The Student Room Group

Could I get into Oxbridge with these GCSE grades?

If I get:

Maths = 9
English language = 9
English literature = 9
History = 9
Religious studies = 9
Combined science (foundation tier) = 5-5
BTEC Health and Social Care = Level 2 Distinction*
Spanish (foundation tier) = 5

Im doing foundation tier in Spanish and possibly combined science which means the highest I can get is a grade 5 in those subjects. Will the grade 5’s be an issue to get accepted into Oxford or Cambridge?

I’m obviously writing this hypothetically because it’s not a certainty if do get these grades, however, I want to know if the grade 5’s will affect my chances at oxbridge because I do plan to apply there. (Preferably Oxford). Btw, I do not plan on studying languages or sciences at university whatsoever.
Do you also think I’d have a better shot at Oxford of Cambridge?

Thank you all! I look forward to your replies! x
Reply 1
How do you get a 9 in maths but a 5 in science?
where yo a levels @
Reply 3
Original post by _ap12
How do you get a 9 in maths but a 5 in science?

It’s complicated. I am really good at maths, however in science I usually get 5’s and a few 6’s. My science teacher doesn’t trust me on higher even though I know I’m capable of doing it. I know in the real exam I could get at least a 6 or 7, and doing foundation would cap my grade at a 5. He just doesn’t trust me which is annoying. On the other hand, I don’t know why I’m better at maths than science tbh, I couldn’t really tell you🤷*♀️.
Reply 4
Original post by yourmuddagyal
where yo a levels @

I haven’t done them yet but if you’re asking what I’m choosing then they are:

English Literature
History
Government and Politics
Religious Studies (if I do a fourth)
Original post by ItsAlicia
It’s complicated. I am really good at maths, however in science I usually get 5’s and a few 6’s. My science teacher doesn’t trust me on higher even though I know I’m capable of doing it. I know in the real exam I could get at least a 6 or 7, and doing foundation would cap my grade at a 5. He just doesn’t trust me which is annoying. On the other hand, I don’t know why I’m better at maths than science tbh, I couldn’t really tell you🤷*♀️.

Maybe mention this in your Personal Statement/Interviews? Also it seems like you don't want to pursue Science so you should be okay as you got the top grades in everything.
I don't know about Oxford, but when you're applying to Cambridge you get an SAQ form to put any additional circumstances in, such as your science situation :smile: I wouldn't mention ANYTHING negative in my personal statement, if I were you - it shows you in a better light if you stay positive and stay focused on your successes, rather than discussing things outside of your control. Interviews are also mainly focused on PS and usually academic questions, rather than external circumstances. As long as you don't want to do a degree in science, I definitely think it's possible that you'd get in - I got in with a C and a 6! There are so many parts to the selection process so although you could be rejected for GCSEs, if you get mostly 8s/9s then you're clearly highly academic and I'd think it unlikely. If you then write a killer PS and revise well for entrance exams (if your subject has them), a couple of lower grades probably wouldn't matter so much (although this does depend on the popularity of the course, which university you apply to and many other factors).
Original post by ItsAlicia
If I get:

Maths = 9
English language = 9
English literature = 9
History = 9
Religious studies = 9
Combined science (foundation tier) = 5-5
BTEC Health and Social Care = Level 2 Distinction*
Spanish (foundation tier) = 5

Im doing foundation tier in Spanish and possibly combined science which means the highest I can get is a grade 5 in those subjects. Will the grade 5’s be an issue to get accepted into Oxford or Cambridge?

I’m obviously writing this hypothetically because it’s not a certainty if do get these grades, however, I want to know if the grade 5’s will affect my chances at oxbridge because I do plan to apply there. (Preferably Oxford). Btw, I do not plan on studying languages or sciences at university whatsoever.
Do you also think I’d have a better shot at Oxford of Cambridge?

Thank you all! I look forward to your replies! x

This is all rather meaningless because it's based on some arbitrary prediction. However, 8 GCSEs are on the low side for successful applicants to Oxford, and I think the grade 5s in science might be a bit off-putting. Oxford tends to put more emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge, but the A levels are of far more importance.
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
This is all rather meaningless because it's based on some arbitrary prediction. However, 8 GCSEs are on the low side for successful applicants to Oxford, and I think the grade 5s in science might be a bit off-putting. Oxford tends to put more emphasis on GCSEs than Cambridge, but the A levels are of far more importance.

I understand, however, my school only allows us to do a maximum of 8 GCSEs. So unfortunately that’s out of my control. I already know that I’m at a disadvantage because of that alone.

Quick Reply

Latest