't be in the industry. So you can thank god for that.
Mate it's not an 'uncomfortable' truth I literally said in the opening message that what I'm doing is lazy. I'm incredibly aware that I'm putting in minimal effort and I'm not expecting to walk into any law firm any time soon. But I know my track record, and I know getting a vac scheme in this manner is very much in the realistic bounds of possibility. I'm not sure why everyone in this thread seems to enjoy tearing into someone with a slight shred of self-confidence. Also, I have prior legal experience, so again, that whole last paragraph is redundant. I think everyone on this thread must have had some terrible luck or something, you guys seem to recoil at the fact that someone could enter your industry without pouring blood, sweat and tears.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey don't worry man, if things work out the way I want it to I won't be in the industry. So you can thank god for that.

Incidentally, if you’re so confident in your CV why at all do you need a ‘back-up, back-up’ industry? There are plenty of firms in IB, Consulting etc. to focus applications on that would completely negate the need to look at other career paths - this whole post just seems confused.
Incidentally, if you’re so confident in your CV why at all do you need a ‘back-up, back-up’ industry? There are plenty of firms in IB, Consulting etc. to focus applications on that would completely negate the need to look at other career paths - this whole post just seems confused.

I don't think I'm confused, everyone else in this thread seems to have inferred that I believe I can just walk into any industry, I've never said that once. My tiny bit of confidence has clearly been misinterpreted as supreme arrogance. Sorry I don't worship the discipline, idk? Plus, yes, I'm pretty far in the process for both of those industries, but nothing is guaranteed, and even if I get an internship I may not convert it. Which is where having a vac scheme under my belt would be mighty useful. I can't believe I've spent this much time on the internet defending my life choices in all honesty.
(edited 4 years ago)
I don't think I'm confused, everyone else in this thread seems to have inferred that I believe I can just walk into any industry, I've never said that once. My tiny bit of confidence has clearly been misinterpreted as supreme arrogance. Sorry I don't worship the discipline, idk? Plus, yes, I'm pretty far in the process for both of those industries, but nothing is guaranteed, and even if I get an internship I may not convert it. Which is where having a vac scheme under my belt would be mighty useful. I can't believe I've spent this much time on the internet defending my life choices in all honesty.

Stop replying then - your question has been answered. Linklaters is the only firm where there is 0 writing.

Focus more energy on your prospects in areas you actually want to work in. It isn’t hard at all to convert a summer if you are a decent candidate.

Edit: Almost all banks have finished recruiting for IBD/Markets Summers - if you haven’t got an internship yet, I’m not sure what ‘far in the process’ means for you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Stop replying then - your question has been answered. Linklaters is the only firm where there is 0 writing.

Focus more energy on your prospects in areas you actually want to work in. It isn’t hard at all to convert a summer if you are a decent candidate.

Great advice, I'll take it right now. Bye all and have a fantastic Monday.
Honestly, for someone that doesn't want to spend time putting in the time for a law firm application, you're sure wasting a lot of time on this thread.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending