The Student Room Group

Manchester A104 / A106 2020 Offer Holders

Scroll to see replies

Can someone help me with the offer holder declaration form, when uploading certificates does it just want GCSEs? And it says "if possible please upload your certificates as a single upload" what does that mean 1 certificate per upload or try and fit all you certificate scans into 1 upload, if so how do I do that?
Reply 41
Hey guys I was wondering since you’re all almost second years at Manchester, is PBL hard and how do you know what Information you HAVE to know? Also what are some recommended text books and what should I do now to prepare for medicine because I have firmed Manchester :smile:) thanksss
Do you have to firm before applying for accommodation at Manchester ?
Reply 43
Original post by Zabrarza
Do you have to firm before applying for accommodation at Manchester ?

No, I’ve applied and haven’t firmed yet
Original post by henarr

Oh right cheers, also how many days after receiving the offer does the letter arrive at home ?
Reply 45
Does anybody know when we're meant to apply for student accommodation, and how to do so? Thanks
Reply 46
I think it must’ve been a few days after? Might be longer now because of everything going on :smile:
Original post by jjlk02
Does anybody know when we're meant to apply for student accommodation, and how to do so? Thanks

There should be clear guidance on the uni's accom website for that. You can have a look.
Original post by car1039
Hey guys I was wondering since you’re all almost second years at Manchester, is PBL hard and how do you know what Information you HAVE to know? Also what are some recommended text books and what should I do now to prepare for medicine because I have firmed Manchester :smile:) thanksss

To be honest 'hard'ness is really subjective. A lot depends on your learning style - do you prefer to be given info in the form of lectures, or would you rather source for it yourself? There are pros and cons to both methods. Manchester isn't a 100% PBL system either given that they still have lectures, just that you would need to read up a bit more for certain parts.

This is not a strict / official classification, but things you learn will fall under must know, good to know, nice to know. The 'must know' will be provided as learning outcomes for every case, so there's no excuse for being unsure. However, students usually struggle with the depth. E.g. is it enough to know insulin stimulates glucose uptake, or must I know which receptors, which protein etc.? This is partly scoped by the learning outcomes, partly scoped by your PBL tutors. A good PBL tutor will be able to pull the group back if it is delving too deep and is not required, and will also remind the group if they are not covering something that is required.

Ultimately unless you are going for distinction in exams, just make sure you have a solid understanding of the 'must know' stuff. Any good or nice to know stuff is a bonus. Don't be intimidated by those who have done a degree before; naturally they will know more of those stuff and will score better than many others.

Manchester will provide a reading list of recommended textbooks. But I wouldn't advise rushing to get them. Quite a number of medics get by without using textbooks at all, whilst some (like me) use it fairly frequently. Take the first few weeks to try out both ways and see which suits you best.

Usually my advice would be to focus on your A levels and not medicine since you'll have time for that after As. But seeing as you won't be taking A levels, I guess there's no harm to start reading if you wish to do so. At your stage I would suggest starting with physiology - if you do A levels bio this should be pretty familiar already. Along the way maybe start going through anatomy. Anatomy is very dry so you might want to start with Youtube videos that give overview, before drilling into the details.
Reply 49
Original post by singzeon
To be honest 'hard'ness is really subjective. A lot depends on your learning style - do you prefer to be given info in the form of lectures, or would you rather source for it yourself? There are pros and cons to both methods. Manchester isn't a 100% PBL system either given that they still have lectures, just that you would need to read up a bit more for certain parts.

This is not a strict / official classification, but things you learn will fall under must know, good to know, nice to know. The 'must know' will be provided as learning outcomes for every case, so there's no excuse for being unsure. However, students usually struggle with the depth. E.g. is it enough to know insulin stimulates glucose uptake, or must I know which receptors, which protein etc.? This is partly scoped by the learning outcomes, partly scoped by your PBL tutors. A good PBL tutor will be able to pull the group back if it is delving too deep and is not required, and will also remind the group if they are not covering something that is required.

Ultimately unless you are going for distinction in exams, just make sure you have a solid understanding of the 'must know' stuff. Any good or nice to know stuff is a bonus. Don't be intimidated by those who have done a degree before; naturally they will know more of those stuff and will score better than many others.

Manchester will provide a reading list of recommended textbooks. But I wouldn't advise rushing to get them. Quite a number of medics get by without using textbooks at all, whilst some (like me) use it fairly frequently. Take the first few weeks to try out both ways and see which suits you best.

Usually my advice would be to focus on your A levels and not medicine since you'll have time for that after As. But seeing as you won't be taking A levels, I guess there's no harm to start reading if you wish to do so. At your stage I would suggest starting with physiology - if you do A levels bio this should be pretty familiar already. Along the way maybe start going through anatomy. Anatomy is very dry so you might want to start with Youtube videos that give overview, before drilling into the details.

Thank you so much!!!!!! This is what I needed 😆
I received an offer over a week ago but haven't had a confirmation letter or email yet. Anyone else in the same situation? I assume there's a backlog with current events but just thought I'd check?
Reply 51
Original post by username020234
I received an offer over a week ago but haven't had a confirmation letter or email yet. Anyone else in the same situation? I assume there's a backlog with current events but just thought I'd check?

Same no email
Yeh same no email or letter ?
Original post by henarr

How did you apply? I tried but I need a Manchester uni number which isn't on the offer email
Reply 54
Original post by georgieharrison
How did you apply? I tried but I need a Manchester uni number which isn't on the offer email

I got my offer back in January and a letter came in the post a few days later with the uni number, so I’m not sure if it’s possible to apply until you get the letter
Any thoughts on affordable accommodation? I want to be with other med students in accommodation that’s reasonable
Original post by bethdowding
Any thoughts on affordable accommodation? I want to be with other med students in accommodation that’s reasonable

In general, uni accom tends to be more affordable. You can look up the uni's accom website for it; there are also many posts on TSR (under the UoM forum) about it.
As for living with other medical students, I'm not sure how feasible that is in first-year. Generally as freshers people don't know many others who are going to the same uni / course as them, so they apply to uni accom and get allocated randomly to their rooms. Then from there they get to know people, either from their accom or from their course. From second year they can then choose to move out and get a house / flat amongst themselves. So unless you know people already, it's going to be hard.
Reply 57
Any mature students on here? I just firmed Manchester.
Has anyone firmed Manc yet?
Reply 59
Original post by medicine654321
Has anyone firmed Manc yet?

My Son has firmed it just today.
Will he get some kind of letter or email for what next?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending