The Student Room Group

A-Level choices

Hey guys, i have to pick my A-levels by the third of February and whilst I used to be very sure, I'm suddenly finding careers that I would love to do and that all have completely separate A-levels.

I'm considering 5:
-psychology
-maths
-chemistry
-biology
-english literature

I'm interested in working with people and helping with recovery, so I want to do either medicine, nursing, psychology or a chemistry degree to move into forensics.

Apart from psychology and nursing, all of them want maths, but it seems like such a hard A-level I'm worried I won't do well. I'm not bad by any means, and I'm predicted an 8 (which is an A*) in my GCSE, but I tend to get burnt out easily. (I think this is because I have quite a lot of stress at the moment about my health, and I don't know much about what might happen next - wouldn't impact my learning too much even worst case scenario, so logically all is good, emotions don't work that way though sadly)

I know I want to do chemistry, I'm quite keen on psychology and english literature - and I would take those, but I'm quite keen on medicine, and I like to push myself, and those A-levels wouldn't push me.
I'm thinking of Chemistry, English lit, maths and psychology for a chemistry degree, and I think that would push me enough.
For my GCSEs, I'm predicted mostly A* and a few As, which is nice as they won't impact what I can do for A-levels. (worst case scenario is a 6 in physics and fine art)
I suppose I'm afraid of not doing medicine now that I've put so much time and stress into it. It would sort of feel like giving up a dream, since I've always liked emergency medicine.
I have no clue what to do, please help!
I'm currently in the final year of my undergraduate in medical science, so I'm quite familiar with all the degrees aforementioned above!

If you are interested in medicine, you do not need a mathematics A level, that's a popular misconception.
You will need to take chemistry and biology, however, and achieve A's in those.
I'd highly recommend taking chemistry and biology to prepare you for any discipline of science.

I would definitely NOT recommend taking math unless you are naturally gifted at the subject, as its incredibly hard and a low grade will reflect poorly for your future applications.

My advice would be to take chemistry, biology and psychology (considered a pseudoscience) - if you're passionate about English literature, take that also for AS as long as you'll manage your time effectively, and then I'd recommend dropping either English Lit or Psychology for your A2 to focus on securing AAA or above.

I would also recommend for any healthcare degree, getting relevant experience in the field through volunteer work, try volunteering at a care home!
You will need experience to apply with.

I hope this helps!
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Hey guys, i have to pick my A-levels by the third of February and whilst I used to be very sure, I'm suddenly finding careers that I would love to do and that all have completely separate A-levels.

I'm considering 5:
-psychology
-maths
-chemistry
-biology
-english literature

I'm interested in working with people and helping with recovery, so I want to do either medicine, nursing, psychology or a chemistry degree to move into forensics.

Apart from psychology and nursing, all of them want maths, but it seems like such a hard A-level I'm worried I won't do well. I'm not bad by any means, and I'm predicted an 8 (which is an A*) in my GCSE, but I tend to get burnt out easily. (I think this is because I have quite a lot of stress at the moment about my health, and I don't know much about what might happen next - wouldn't impact my learning too much even worst case scenario, so logically all is good, emotions don't work that way though sadly)

I know I want to do chemistry, I'm quite keen on psychology and english literature - and I would take those, but I'm quite keen on medicine, and I like to push myself, and those A-levels wouldn't push me.
I'm thinking of Chemistry, English lit, maths and psychology for a chemistry degree, and I think that would push me enough.
For my GCSEs, I'm predicted mostly A* and a few As, which is nice as they won't impact what I can do for A-levels. (worst case scenario is a 6 in physics and fine art)
I suppose I'm afraid of not doing medicine now that I've put so much time and stress into it. It would sort of feel like giving up a dream, since I've always liked emergency medicine.

You don't need to do more than three A levels (particularly if you're concerned about burnout) and you don't need maths for medicine. I think trying to gain an A* or A in three subjects is more than enough "pushing"(!). You don't need to prove anything to anyone here.

You can find out more about medicine entry requirements here: https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

I think biology, chemistry and another subject would be fine for the degrees you've listed. It's fine if you eventually change your mind about medicine - people change their goals and ambitions all the time. Arranging some medical work experience would help you try and figure out whether it's for you or not.
Original post by Neuro1998

My advice would be to take chemistry, biology and psychology (considered a pseudoscience) - if you're passionate about English literature, take that also for AS as long as you'll manage your time effectively, and then I'd recommend dropping either English Lit or Psychology for your A2 to focus on securing AAA or above.

Er, what? Are you sure you know what pseudoscience means? :confused:
I'm currently in the final year of my undergraduate in medical science, so I'm quite familiar with all the degrees aforementioned above!

If you are interested in medicine, you do not need a mathematics A level, that's a popular misconception.
You will need to take chemistry and biology, however, and achieve A's in those.
I'd highly recommend taking chemistry and biology to prepare you for any discipline of science.

I would definitely NOT recommend taking math unless you are naturally gifted at the subject, as its incredibly hard and a low grade will reflect poorly for your future applications.

I would also recommend for any healthcare degree, getting relevant experience in the field through volunteer work, try volunteering at a care home!
You will need experience to apply with.

I hope this helps!

Thanks so much, that's massively helpful. I aim quite high, and I'm told maths is an unsaid necessity for oxbridge medical by my careers advisor. Is she mistaken? Ahh I'm worried now aha. I've been volunteering for a while and I have some work experience in a hospital lined up, so that should give me an idea! Thanks again! :biggrin:
Thanks so much, that's massively helpful. I aim quite high, and I'm told maths is an unsaid necessity for oxbridge medical by my careers advisor. Is she mistaken? Ahh I'm worried now aha. I've been volunteering for a while and I have some work experience in a hospital lined up, so that should give me an idea! Thanks again! :biggrin:

To be quite honest, I am unsure, as I was referring to general requirements across the UK for medicine! The best thing you could do, is ring the Oxbridge admissions team and ask them, and they'll definitely tell you whether it'll give you the edge.
However, if you take math and end up getting a low grade, you may jeopardize your chances of any medical school - so it may be best to stick to the subjects you're good at!

Also I wouldn't choose Oxbridge just for the reputation, look closely at the style of teaching they employ and decide what you'd want the most.

For example, Oxford takes a heavy classroom teaching approach for the first few years before you go clinical, whereas Warwick do group based learning with clinical activity throughout all your years.
To be quite honest, I am unsure, as I was referring to general requirements across the UK for medicine! The best thing you could do, is ring the Oxbridge admissions team and ask them, and they'll definitely tell you whether it'll give you the edge.
However, if you take math and end up getting a low grade, you may jeopardize your chances of any medical school - so it may be best to stick to the subjects you're good at!

Also I wouldn't choose Oxbridge just for the reputation, look closely at the style of teaching they employ and decide what you'd want the most.

For example, Oxford takes a heavy classroom teaching approach for the first few years before you go clinical, whereas Warwick do group based learning with clinical activity throughout all your years.

Thanks so much for the advice! I've been really close minded with regards to uni because Oxbridge were the two that I had visited, but I really prefer the hands on teaching so I think I would be better in another.
I've spoken to my maths teacher and she thinks I'll get a nine and will do well at A-level (and she's quite honest about these things) and after some digging I think it'll be really hard, but I can do it.
Biology and Chemistry I'm now sure of, and so I know my base three of Bio Chem Maths.
I talked to the psychology teacher and she was startlingly rude, and she's the only one, so that's that gone. (Don't freak I'm not overreacting, but I know I'd hate an A-level with her).
English I wish I could, but after talking to someone who does it they say the workload is too heavy. I think I might take it for the first term of year 12 and drop it, or just pick bio chem maths and do an EPQ. If I end up liking it, I'll do english maths and chemistry and do a chemistry degree if I can't manage 4.
Thanks so much for all the help! I'm sure now I want either a chemistry degree or medicine, and since you can only apply for 4 medicine spots I'll apply for three and two for chemistry or something like that. Typing it all out has really helped, and I really appreciate you taking the time :smile: :smile: :smile:

I'm considering 5:
-psychology
-maths
-chemistry
-biology
-english literature

Bio, chem, and any other would be good for all of those options except chem at top unis. Oxford, for example, requires maths, and I can tell you from experience that the course is very maths based indeed. Further maths is also a recommended subject for that course.

For medicine you don't necessarily need biology any more. It does open up options, but there are ~18 med schools that don't need it. If you didn't want to take it, and doing so would either threaten your achieved grades or limit your other options, you don't have to take it.

Thanks so much, that's massively helpful. I aim quite high, and I'm told maths is an unsaid necessity for oxbridge medical by my careers advisor. Is she mistaken?

Yes, she is. Firstly, why would you have a requirement without saying it. That makes no sense. Secondly, Oxford releases extensive stats including on this topic. There is in fact a trend - a correlation that is mainly with BMAT results actually - but there are students who get in without maths, so she is wrong.

In you look at other unis, other subjects actually correlate better with offers than maths though.

Thanks so much for the advice! I've been really close minded with regards to uni because Oxbridge were the two that I had visited, but I really prefer the hands on teaching so I think I would be better in another.

Well... the way you've phrased that... depends what you mean by hands on teaching! Oxbridge would be better for small group teaching clearly, with the tutorial system. But if you're wanting an afternoon per week in a GP surgery or hospital right from the beginning, better pick elsewhere for sure.

Oxbridge is very unique in a lot of ways so its good you've visited, but definitely visit some others before applying.

I talked to the psychology teacher and she was startlingly rude, and she's the only one, so that's that gone. (Don't freak I'm not overreacting, but I know I'd hate an A-level with her).

Wow why was she so rude to someone wanting to do her subject?!

Thanks so much for all the help! I'm sure now I want either a chemistry degree or medicine, and since you can only apply for 4 medicine spots I'll apply for three and two for chemistry or something like that. Typing it all out has really helped, and I really appreciate you taking the time :smile: :smile: :smile:

I mean, that is not exactly the best plan! You're saying you literally want to let this life-changing decision regarding your lifelong career just to pure chance lol?! Throw the dice in the air and see which uni you get into?! You should really put the effort into making that decision before you apply to uni. If it takes a gap year or something for your to make up your mind then so be it - this is your entire life!

Besides - you may find that good unis for chemistry are put off by a medicine personal statement, and med schools would definitely definitely be put of by a combined/chemistry one.
Just quickly wanted to add a note and say that Maths A Level isn’t impossible. If you’re predicted a 9 and your maths teacher thinks you’ll do well at A Level, then you clearly are bright enough and if you work hard, I’m sure you can do well at it. It’s like any other A Level - all A Levels are difficult, so don’t let it put you off. Further Maths A Level is a different story (now, that is really a step up and almost at the level of a maths degree in some ways), but yep, normal Maths A Level is doable if you enjoy maths, so if you think you’d like it, don’t be put off by any horror stories people tell you.
Original post by Mona123456
Just quickly wanted to add a note and say that Maths A Level isn’t impossible. If you’re predicted a 9 and your maths teacher thinks you’ll do well at A Level, then you clearly are bright enough and if you work hard, I’m sure you can do well at it.

Indeed, its one of the A-levels with the highest rates of A and A* grades.

It’s like any other A Level - all A Levels are difficult, so don’t let it put you off. Further Maths A Level is a different story

Lol, no. Not at a good uni anyway. I did f.maths, but I literally couldn't understand the questions my maths colleagues were doing just two weeks into the course.
Original post by nexttime
Lol, no. Not at a good uni anyway. I did f.maths, but I literally couldn't understand the questions my maths colleagues were doing just two weeks into the course.

Fair enough - I agree it does depend on the Uni. Of course, Further Maths A Level isn’t on the same difficult level as a maths degree at a RG or Oxbridge. I meant more that Further Maths A Level utilises the skills of Uni level maths more - there’s a fair bit of proofs, very intricate processes, a *lot* of content, a high level of abstract thinking, lots of slightly weird conceptual ideas, and a high level of problem solving and creativity required, especially with some applied modules which are full of context (and even some of the core pure stuff). And, compared to normal Maths A Level, which is really more about learning methods and the fundamentals, Further Maths A Level does seem a pretty big leap towards Uni-style questions and content. Of course though, a maths degree at a good Uni is undoubtedly harder, it’s just that Further Maths A Level builds some of the advanced skills and thinking processes that Maths A Level just doesn’t. At least with the new spec anyway.
Original post by nexttime
Bio, chem, and any other would be good for all of those options except chem at top unis. Oxford, for example, requires maths, and I can tell you from experience that the course is very maths based indeed. Further maths is also a recommended subject for that course.

For medicine you don't necessarily need biology any more. It does open up options, but there are ~18 med schools that don't need it. If you didn't want to take it, and doing so would either threaten your achieved grades or limit your other options, you don't have to take it.

Yes, she is. Firstly, why would you have a requirement without saying it. That makes no sense. Secondly, Oxford releases extensive stats including on this topic. There is in fact a trend - a correlation that is mainly with BMAT results actually - but there are students who get in without maths, so she is wrong.

In you look at other unis, other subjects actually correlate better with offers than maths though.

Well... the way you've phrased that... depends what you mean by hands on teaching! Oxbridge would be better for small group teaching clearly, with the tutorial system. But if you're wanting an afternoon per week in a GP surgery or hospital right from the beginning, better pick elsewhere for sure.

Oxbridge is very unique in a lot of ways so its good you've visited, but definitely visit some others before applying.

Wow why was she so rude to someone wanting to do her subject?!

I mean, that is not exactly the best plan! You're saying you literally want to let this life-changing decision regarding your lifelong career just to pure chance lol?! Throw the dice in the air and see which uni you get into?! You should really put the effort into making that decision before you apply to uni. If it takes a gap year or something for your to make up your mind then so be it - this is your entire life!

Besides - you may find that good unis for chemistry are put off by a medicine personal statement, and med schools would definitely definitely be put of by a combined/chemistry one.

Thanks so much for the really helpful reply! I'm quite settled on Chemistry, Biology and Maths and I've applied already, so that's that! In checking out other universities soon, and I'm talking to a friend at UCL who really likes it there, to get an inside view. I have no idea why the teacher was so rude. I pride myself on being nice and as polite as possible, but she was an hour late to a meeting I came in early for, then proceed to leave immediately saying she was going to get food instead. Apparently she is also quite unreliable, and she's very young too.
I realise I've phrased the last bit wrong, I meant that I would take 4, and drop biology or English depending on which degree I wanted to do with the experience of a term of A-levels. Then my statement would be tailored to my uni course :smile:
Thanks so much for the help!
Ah ok phew! Everyone says how horribly hard it is and frankly I'm now terrified! I'm in Div 2 from 1-4, with Div one doing further maths GCSE, and I was in div one for quite a while, but got moved after the lessons started to go too fast for me.

Quick Reply

Latest