The Student Room Group

Doing an access course for a second undergraduate degree in midwifery

Hello!

I'm in my second year studying creative writing. However, I've really lost my passion for writing whilst studying the subject as the course bores me, and I can't honestly see myself pursuing a career in an arts-related field.

When I was younger it was my ambition to pursue a healthcare career and this is something I repeatedly come back to. My dream would be to study a bachelors in midwifery at a university near my home town, but I might be required to do an access course in health to do so. My A Level subjects are relevant to midwifery and nursing but I didn't get the grades; as my university offered me an unconditional offer and there was a lot going on in my personal and home life at the time, I slacked on my studying at sixth form. If only I could turn back time and give 17-year-old me a good slap lol.

What I would like to know is if anyone on here has gone down a similar path and could share any advice. Part of me wants to drop out, but at this point it seems like I might as well carry on as this time next year I will be more or less done with it. On one hand it is another year of student debt, on the other hand I don't want to feel like the last two years were for nothing.

If anyone here has done an unrelated first degree before going on to do a second undergraduate level degree in healthcare I would love to hear about your experience and the route you took to getting onto your second degree course.
Original post by erwinterbone
Hello!

I'm in my second year studying creative writing. However, I've really lost my passion for writing whilst studying the subject as the course bores me, and I can't honestly see myself pursuing a career in an arts-related field.

When I was younger it was my ambition to pursue a healthcare career and this is something I repeatedly come back to. My dream would be to study a bachelors in midwifery at a university near my home town, but I might be required to do an access course in health to do so. My A Level subjects are relevant to midwifery and nursing but I didn't get the grades; as my university offered me an unconditional offer and there was a lot going on in my personal and home life at the time, I slacked on my studying at sixth form. If only I could turn back time and give 17-year-old me a good slap lol.

What I would like to know is if anyone on here has gone down a similar path and could share any advice. Part of me wants to drop out, but at this point it seems like I might as well carry on as this time next year I will be more or less done with it. On one hand it is another year of student debt, on the other hand I don't want to feel like the last two years were for nothing.

If anyone here has done an unrelated first degree before going on to do a second undergraduate level degree in healthcare I would love to hear about your experience and the route you took to getting onto your second degree course.

Just to say that is feasible and pretty straightforward. Its unlikely you would ever pay student loans back anyway, so its more a question of time rather than money borrowed.
Reply 2
Hello!

Hi! I did a BA in German & History before I trained as a nurse. I got a 2:1 in that degree, did 2.5 years as a support worker in the operating department at my local hospital, then trained as a nurse. I did, however, start my nurse training in 2016 so was therefore on the previous bursary. You may be able to get onto a Midwifery course with an unrelated degree - healthcare work may help for the experience on your CV/personal statement, as mine did - but just double check things re funding for your 2nd degree. Completely possible and I'm proof that it is :smile:
Reply 3
Hello!

Hello,
I did an access course back in 2013 (it was to originally go on to do a nursing degree) but changed my mind at the time and studied psychology and criminal justice instead.
I decided this year I wanted to apply to do an adult nursing degree and have been offered a place at Ljmu.
Certain courses are exempt from the second degree rule with student finance. I am getting full finance again for this degree!
As you said you may have to do the access course.. what did you do at a level? And what grades did you get? I would speak to the admissions departments at the unis that you want to apply to before you enrol on an access course. Mine didn’t want to see any proof of the access course that I did just the degree and my GCSE’s.
Good luck :smile:
I have just completed a BA (Hons) in Fine Art graduated in 2019 and I have been accepted onto adult nursing course as a second degree to start in 2020.I didn’t need an access course :smile: and with full funding as nursing is one of the courses exempt from the no second degree funding rule. Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending