The Student Room Group

Nottingham vs York for CS

Hey guys! Currently in a bit of a predicament because I'm holding unconditional offers from both Notts and York (I did my A levels a while ago which met both uni's requirements).
I've been to York's visit day and I'm going up to Notts on Wednesday and I want to finalise my decision before the offer deadline (ideally by the end of this week) so I'm in a good position with regards to applying for accommodation.

For starters, I'm a pretty blank slate with regards to my interests in computer science. I've done a CompSci A level and a few personal projects in C# and C++ working with a few APIs, really basic stuff, but that's it. I don't really have any overarching preferences in course content so I can't really discern between both module lists - they're both chock full of stuff I have never done or looked into so I can't really say what I'll be interested in before I try it!

My main priorities are to have a good theoretical and practical education that best prepares me for industry so I can go and work for a good firm / company when I graduate.

I've attached the course contents for both courses below and Notts seems more practical and software focused but seeing as I have zero experience with aspects of both I can't even say whether one's better or worse. That's why I'm making this thread - since you guys would have a better understanding about each course's content, and also what you guys know about each university and how it best supports my aims.

EXCEL_WuoJITaQPD.png

Their rankings and whatever are almost identical (not that it really matters) so I'm in a bit of a muddle about which to pick. It may just come down to which campus and locale I prefer but if there's some sort of a significant academic advantage to one over the other I'd like to know.

Thank you!
Reply 1
same dilemma, which one did you end up picking?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending