The Student Room Group

How Is It like With Space In Uni Dorms?

I am going to uni next year and am wondering what it is like with space in dorm rooms? Do you have space for furniture or decorations etc... ?
Original post by antonymttn
I am going to uni next year and am wondering what it is like with space in dorm rooms? Do you have space for furniture or decorations etc... ?

Firstly, int he UK a dorm room is specifically a large room with rows of beds where you have no private space. They aren't used any more and certainly no university has them. You will confuse people using that term.

University accommodation varies enormously, there is absolutely no standard. Students generally get what they are given and make the most of it, it's just a sleeping space after all. It will be furnished, and there are rules on decoration that are specific to the building.

Hi!

In university accommodation generally, you won't have room for extra furniture. Most uni rooms have a desk, desk chair, shelves, wardrobe, coat hooks, mirror, lamp, bed and a bedside table. Which is generally all you need, I'd recommend bringing some decorations to make it feel like home. However, check with the university guidelines on what you can bring, as it varies across universities.

As an example for decorations in my first year, I brought some fairy lights (mine had to be battery-powered to be in line with regulations), any going away / good luck cards, a plant and a lamp. But don't worry too much. If you are low on space or don't want to bring loads of stuff to University you can always get some decorations when you're there!

As an example of some university accommodation, I'll link our on-campus accommodations below so you can get an idea but if you search for any university and type accommodation afterwards you'll be able to have a look at accommodation from loads of universities!

Contemporary en suite: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/edinburgh/accommodation/ug/self-catered-rooms-en-suite-shared-flat-ug.htm
Traditional en suite: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/edinburgh/accommodation/ug/self-catered-rooms-en-suite.htm
Traditional non-en suite: https://www.hw.ac.uk/uk/edinburgh/accommodation/ug/self-catered-rooms.htm

I hope this helps a bit! If you have any more questions feel free to ask :smile:

- Jessica
2nd year, Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence)

Hi @antonymttn,

Accommodation (or dorms) will vary from place to place, so it is worth doing your research on the university/universities you are going to/interested in. You can usually find pictures or a walk-through on their website, and this will give you a better idea of the space you will have. It will also vary depending on if you are staying on-campus, or in private accommodation.

Generally, there isn't space for extra furniture, although you may be able to bring something small. It really depends. There will be certain rules and regulations on what you are allowed to bring, so make sure to take a look at those. There is definitely space for decorations, and I personally brought some plants, a lamp, fairy lights, and pictures.

I'd recommend having a look on the university website to get an idea. Here is an example of some of our on-campus accommodation: https://www1.chester.ac.uk/astbury-house & https://www1.chester.ac.uk/grosvenor-house.

I hope this helps!
Isabella

Hi there,
As other posters have mentioned, the size of accommodation varies widely. I'd recommend doing your research on accommodation in any university cities you're interested in (this includes university owned accommodation, private student accommodation, houses etc) and coming up with your list of priorities. If space is something extremely important to you then you might want to opt for a larger room (if sizes are not listed on the accommodation's site, I'd suggest contacting the accommodation to ask or arrange a viewing). You can take a look at our accommodations here.

I would say most accommodations already come with furniture and would not have space for very large items. For example, you may be ok to bring a gaming chair if you're into gaming but you would not have the space for a second wardrobe. Certain items may not also be permitted, so it's worth checking with your accommodation to see what you can bring.

Decorations are a must, especially if you want your student accommodation to feel more like home- think of ittle things like fake plants, pictures and books! We've got blogs on what to pack and what not to pack that may come in handy!

- Sophie

Hi @antonymttn,

I hope you are keeping well :smile:.

Though it does vary from University to University, and even Department to Department, for the most part it's generally true that dorm rooms can be quite small. There are ways to maximise your space though and create a comfortable home away from home.

In general, though you won't have room for extra furniture in university accommodation, you also won't really need to bring it either, as the necessities should be included in your room to begin with e.g. beds, desks, chairs, wardrobes, and shelves.
However, you will most likely be able to bring and fit in other small accessories to decorate and bring some colour into your room, like led lights, posters, plants, and pictures. I'd recommend taking advantage of vertical space if you really want to decorate, as it's not only more advantageous, and typically more decorative, but it also tends to be easier to pack or move.

I hope this helps :biggrin:

Warm regards,

David :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending