The Student Room Group

Chronic procrastination but I have less than 3 months left till a levels!!help

Hi ,
I'm In year 13 and have around 78 days left till my a levels exam in the summer . I do biology , chemistry and Religious studies and I'm taking a gap year after school. Been dealing with procrastination really all my life if I'm given months to do something I wont do it till I feel the urgency of a couples days left which then I cram like crazy and burn my self out so much in the process whuch destroys my mental health . I'm self aware of my problem I just don't think I can't change it as in I feel like I'm in a loop ever since GCSE till now from every mock to every mid unit tests I do the same habits no matter how hard I want to change I still happen to do the same thing . Leave it till late cram and then get anxious and tired and give up. The worst about all of this is that when I actually try hard and put my mind to something I genuinely have potential and do well this is what hurts me the most when get the bad grades knowing I'm wasting my potential . I don't know the root cause of my procrastination I been an anxiety filled person all my teenage years . I think sometimes I leave it till late because I have the comfort of knowing the deadline is too far away so I'm okay for now and then I realise I'm losing time I have a panic attack and I get so overwhelmed with everything I have to do the hardwork scares me that I back up and just let it pile up instead of dealing with it I avoid it because I hate being uncomfortable. Or maybe it's beacuse I lack self compassion and I don't really love myself enough to try do well yet I feel like I have a million reasons why I wanna succeed I want it so bad it scares me but yet I still don't put effort . Also it all started with a big burnout I had and ever since then I just have a cycle of cramming and burning out which I hate sooo much yet I do it all the same . In case you couldn't tell I lack self discipline. I ahve watched every video and read every article and I know all the tips I just don't do it it acc feels like a can't at this point . With 78dayd left and with soo much to do I genuinely want to try my hardest and just see where it gets me but it's not that I don't know how I just can't? (Apologies for sounding like a pitiful victim ) . Does anyone go through this or has ever overcame this ?? I want nothing more than too break free I feel honestly mentally exhausted in this continuous cycle it's getting boring. Sometimes I bave 5 lazy days and then 1 days I get a boost of productivity and get so much work done then it goes down . The grades I need is AAA for a levels I think I can get an A I RS but I can't see myself getting those grades in bio and chem
Thank u
Original post by Melissa6789#
Hi ,
I'm In year 13 and have around 78 days left till my a levels exam in the summer . I do biology , chemistry and Religious studies and I'm taking a gap year after school. Been dealing with procrastination really all my life if I'm given months to do something I wont do it till I feel the urgency of a couples days left which then I cram like crazy and burn my self out so much in the process whuch destroys my mental health . I'm self aware of my problem I just don't think I can't change it as in I feel like I'm in a loop ever since GCSE till now from every mock to every mid unit tests I do the same habits no matter how hard I want to change I still happen to do the same thing . Leave it till late cram and then get anxious and tired and give up. The worst about all of this is that when I actually try hard and put my mind to something I genuinely have potential and do well this is what hurts me the most when get the bad grades knowing I'm wasting my potential . I don't know the root cause of my procrastination I been an anxiety filled person all my teenage years . I think sometimes I leave it till late because I have the comfort of knowing the deadline is too far away so I'm okay for now and then I realise I'm losing time I have a panic attack and I get so overwhelmed with everything I have to do the hardwork scares me that I back up and just let it pile up instead of dealing with it I avoid it because I hate being uncomfortable. Or maybe it's beacuse I lack self compassion and I don't really love myself enough to try do well yet I feel like I have a million reasons why I wanna succeed I want it so bad it scares me but yet I still don't put effort . Also it all started with a big burnout I had and ever since then I just have a cycle of cramming and burning out which I hate sooo much yet I do it all the same . In case you couldn't tell I lack self discipline. I ahve watched every video and read every article and I know all the tips I just don't do it it acc feels like a can't at this point . With 78dayd left and with soo much to do I genuinely want to try my hardest and just see where it gets me but it's not that I don't know how I just can't? (Apologies for sounding like a pitiful victim ) . Does anyone go through this or has ever overcame this ?? I want nothing more than too break free I feel honestly mentally exhausted in this continuous cycle it's getting boring. Sometimes I bave 5 lazy days and then 1 days I get a boost of productivity and get so much work done then it goes down . The grades I need is AAA for a levels I think I can get an A I RS but I can't see myself getting those grades in bio and chem
Thank u
This is me kind of. Let me tell you what I do and maybe it'll help.

Mental attitude is key, you can be doing all the work you want but not having a good mindset will make you function like a zombie and you won't retain anything. Remember why you signed up for A levels, remember why you stayed on for Y13 and remember what your goals are. You need those grades for uni? Well you need to work for them. It's hard studying I'm in the same position myself but it's even harder getting rejected from uni, it;s even harder if you fail an exam and have to retake, it's even harder when people around you have As and Bs and have themselves sorted and it's deffo even harder when you don't perform well in the exams and wasted 2 years of your life. Your teachers have their degrees and are getting the paychecks in their pockets, they don't have anything to lose but you do. I don't intend to scare you but only to motivate you, as you only have 78 days left. Push for 78 days, attend extra classes, do more practice papers, stay up the extra hour, nag your teachers until they're sick of you, but you need those grades. This is your wake up call.

Ofc mental health is important but when you say this "Sometimes I bave 5 lazy days and then 1 days I get a boost of productivity and get so much work done then it goes down" That to me doesn't sound very healthy. Have you tried spreading your work out? Like work in the morning, relax in the evening? Do you know what kind of learner your are or what time you revise best at? Do you know what revision tech works best for you?

Deffo a good idea to have a study buddy that will keep you accountable and someone who you can compete with. Other tips such as drink lots of water and go for walks to clear your mind is good to.

Have you tried studytubers like Unjaded? Or productivity channels like Ali Abdaal?

I would also suggest talking to your form teacher or member of staff you're close with so they're aware and can help you.

Have a reset during the Easter break, make a plan of what you're going to revise and when and stick to it.

I hope this is helpful even a little bit. I'm in Y13 as well, and we're in this together. Wishing you all the best!
Original post by Melissa6789#
Hi ,
Thank u
I thought I was reading my diary for second there 😂, been through before I got into uni . A Chronic procrastinator. So I will give suggestions and hope it helps .i ask so did chem and bio and could give you tips on how to clear more notes
1- TURN OFF THE POLICE IN YOUR HEAD !
Don’t bash yourself on time wasted nor do you stress about the future, relax and take a breather for a moment to think.. really do that .it’s okay , you messed up and have recognized that and it’s good .
You could start scheduling things if that helps you as I know a lot of people this works but doesn’t work for me as I have ADHD .
I don’t schedule it but rather write it down in paper or set an alarm not a reminder. You could type it too and i remember as if i conditioned my brain as soon as i see anything related to time which i will.
If reading stresses you out, browse through the most difficult sections of the book. My brain tries to understand it as it finds it interesting especially if it has pictures. It really helps . From there you start studying.
So set alarm to study not reminders ! You might get AAA as I did if you start now . Good luck and feel free to ask more if you have any more questions
Original post by I love me 333
I thought I was reading my diary for second there 😂, been through before I got into uni . A Chronic procrastinator. So I will give suggestions and hope it helps .i ask so did chem and bio and could give you tips on how to clear more notes
1- TURN OFF THE POLICE IN YOUR HEAD !
Don’t bash yourself on time wasted nor do you stress about the future, relax and take a breather for a moment to think.. really do that .it’s okay , you messed up and have recognized that and it’s good .
You could start scheduling things if that helps you as I know a lot of people this works but doesn’t work for me as I have ADHD .
I don’t schedule it but rather write it down in paper or set an alarm not a reminder. You could type it too and i remember as if i conditioned my brain as soon as i see anything related to time which i will.
If reading stresses you out, browse through the most difficult sections of the book. My brain tries to understand it as it finds it interesting especially if it has pictures. It really helps . From there you start studying.
So set alarm to study not reminders ! You might get AAA as I did if you start now . Good luck and feel free to ask more if you have any more questions
😂😂😂😂i literally asked myself is this too bleak half way through lol . Thank you so much for the advice and i would love any tips on biology and chemistry any help would be amazing
THANK YOUU SO MUCH !!
Original post by Peanut_Butter
This is me kind of. Let me tell you what I do and maybe it'll help.
Mental attitude is key, you can be doing all the work you want but not having a good mindset will make you function like a zombie and you won't retain anything. Remember why you signed up for A levels, remember why you stayed on for Y13 and remember what your goals are. You need those grades for uni? Well you need to work for them. It's hard studying I'm in the same position myself but it's even harder getting rejected from uni, it;s even harder if you fail an exam and have to retake, it's even harder when people around you have As and Bs and have themselves sorted and it's deffo even harder when you don't perform well in the exams and wasted 2 years of your life. Your teachers have their degrees and are getting the paychecks in their pockets, they don't have anything to lose but you do. I don't intend to scare you but only to motivate you, as you only have 78 days left. Push for 78 days, attend extra classes, do more practice papers, stay up the extra hour, nag your teachers until they're sick of you, but you need those grades. This is your wake up call.
Ofc mental health is important but when you say this "Sometimes I bave 5 lazy days and then 1 days I get a boost of productivity and get so much work done then it goes down" That to me doesn't sound very healthy. Have you tried spreading your work out? Like work in the morning, relax in the evening? Do you know what kind of learner your are or what time you revise best at? Do you know what revision tech works best for you?
Deffo a good idea to have a study buddy that will keep you accountable and someone who you can compete with. Other tips such as drink lots of water and go for walks to clear your mind is good to.
Have you tried studytubers like Unjaded? Or productivity channels like Ali Abdaal?
I would also suggest talking to your form teacher or member of staff you're close with so they're aware and can help you.
Have a reset during the Easter break, make a plan of what you're going to revise and when and stick to it.
I hope this is helpful even a little bit. I'm in Y13 as well, and we're in this together. Wishing you all the best!
Can't thank you enough for this . I'm going to try my best to get through this and I'll update you how it goes . Good luck to you too !!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest