The Student Room Group

Are you worried about the coronavirus?

Scroll to see replies

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (coronavirus included)
Nah. everyone will be zombies anyway. We all know it's coming.
Original post by karl pilkington
Well are you?

Not a big fan of dying and I also prefer Stella tbh.
Original post by Greywolftwo
Again, if you haven’t been in contact with anyone who’s been to China or haven’t been to China yourself then you are absolutely fine.

Definitely not true any more.
Not at all, I thought the fearmongering about ebola was bad but my god this is a hundred times worse. It's practically a bad cough... the flu is far more dangerous yet you don't see the media reporting about every new case of flu in the UK and the world. i don't mean to be crass about its victims but It's actually ridiculous how much it's been blown up
Original post by nemofoot
Not at all, I thought the fearmongering about ebola was bad but my god this is a hundred times worse. It's practically a bad cough... the flu is far more dangerous yet you don't see the media reporting about every new case of flu in the UK and the world. i don't mean to be crass about its victims but It's actually ridiculous how much it's been blown up

It has a far higher death rate than flu.
Reply 46
Original post by nemofoot

Looking at confirmed deaths vs recoveries, 8% have died and, most significantly imo, 20% have serious or critical illness (so if too many people get it there won’t be enough resources so the death rate will tend towards this number). For the flu it’s <0.1%. It’s also more infectious than the flu due to having a long incubation period during which it is infectious.

This new virus started just 2 months ago and has already infected so many. The flu has been present in humans for so long, so it having more cases doesn’t mean anything in comparing the severity of the two.

Ebola wasn’t as infectious, it was a lot more deadly but it wasn’t easily caught hence it was easier to stop it from spreading globally.
Original post by glassalice
The virus in its self does not particularly concern me. However the inability to effectively contain and control virus definitely does.
How is the world going to cope when (not if) a far more deadly virus comes along witch is just as contagious!?

Yes this is it. The response has been so useless it shows we won't have a chance with a more deadly disease.
no
Original post by nexttime
Definitely not true any more.

It definitely still is true, if you haven’t been in contact with anyone who doesn’t have the virus you are fine.
Yes this is it. The response has been so useless it shows we won't have a chance with a more deadly disease.

The coronavirus does fit the criteria for disease ‘X’

I know it isn't a bacterial disease (crona virus) , however to compound the worlds problem with lack of preparation for such an event, the research and funding for new antibiotics is shocking!!!
I actually think governments should actually insentivise big parma into putting more resources into such research.
Worried more for my parents and the elderly.
Original post by Greywolftwo
Public health England has successfully tracked the whereabouts of every single individual to come into contact with someone who has come from China. Public Health England will know of the whereabouts of people.

I think you're putting a little too much trust into the UK - it's impossible to get every single person because there will be many who are unaware (it's just like a heavy cold), people who don't come forward out of fear or people that are in denial and think they can handle it on their own.

If you've read up on it recently there's already cases in Italy and across the globe, especially in Africa where media coverage is poor and we don't know the condition of it. Now it's in Europe, it could easily spread to us. Just be wary!
Original post by nexttime
It has a far higher death rate than flu.

Death toll from flu in Jan 2020 - 10,000
Death toll from coronavirus from Feb and Jan 2020 - 2,800
Original post by yzanne
I think you're putting a little too much trust into the UK - it's impossible to get every single person because there will be many who are unaware (it's just like a heavy cold), people who don't come forward out of fear or people that are in denial and think they can handle it on their own.

If you've read up on it recently there's already cases in Italy and across the globe, especially in Africa where media coverage is poor and we don't know the condition of it. Now it's in Europe, it could easily spread to us. Just be wary!

I’m reading up on it all of the time.
Reply 56
Original post by yzanne
Death toll from flu in Jan 2020 - 10,000
Death toll from coronavirus from Feb and Jan 2020 - 2,800

It's worth pointing out though that the coronavirus isn't yet a pandemic so you wouldn't expect the numbers to be as high as flu. If as many people in the world were infected with coronavirus as flu then coronavirus would see more deaths.
Well are you?

just carry hand sanitizer everywhere you go and wear it whenever you eat!
Not particularly. There have only been 15 reported cases in the UK and people suspected of having it are kept in isolation so your chance of catching it is extremely low. You're more likely to get the flu or something. Unfortunately news reports are causing widespread fear-mongering and establishing mass panic which is probably worse than the virus itself (at least in the UK).
Original post by kittyfifi123456
just carry hand sanitizer everywhere you go and wear it whenever you eat!

yes - the virus is spreading... you'll never know where it will be next.

Quick Reply

Latest