The Student Room Group

Is private accommodation worth it?

Hi, I've been offered accommodation by Edinburgh university but it is a 40 minute walk from the city centre. Does anyone have any experience with private accommodation as this would allow me to be more central? I don't think I want to be with postgrads, but I don't really know how different the mix of people would be. Any advice would be really appreciated
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by srn8
Hi, I've been offered accommodation by Edinburgh university but it is a 40 minute walk from the city centre. Does anyone have any experience with private accommodation as this would allow me to be more central? I don't think I want to be with postgrads, but I don't really know how different the mix of people would be. Any advice would be really appreciated

Hi there,
There's definitely perks to private student accommodation, especially if you're not happy with your allocation. For example (although we are currently sold out at our Edinburgh properties but you can join the waiting lists), we have all-bills included, city centre locations and additional facilities that make for so much more than a room. In terms of who you'll be allocated with, you could opt for a studio if you prefer but I'd highly recommend contacting the accommodation team of any property you choose to apply for. You can usually list preferences when you apply and teams will try to meet these. However, it is subject to availability.

Hope this helps and good luck with uni!

- Sophie
Reply 2
Hii, I went to university and stayed in a private accommodation. I would say it’s probably the best thing I have chosen to take especially because I’m close to town centre and university campuses and train stations. Very convenient in terms of location wise, therefore it’s easier to stay longer in those places which increased my likeliness in meeting new people and making new friends. I’d say, if you’re someone who is independent, and can live alone I’d recommend it to you. Then again, I know a lot of people with fomo, and everyone’s experience is different. That is all depending on your involvement in societal events and eager to make new friends.
Original post by srn8
Original post by srn8

Hi @srn8,

Living in private accommodation that suits your needs is better than living somewhere you feel will hinder your ability and motivation to get to campus. You can definitely still make friends while living in private accommodation. Many students living off-campus actively seek out social opportunities through clubs, classes, events, and other activities. This is what I did! I chose to live in private halls for my first year and found that a lot of other first years chose to do that too!

Additionally, universities often have various social gatherings and clubs that provide opportunities to meet new people, regardless of where you live. Making friends might require a bit more effort compared to living on-campus, but it's certainly possible and can lead to meaningful connections and experiences.

Wishing you all the best,
Ellie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending