The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle University Accommodation

Hi, I am going to study in Newcastle University next year and have to decide on accommodation soon. I decided to put Castle leazes and park view down but I don't know what to put as my third. I want a sociable accommodation. I haven't heard much about Turner court, Windsor Terrace and Marris House - what are they like? Any information about other accommodation would also be helpful! Thank you!
Hey, I’m in a similar position to you and I’ve been told Castle Leazes is the most social but haven’t heard much about the other halls. Do you know how/when we can start applying?
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
Hey! Apparently we can apply sometime is April, the exact date hasn’t been decided yet. But register here https://accommodation.ncl.ac.uk/apply/ to apply.I’ve heard Park view is the second most social. I know the view and Bowsden court aren’t really social.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I’m in a similar position to you and I’ve been told Castle Leazes is the most social but haven’t heard much about the other halls. Do you know how/when we can start applying?

Hi Anonymous,

Glad to hear you're coming to study with us! :smile:
Our accommodation team is aiming to get applications for September 2020 open in mid to late March. In the meantime, check out our accommodation pages here to view our sites: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/. These pages will be updated for 2020 applications soon so make sure you keep an eye out.

In terms of which accommodation is best for you, why not chat to a current student about this? You can find them via our Unibuddy platform here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/study/contact/unibuddy/. Ask them anything from which accommodation halls they stayed in to student life and experience!

Hope this helps!

- Laura
Hey I'm a first year student at newcastle university, staying in marris house.

All the accommodation is pretty social tbh from what I've seen. If you want to be social then you will be wherever you stay. However I'm pretty sure that when you come away from home to university your priorities aren't gonna be where is the most social place, because everywhere is social. Most likely you will want a nice room and living space to come back to.

Wouldn't go for castle leazes, you will regret it- everyone I know living there doesn't like it and it's pretty much universally known as the worst accommodation. Packed kitchen without any space, decently sized rooms but it's just not as nice as any of the other accommodation. All the bad stories I've heard have come from castle leazes.

Park view is a good choice, this is probably the best accommodation honestly. Bit pricey, though.

Marris house where I'm staying is really nice. It's just been refurbished- its cheaper and the kitchen is really nice and spacious. Downside from park view is the rooms are a tiny bit smaller and no en suite.

I dont know anything about Turner court or Windsor terrace.

St Mary's is the one you hear everyone talk rubbish about. But it's actually pretty nice and I would say one of the most social. My sister stayed there and had a great time, and I know some people staying there who like it a lot. I've been there and it's nice. Only a short bus journey away from uni, not that big of a deal really. And super cheap!!!

Let me know if you have any questions :smile:)) good luck !
Reply 5
Hey thank you so much was really helpful
Have you heard anything about Castle Court? Thats the bit i want to stay in in castle leazes as its self catered so actually has kitchen space and i think its newer
Original post by nettaoren
Hey thank you so much was really helpful
Have you heard anything about Castle Court? Thats the bit i want to stay in in castle leazes as its self catered so actually has kitchen space and i think its newer

I haven't heard about the specific ones but I dont think you get to choose ?

I think self catered have the worst balance of space unfortunately, my friend shares with 13 people in a self catered flat and the kitchen is tiny. Half the size of my kitchen and we're only sharing between 6. If catered then you wont really need the kitchen as much anyway

But yeah it's up to you of course, I'm only giving you my honest thoughts :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by gomgossa
I haven't heard about the specific ones but I dont think you get to choose ?

I think self catered have the worst balance of space unfortunately, my friend shares with 13 people in a self catered flat and the kitchen is tiny. Half the size of my kitchen and we're only sharing between 6. If catered then you wont really need the kitchen as much anyway

But yeah it's up to you of course, I'm only giving you my honest thoughts :smile:

no of course thank you so much for your help!
hey, im looking to come to Newcastle next year and the accommodation is stressing me out so much! i've just read all of what you were saying above and wanna hear more about castle leases?! from what i've heard its the best and most fun but why is it bad? are u a very social person and did you enjoy your accom in Marris house, whats it like? what would you say are the most social houses out of all and self catered or catered!!!!!! sorry for all those questions I just have no other form of finding stuff like this out! thanks so much xx this is really appreciated x
Reply 9
From what i hear people say Castle Leazes is bad because of lack of common spaces, it app looks like a prison and if u want to sleep at night can be noisy because its the party halls. I also hear the food in catered is pretty bad
Original post by Newcastle University
Hi Anonymous,

Glad to hear you're coming to study with us! :smile:
Our accommodation team is aiming to get applications for September 2020 open in mid to late March. In the meantime, check out our accommodation pages here to view our sites: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/accommodation/. These pages will be updated for 2020 applications soon so make sure you keep an eye out.

In terms of which accommodation is best for you, why not chat to a current student about this? You can find them via our Unibuddy platform here: https://www.ncl.ac.uk/study/contact/unibuddy/. Ask them anything from which accommodation halls they stayed in to student life and experience!

Hope this helps!

- Laura

Hi, do you know when you are aiming to get applications in for this year, 2021-2022? Im starting to become worried as there is no communication about this and lots of other unis and private had already started accepting applications long ago. It May and I thought most of this should be done by now??
Original post by bubbazen
Hi, do you know when you are aiming to get applications in for this year, 2021-2022? Im starting to become worried as there is no communication about this and lots of other unis and private had already started accepting applications long ago. It May and I thought most of this should be done by now??

Hi bubbazen,

Students due to join us in September 2021 are not able to apply for accommodation just yet, sorry. All offer holders will receive an email inviting them to apply once the application portal is open for them.

However there’s no rush to complete the online application, as we don’t make room allocations based on the date you apply. Further information is available on how and when we allocate accommodation here

Hope this helps! :biggrin:

- Gregor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending