The Student Room Group

Are my A-Levels favourable for medicine?

I am in year 11 in the process of picking my a -levels. I have chosen to pick between four, chemistry, biology, history and geography. I know I need the chem and bio to go into medicine but I'm struggling between history and geography because I love both subjects and I am good at both of them. I got a 9 in history and an 8 in geo for my mocks. I did consider doing four a - levels but my friends say that it will be hard. Any suggestions?
I don’t know if I can help you out but personally geography has been very dullllll and boring and it’s hard to answer questions. History could be the same in terms of questions but at least it’s interesting. How about psychology instead?
Original post by ss_jks
I am in year 11 in the process of picking my a -levels. I have chosen to pick between four, chemistry, biology, history and geography. I know I need the chem and bio to go into medicine but I'm struggling between history and geography because I love both subjects and I am good at both of them. I got a 9 in history and an 8 in geo for my mocks. I did consider doing four a - levels but my friends say that it will be hard. Any suggestions?

oooh those will be pretty tough if you carry on all those four. btw I got 9 in Geo at gcse and I loved the course sooo much, it was my favourite subject without a doubt, but when I started it at A level I absolutely hated it!!!! A level geo is the worst, really enjoying history tho, the content isn't really that much and it tends to have really low grade boundaries, for instance for my course 64% is an A!
Original post by Lemonsandlemons
oooh those will be pretty tough if you carry on all those four. btw I got 9 in Geo at gcse and I loved the course sooo much, it was my favourite subject without a doubt, but when I started it at A level I absolutely hated it!!!! A level geo is the worst, really enjoying history tho, the content isn't really that much and it tends to have really low grade boundaries, for instance for my course 64% is an A!

OMG SAME! I got a 9 in gcse geo too and it was a tonne of fun!! But I regret choosing it for a level it’s so dull and answering questions is hard 😭
Original post by ss_jks

Four subjects is excessive - chemistry, biology and either history or geography would be fine. Pick the one you enjoy most and think you can do best in :smile:

More info here:

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest