The Student Room Group

Smear test -unfair age!

I've seen all these 'tell her' adverts about cervical cancer and read in so many magazines about young girls getting cervical cancer that's terminal when they couldve just had a smear and got it cleared up.

Im 18 and have been sexually active since I was 14 so I feel I should have one but the new age for smears is 25!

I'm becoming paranoid about it, can you ask for one from your GP?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes. It's just that you get called automatically when your 25.
It's suggested you have one 2 years after becoming sexually active. Of course the GP doesn't know when you become sexually active, you have to take action.
Reply 2
My mum had pre-cancerous cells before she was 25, luckily they were picked up but i feel i should be offered a smear before the age of 25 due to family history.
You can request one yourself. You don't need to wait until you are 25.
Anonymous
I've seen all these 'tell her' adverts about cervical cancer and read in so many magazines about young girls getting cervical cancer that's terminal when they couldve just had a smear and got it cleared up.

Im 18 and have been sexually active since I was 14 so I feel I should have one but the new age for smears is 25!

nope.
Reply 5

Explanation here.
Reply 6
I have thought about getting one in the next yr or so but hopefully my parents will not find out cause then i will be in some serious trouble.
-steph-
I have thought about getting one in the next yr or so but hopefully my parents will not find out cause then i will be in some serious trouble.

Why will you be in troube for being careful with your health???
Reply 8
I'm 18 and I asked my doctor for one and she pretty much just laughed at me and was like.. wait till you're 25. I was not happy with that response at all, but she pretty much just made me feel stupid for asking :|
Reply 9
Anonymous

cervical cancer has been correlated to early sexual activity. Of coruse, as usual, there is much debate. get one done and but your mind at ease. :smile:
Sophi*
I'm 18 and I asked my doctor for one and she pretty much just laughed at me and was like.. wait till you're 25. I was not happy with that response at all, but she pretty much just made me feel stupid for asking :|

WHAT?????? In my country, doctors actually SCREAM if you are sexually active and haven't done a pap test no matter what's your age! I first went to get tested 3 years ago, when I was 22, but was sexually active since 19 -she looked at me with this very serious look in her eyes "don't do it again" style, and made me promise I would get tested once a year.

And all doctors here are like this, and mothers too.

Your doctor sounds like a bitch. Health is important and a gynaikologist should be much more sencitive than that.
She is supposed to be the one person you cn trust and tell everything. If she looks down on you and doesn't make you feel safe, change a doctor.
Reply 11
Kabloomybuzz
Why will you be in troube for being careful with your health???

For being sexually active before marriage is a big no no in my family. Plus my parents see me as the innocent one.
Cancer runs in my friends family and she requested one, got to the Doctors and said she couldn't have one because she wasn't 25.

It is stupid, esp as Wales can have it before us.
My Nan and my Mum both had cancerous cells before they were 25. Mum had me at 23 and they were picked up 6 months after I was born. I really want to have one, but I suppose the NHS has the final say. Seems silly because the age of consent is 16, so they're leaving people for 9 years before testing them! You can get free condoms at any age from the GUM clinic, but not a smear test. It's not right
galladriel
Your doctor sounds like a bitch. Health is important and a gynaikologist should be much more sencitive than that.
She is supposed to be the one person you cn trust and tell everything. If she looks down on you and doesn't make you feel safe, change a doctor.
In England, you usually only get to see a Gynaecologist if you have reproductive problems. All other matters are dealt with by your GP and smears (or paps) are carried out by a nurse.
Jillie Boe
Cancer runs in my friends family and she requested one, got to the Doctors and said she couldn't have one because she wasn't 25.

It is stupid, esp as Wales can have it before us.

Ok guys can I just clarify something.

The 25 year old thing is for the national screening programme. We have a national screening programme for breasts as well, but that doesn't stop you getting a breast exam if you feel there is something untoward.

Now a girl of any age can get a smear test, and I personally applaud all of you here for being so proactive with your health.
The reason your GP is reluctant to give you the smear is because girls of a young age (especially less than 21) often have borderline results. They often have HPV infection. And 95% of them will have cleared up by the age of 25. It leads to a lot of repeat smears and anxiety from people who think they are going to develop cancer. They won't. And that is why the GPs are reluctant. THey are trying to save you froma whole heap of anxiety and unnecessary procedures. Think on that next time you complain about them.

But at the end of the day if you are already anxious. you are already stressing about it then tell you GP. Insist you want a smear, and tell them you are prepared to change GPs for one that will doa smear.
I assure you that most GPs will do a smear if you are insistent. THey will warn the hell out of you before hand, but they'll do it.
Ask them to do chlamydia and gonorrhoea swabs at the same time - GPs get points for every sexual screen they do, and points mean prizes... :wink:
200 pounds for a smear test? In Greece you pay your doctor 50 euros (35pounds) and they do a total check up -pap test included. And that is if you go to your own doctor and not to the Public Insurance one. If you are insured and go to one of their doctors you don't pay at all.

And by doctor I mean gynaecologist (note: you have a strange way of spelling the word!)/ Every girl has one, my mother took me to mine long before I became sexually active -I was about 12 I think.
(edited 3 years ago)
Yes yes Galladriel, greece is great yadda yadda yadda. Or not, as the eurpoean health tables show. Infact, aside from the newest EU members grece ranks lowest on health system. Bloody lucky that the greek diet is so healthy really.
Gah, the thought of having a smear test makes me die a little bit inside. I dont think the age should really be lowered, Im sure it wouldnt be 25 if there was even a small chance of getting cervical cancer before that age. I think it should probably be advertised more that you do have the option of having one before that age though, I know a couple of friends of mine who had one when they were 20 :smile:
Jamie
Yes yes Galladriel, greece is great yadda yadda yadda. Or not, as the eurpoean health tables show. Infact, aside from the newest EU members grece ranks lowest on health system. Bloody lucky that the greek diet is so healthy really.

No need for sarcasm. I know my country and its bureaucracy and I know it's not great.

I simply compared what you people have written in this forum and what I know to be true in the country I live in. It could as easily be Tibuctu, the fact that I happen to live in Greece is irrelevant. The difference between the two systems is still surprising.

I don't get your health system.

And the greek diet is no longer healthy because nobody follows it :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending