The Student Room Group

Start applying months BEFORE you graduate. Not months after.

Every day I hear there's someone saying they can't find a job, and when asked, turns out they only started applying after graduation. Sometimes months after.

The timeline of events should be as follows:

- July (before your final year) - Begin researching your future and what roles would suit you and what you want to do
- August - Prepare your CV, have a list fo companies you want to apply to
- September -> January - Applications open - start applying. It's a numbers game so apply to as many as possible to get have the best chance of success
- February - Most deadlines have passed, graduate schemes will now filter through the applicants and choose their favourites
- March -> August - Tests, assessmnet centres, interviews
- September - If successful, you will begin your graduate scheme. If not, begin applications again.

The playing field is super competitive so it's important to prepare and manage your time accordingly so you can apply months before you graduate. Thoughts on the above timeline?
Original post by bvftybr6
Every day I hear there's someone saying they can't find a job, and when asked, turns out they only started applying after graduation. Sometimes months after.

The timeline of events should be as follows:

- July (before your final year) - Begin researching your future and what roles would suit you and what you want to do
- August - Prepare your CV, have a list fo companies you want to apply to
- September -> January - Applications open - start applying. It's a numbers game so apply to as many as possible to get have the best chance of success
- February - Most deadlines have passed, graduate schemes will now filter through the applicants and choose their favourites
- March -> August - Tests, assessmnet centres, interviews
- September - If successful, you will begin your graduate scheme. If not, begin applications again.

The playing field is super competitive so it's important to prepare and manage your time accordingly so you can apply months before you graduate. Thoughts on the above timeline?

Very accurate, except start a year earlier and at the very start of your second year engage fully with your University Careers Service and use every resource they have. In particular, go to as many employer events as you can to hear from employers first hand about what they do, what degrees they look for, how to apply etc
Reply 2
My strategy was not have a single clue as to what I wanted to do until the start of 4th year, then realise whilst doing my masters project (I study chemistry) that I did not want to do a PhD, then just applied to two very competitive grad schemes (Deloitte and the Civil Service Fast Stream) that I thought looked quite good and nothing else. I also attended zero careers events or lectures, or anything like that.

Got to the final assessment for Deloitte and failed, but managed a place on the Science and Engineering fast stream to start later this year, which I’m very happy with. But yeah - not the best strategy.

But equally - if you are late to think about it, or get to your last year without a clue as to what’s next - don’t panic! I know so many people who didn’t have a clue until this year
(edited 11 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending