The Student Room Group

First Year Schemes/Open Days

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ether1um
Saw those posts too. I'm assuming we're rejected if we haven't heard back yet?

My application says ‘on hold’ - really don’t know what that means.
Original post by Lxxa14
My application says ‘on hold’ - really don’t know what that means.

iirc it's always been "on hold"
Reply 22
I got one and it said to confirm by next week so I imagine they're not giving any more - unless people can't come so they release those places?
Has anybody else applied for the spring scheme at Freshfields? My portal said it updated yesterday but not received any sort of email so I'm assuming I am just waiting to receive a PFO.
Original post by HarvestingSeason
I've applied to:

A&O
Baker McKenzie (Currently at video interview stage)
CC (SPARK Rejection)
CMS (Did the test, pending further stages)
DLA Piper (Got the Insight Scheme)
Dentons
HSF (Passed the test, pending further stages)
Kirkland
Latham (Got the Open Day)
Linklaters
Mayer Brown
NRF
Simmons & Simmons
Slaughters
Vinson & Elkins (Got the Open Day)

The DLA thing was nice to hear about, but it's a huge conundrum, since I'm going to go back to my home country for a few weeks and it's right inbetween, which means I have to get plane tickets to go London for 4 days and then back again. I sincerely doubt they'd cover those expenses.

That's amazing, how did you pass those situational judgement test because I always fail haha?
Original post by 123_zippy
That's amazing, how did you pass those situational judgement test because I always fail haha?

I just weigh the pros and cons of each choice. Some are very obviously worse than others.
I realize this might sound disagreeable to many people, but I would honestly think about the choices rather than select them intuitively (which is what you're supposed to do).
Original post by bellebags
Has anybody else applied for the spring scheme at Freshfields? My portal said it updated yesterday but not received any sort of email so I'm assuming I am just waiting to receive a PFO.

Mine said it updated today but i havent recieved any emails too. Whats a PFO
Having done 8 first year schemes, can deffo confirm that some really were a waste of time... others, however, were incredibly useful and got me fast-tracked to direct TC interviews and got me TC offers off the back of a 1st year scheme (I've never had to do a vac scheme). Pick and choose carefully and make sure to only go to firms you deffo think you might want your TC at. I did a week long 1st year scheme that did not fit with all other firms I went to and at every single scheme interview I did after it, it was called out and I was questioned on it/asked if I really was motivated for the type of work these other, different firms did...
Original post by selinekinci03
Mine said it updated today but i havent recieved any emails too. Whats a PFO

Please f off
Original post by coffeeneeded27
Having done 8 first year schemes, can deffo confirm that some really were a waste of time... others, however, were incredibly useful and got me fast-tracked to direct TC interviews and got me TC offers off the back of a 1st year scheme (I've never had to do a vac scheme). Pick and choose carefully and make sure to only go to firms you deffo think you might want your TC at. I did a week long 1st year scheme that did not fit with all other firms I went to and at every single scheme interview I did after it, it was called out and I was questioned on it/asked if I really was motivated for the type of work these other, different firms did...

If you don't mind me asking, which firms would you say had the most egregiously sh*tty schemes and which ones would you say had good ones? Considering you did 8, it seems like you almost did all of them (since there aren't that many).
Original post by HarvestingSeason
If you don't mind me asking, which firms would you say had the most egregiously sh*tty schemes and which ones would you say had good ones? Considering you did 8, it seems like you almost did all of them (since there aren't that many).

hmmm I'm hesitant to give names as I don't want to tie anything back to me. What I will say is some 'schemes' are literally just dragged out open days that last 2-3 days and honestly I felt the content could have been given in a single day. Also be wary of the schemes that claim to offer work shadowing but it was in fact just 2 hours in a department where you can't really see or get involved with much as by the time you get to the office, get introduced to everyone etc the time is basically gone :frown: I deffo didn't do all of them - there were a few I didn't actually even apply for as I had heard bad things/that they were not very useful. Most of the schemes I did were minimum 3 days, most were a full week and were very good. It's the shorter ones I was less of a fan of.

BUT others did really enjoy shorter ones - I'm just one person giving one opinion. My advice is to go into every opportunity with an open mind and see what's on offer - as cheesy as it sounds, it's as much about seeing if the firm is the right fit for you, as it is them seeing if you fit their firm - don't forget that :smile:
Anyone know how to access the Freshfields portal? I cant seem to be able to track my application?
Original post by elliekmorgan62
Anyone know how to access the Freshfields portal? I cant seem to be able to track my application?

https://freshfields.taleo.net/careersection/iam/accessmanagement/login.jsf?lang=en&redirectionURI=https%3A%2F%2Ffreshfields.taleo.net%2Fcareersection%2Fex%2Fmysubmissions.ftl%3Flang%3Den&TARGET=https%3A%2F%2Ffreshfields.taleo.net%2Fcareersection%2Fex%2Fmysubmissions.ftl%3Flang%3Den

try this link! Unsure if it will work, it automatically comes up on my searchbar when I search Freshfields!
Hi all, I got an email from Linklaters asking for my 'A-Level results'. I didn't do A-Levels as I'm 25 and changed careers. Has anyone else received anything from them? I'm holding back on going on holiday in case I get a place but I doubt I will. I asked for my WG results and they were terrible in comparison to everyone else even though I got 28/40 right.
Reply 34
Original post by TamaraMonique
Hi all, I got an email from Linklaters asking for my 'A-Level results'. I didn't do A-Levels as I'm 25 and changed careers. Has anyone else received anything from them? I'm holding back on going on holiday in case I get a place but I doubt I will. I asked for my WG results and they were terrible in comparison to everyone else even though I got 28/40 right.

Haven’t heard nada. Them contacting you has to be a good sign! Just email them back and explain your situation.

Is there any way to see the progress of our applications? Mine just says submitted and gives a summary of the info I gave...
Is there any way to see the progress of our applications? Mine just says submitted and gives a summary of the info I gave...

Mine has changed from submitted to updated but I think that's all you can see, not sure!
Are we assuming that no contact from Links at this stage is a PFO?
Original post by Lxxa14
Haven’t heard nada. Them contacting you has to be a good sign! Just email them back and explain your situation.

I have done :smile: still waiting and I’d prefer the March one so they’re cutting it fine....
F tf

Are we assuming that no contact from Links at this stage is a PFO?

No, they emailed me on Wednesday saying they’re currently in the process of reviewing applications. I suppose they’re still weighing things up

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending