The Student Room Group

Level 2 diploma

Hello I was hospitalised back in 2022 when I was meant to do my GCSEs and this year I did a level 2 diploma in health and social care equivalent to GCSEs and I did I higher access courses to midwifery equivalent to a-levels I’m finishing this before September so will I have a chance to do midwifery at uni since I technically didn’t do traditional GCSEs or will I be fine
Original post by Miniso i
Hello I was hospitalised back in 2022 when I was meant to do my GCSEs and this year I did a level 2 diploma in health and social care equivalent to GCSEs and I did I higher access courses to midwifery equivalent to a-levels I’m finishing this before September so will I have a chance to do midwifery at uni since I technically didn’t do traditional GCSEs or will I be fine

This is likely to be an issue. Midwifery degrees always ask for GCSEs. They might ask for Maths and/or English Language. Or they might also mandate Science GCSE, or that you have five GCSEs altogether.

Some may accept your Level 2 BTEC as meeting some of these requirements, but the only way to know for sure is to ask individual admissions teams.
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
This is likely to be an issue. Midwifery degrees always ask for GCSEs. They might ask for Maths and/or English Language. Or they might also mandate Science GCSE, or that you have five GCSEs altogether.

Some may accept your Level 2 BTEC as meeting some of these requirements, but the only way to know for sure is to ask individual admissions teams.
R there any unis that will accept me without it or will I have to take a gap year
Original post by Miniso i
R there any unis that will accept me without it or will I have to take a gap year

The only way to answer that question, unfortunately, is by checking the requirements of Midwifery courses one by one. You can see the full list of such courses here. Note that it contains 119 courses from 60 providers.

I started looking through them for you, and on only the second provider (Bangor University) noticed that their GCSE requirements are given as follows (with my added emphasis):

"applicants must normally have, or be working towards, a minimum of five GCSE grades A*-C/9-4 including GCSE Welsh or English first language and Mathematics/Numeracy (or a recognised alternative qualification*), but consideration is given to individual circumstances." (details)

I suggest that you should probably go though the list above in full, clicking through into the course details of each, to establish what their stance on GCSEs is. If any look like they might be willing to consider you without GCSEs, then contact them directly to check.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending