The Student Room Group

Tips for chronic procrastinators?

Whenever I go to do an assignment or write/read a long block of text I find it so hard to concentrate and I constantly get sidetracked. Do you ever get this? What do you do to help with it?
i typically listen to lofi hip hop music while i study. i know some teachers say it doesn't work but it really does for me. it puts me into the right headspace to get started on work and if its playing for ages then i can go hours concentrating but (classical music doesn't work for me because i studied music GCSE and now i do music a level.) at school we aren't allowed to play music while we have supervised study sessions (not even if we study music or music tech ugh) so i hardly get any work done. as soon as i get home and put my music and sit at my usual desk, i get right into studying!
What sidetracks you exactly? Define the source of your distraction and remove it.
Original post by Anuxicus
Whenever I go to do an assignment or write/read a long block of text I find it so hard to concentrate and I constantly get sidetracked. Do you ever get this? What do you do to help with it?

Your conscious mind and unconscious mind act as a team and There are two types of focus: Conscious attention (Willpower) and Unconscious attention (Daydreaming).
If they disagree, there is an inner conflict that creates inner resistance. That 's why you get sidetrack and find it hard to concentrate.
It is much easier to use on unconscious attention to stay focus rather than relying on conscious attention to force focus.
SO, Always start by making them agree together when trying to achieve any task you might consider difficult.
Before you start, draw an image of the topic, put it on your left, and visualize it for 1 min. The energy you spend drawing the image is far less than the energy you would spend fighting against internal distractions later. You will observe how easy to "get IN " the task.
If your attention wanders, just look at the picture again from time to time to easily get back on track.

The process goes like this (see the attached picture)
Step 1 handwrite your goal 3 times at least
Step 2 draw the first image that comes out from your mind about the topic you want to achieve
Step 3 put it on your left eye’s side
Step 4 look at this image (countdown internally until 70 )
Step 5 start working on the activity. Put any development you do in your right side.

I Hope it helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Anuxicus

I get this all the time. I had to download an app that manages to stop me from going on my phone and I only use my computer to listen to music, preferably without lyrics as that distracts me so i listen to piano/orchestra music. Maybe try clearing your work space.
What do if it’s my own thoughts distracting me?

Got you there

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending