The Student Room Group

How likely are joint honour courses to appear in clearing?

I’ve applied for 5 English courses but have recently taken a lot of interest in English Literature combined with Religious Studies especially at Lancaster. I didn’t originally apply for this uni and instead applied for Manchester which I’ve now decided I won’t be going to.

I’m kind of unsure with how joint honours work. Do you take part in classes with both English and RS teachers/students? or do you have separate classes purely for joint honour students? I’m not sure if this is a silly question but I’m just confused whether or not that’d make it unlikely to appear in clearing? If English isn’t in clearing at Lancaster does that mean English Literature combined with RS won’t be? From what I’ve gathered it doesn’t seem a very common combined course at universities.

Thanks for any answers! <3
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sleepycloud
I’ve applied for 5 English courses but have recently taken a lot of interest in English Literature combined with Religious Studies especially at Lancaster. I didn’t originally apply for this uni and instead applied for Manchester which I’ve now decided I won’t be going to.

I’m kind of unsure with how joint honours work. Do you take part in classes with both English and RS teachers/students? or do you have separate classes purely for joint honour students? I’m not sure if this is a silly question but I’m just confused whether or not that’d make it unlikely to appear in clearing? If English isn’t in clearing at Lancaster does that mean English Literature combined with RS won’t be? From what I’ve gathered it doesn’t seem a very common combined course at universities.

Talk to Lancaster admissions. The majority of courses tenbd to eb the same as if you were taking one degree or the other.
You need to check wehether that uni has any combined courses but they will not be the norm.
Clearing opens in July to look at, but you can talk t Lancaster and use UCAS extra if sure or just see how you feel after visiting the others. It mighjt not appear directly hence why you ask admissions as to whether they have spaces.

Speak to them and post back if youb get stuck. Shame you didnt apply for English then you could ask them to consider you for the alternative.
Original post by 999tigger
Talk to Lancaster admissions. The majority of courses tenbd to eb the same as if you were taking one degree or the other.
You need to check wehether that uni has any combined courses but they will not be the norm.
Clearing opens in July to look at, but you can talk t Lancaster and use UCAS extra if sure or just see how you feel after visiting the others. It mighjt not appear directly hence why you ask admissions as to whether they have spaces.

Speak to them and post back if youb get stuck. Shame you didnt apply for English then you could ask them to consider you for the alternative.

Thank you! I did contact them but they similarly told me about UCAS Extra and clearing. I wouldn’t particularly want to use UCAS Extra as I am not certain I would get the grades and I do have some other universities I am considering. I know that Lancaster does offer English Literature combined with RS and is one of the only ones I have found which does, however I’m still unsure whether or not it would be available in clearing if English Literature wasn’t. I do wish that I did! I applied for Manchester instead but I’ve now realised a city university wouldnt be for me. Thank you for the help! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sleepycloud

Hello!
Those aren't silly questions at all! By doing joint honours you will be in both departments. Normally in first year you will take the core modules from both English Lit and RS with the full honours students taking additional optional modules. This means you'll probably have less choice. Therefore normally in the core compulsory modules there will be people taking a range of degrees, but in optional modules there will only be the students doing the full honours degrees. In second and third year you will then probably have to pick 50/50 from each department. RS and Eng Lit are both in the same faculty though so there won't be too much confusion.
In terms of clearing - we have a major/minor system at Lancaster so I'd suggest getting onto either an Eng Lit/RS course and then once you're here, in freshers' week when people are picking their minors, it should be easy enough to switch onto joint honours, or take one as a minor with a choice to switch onto joint honours at the end of the year - lots of people change their degree titles after first year. I can't guarantee anything of course but based off what has happened in previous years, there's lots of flexibility at Lancaster.
Good luck with your exams and hopefully you won't need to worry about clearing anyway!
Let me know if you have anymore questions,
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending