The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Edinburgh University accommodation

When’s the best time to apply for accommodation at the university of Edinburgh?

I want to get a good one so when’s the latest I should apply, just as I’m not 100% sure if I’m going to that uni yet.
Hi @niamhmackintosh!

Applications for University of Edinburgh accommodation usually opens around March, but I don't think that you can apply until you have accepted an offer to study with them, whether that's conditional or unconditional.

From what I remember from my own time at UoE, you apply for 5 preferred accommodations and room types, and ResLife to their best to allocate you to one of them. I believe that they book rooms for students in all of the accommodations at the rate of offer acceptance, so you'll still have a good chance of getting one of your favourite accommodations if you choose a little later, but it's best to apply as soon as you've made your decision!

If you're still not sure, I'd recommend taking a look at their website for more info - they have a great FAQs section for this sort of thing.

That said if you do have any further questions about accommodation in Edinburgh, whether it's uni halls, private halls (like Student Roost!), or a private flat, feel free to let me know - I've lived in Edinburgh for 6 years now, most of which as a student :smile: - Emma L
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 2
Original post by Student Roost - Edinburgh
Hi @niamhmackintosh!

Applications for University of Edinburgh accommodation usually opens around March, but I don't think that you can apply until you have accepted an offer to study with them, whether that's conditional or unconditional.

From what I remember from my own time at UoE, you apply for 5 preferred accommodations and room types, and ResLife to their best to allocate you to one of them. I believe that they book rooms for students in all of the accommodations at the rate of offer acceptance, so you'll still have a good chance of getting one of your favourite accommodations if you choose a little later, but it's best to apply as soon as you've made your decision!

If you're still not sure, I'd recommend taking a look at their website for more info - they have a great FAQs section for this sort of thing.

That said if you do have any further questions about accommodation in Edinburgh, whether it's uni halls, private halls (like Student Roost!), or a private flat, feel free to let me know - I've lived in Edinburgh for 6 years now, most of which as a student :smile: - Emma L

I’m thinking of firming Edinburgh and I have a couple of questions about accommodation if that’s okay.

Should I stay in uni halls or private accommodation?
And how is student life in Edinburgh?

Thanks.
Hi Dear,

There are a number of student accommodation providers in the Uk. Choose the provider who will provide you the best student accommodation in Edinburgh. The room will be in your budget or all bills will be included. Choose accommodation near to your university so you will save money from travelling. You can browse Best Student Halls websites to find budget-friendly and verified places to stay in Uk's. A large variety of room types, including student halls, shared and en suite rooms and apartments are available at 100% free service charge.

Otherwise, you can contact them, they will guide you to choose the best student accommodation in Edinburgh.

Hope you find your accommodation.

Thanks
Hi @costaa,

As said above, take a look at all the options and find the right fit for your personal situation, but here's my take on it :smile:

University accommodation is found throughout the city and you choose your "top 5" or similar and they try their best to allocate you to one of these (or at least that's how it was when I was in 1st year, and seems to be the case for my sister, who recently firmed University of Edinburgh too!) Most of these locations are 1st-years only, mainly inhabited by "Freshers" around 17-19 years old, although there are exceptions to this of course. Catered facilities are found at Pollock Halls, which is about 20 minutes' walk away from George Square campus, and self-catered facilities are found all over the city. Some accommodations will provide en-suite bathrooms, some will have shared facilities. You'll also find that some have large common rooms, whereas others do not, so take this all into consideration when choosing your top 5.

Private Student accommodation is a little different. When booking, you choose a specific room type in a specific building, so you'll know exactly where you're staying - here at Student Roost Edinburgh, we'll also do our best to take into account any requests you have regarding floor, flat size, and even which way the room faces. You'll also know exactly what you're getting regarding facilities and shared spaces, and will usually be able to visit the property before booking, although this will probably be much harder in the current lock down. Private student accommodation usually has a few more options regarding room type too, e.g. studios, although uni-owned accommodations sometimes have a limited number of these too. There's usually more of a mix of ages and nationalities in private student accommodation, so you'll meet lots more people from different backgrounds as well as your own. Unlike uni-owned accommodation, you can choose to rebook private accommodation for your second year if you wish to stay and you'll usually get some sort of rebooker discount!

Both uni-owned and private student accommodations will run regular events for residents, especially at the start of the year. This is so that you can get to know your neighbours and begin building friendships right from the get go :smile:

There's also private flats that you can rent from letting agencies etc. however, I'm unsure on how well that would suit a new student in a new city - if this is something you do pursue, make sure to rent from a trusted agency, always check the landlord reference, and never hand over any money before signing a contract.

Student life in Edinburgh is good fun - there's a large student population, pretty much all campuses are close to or within the city, and there's something for everyone. Depending on what you're into, there's all sorts of great cafes, lots of green spaces - a large park called the Meadows and Arthur's Seat are both located in the city center, a huge variety of pubs and clubs, and all sorts of various activities. Edinburgh uni has one of the largest selections of student societies in the UK and has a huge number of sports teams too. It also has 3 student unions, Potterrow Dome, The Pleasance, and Teviot Row House. The latter has a number of cafes and pubs - the nachos at Teviot's Library Bar are a firm favourite, would absolutely recommend. Teviot is also the oldest purpose-built student union in the world!

I really love it here in Edinburgh, so much so that I chose to stay after graduating. If you do choose Edinburgh, I really do hope that you enjoy your time here, and let me know if you'd ever like more info on the city, accommodation, or Student Roost specifically :smile:

- Emma L
Original post by sefajoshi
Hi Dear,

There are a number of student accommodation providers in the Uk. Choose the provider who will provide you the best student accommodation in Edinburgh. The room will be in your budget or all bills will be included. Choose accommodation near to your university so you will save money from travelling. You can browse Best Student Halls websites to find budget-friendly and verified places to stay in Uk's. A large variety of room types, including student halls, shared and en suite rooms and apartments are available at 100% free service charge.

Otherwise, you can contact them, they will guide you to choose the best student accommodation in Edinburgh.

Hope you find your accommodation.

Thanks

Quick heads up! If you're thinking of moving into any Student Roost Accommodation you can get an easy £200 cashback when using the agent referral code ‘Stunii_2021’ when booking via their website.
Original post by Student Roost - Edinburgh
Hi @niamhmackintosh!

Hi Emma,

I applied for student accomodation on the 10th of April. I received my A-level results on the 10th of august and I am a UF confirmed England resident. I have yet to receive any correspondence regarding my accomodation allocation. However, I only just noticed on my Euclid intray that I needed to have send in certification of previous qualifications (GCSE’s) by the 30th of June, which I have sent in this morning. Should I be worried? Will I have messed up my accomodation application for not sending the certificate in time and am now at the back of the queue?
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi @Donkey oniichaan

I'm not a representative of The University of Edinburgh, so I'm afraid that I'm not equipped to answer that, but it may be worth contacting the relevant admissions team for your school. You can find more information and contact details here: https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-systems/support-guidance/applicants/ucas-app-help

If the admissions office is not the correct contact, they may be able to point you in the right direction.

- Emma L

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending