The Student Room Group

Short story extract uni interview

I have an interview for Leeds Beckett University in a few days, and they have sent an email out explaining what we have to do in the interview. I am currently doing an access course to primary education, so I know the basics of teaching theory, method, assessment etc.

We have to 'Introduce a chosen book with rationale for your choice (target age/area of learning), read an extract and illustrate how you would use the story will support Teaching and Learning.

We have to do this in 5 minutes and I am completely thrown off by what it is asking us...

HELP its for 25.01.2020

Thanks in advance. Conor
(edited 4 years ago)
I think this is how I would do it:

If this were me (I'm going to write this as if I were teaching this), I would use a book that perhaps had a passage in it where it described a setting in great detail. I would ask the children to close their eyes and imagine that they are there, at that moment. Initially, I like this as a wellbeing approach, maybe if the class has been hectic and need a moment to ground themselves and be quiet so they can focus on a task. Then, think to themselves... what else do they see/smell/hear? Then get them to go and finish that story as a short story (individually if possible, and you could differentiate by getting some children to draw and write keywords) and see what they come up with.

I'm not sure how else to give you a suggestion. Obviously I would pick my target age which for me this task would probably be the higher end of the school, and then have a look to see what benchmarks/experiences and outcomes I meet (Scotland, don't know if you have similar).
This is brilliant! Thank you. At least I have an idea of what to go off and I can condense it down to 5 minutes.Great help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending