The Student Room Group

Postgraduate masters loan for UK resident living abroad

Hello all,

I’m looking for some clarification about the postgraduate loan - specifically the requirement that we must have been living in the UK for 3 years before the start date of the course, with the exception of temporary absences.

I’m a British citizen by birth. I will have been living in Japan on the JET Programme for 4 years by the time the course would start. My question is does this count as a temporary absence? Or will I genuinely have to move back home and live in the UK for 3 years before being eligible to apply for a loan?

Hi Shibaken,

You should generally meet the 3 year criteria unless you can prove that you had a temporary absence such as a vacation or temporary work. You can apply and provide a cover letter with evidence that shows your temporary living situation abroad such as work contracts or tenancy agreements that show it was always intended to be temporary.

Thanks, Clare

Quick Reply