The Student Room Group

Newcastle Vs Nottingham Vs Exeter

I am an international student, planning to do a masters in Data Science/ Computer Science. I have received offers from Newcastle, Exeter, Swansea and Cardiff. Waiting on Nottingham too. I would really like a comparison of the universities, especially the reputation each one has when it comes to computer science.
Original post by sherwinfarrell
I am an international student, planning to do a masters in Data Science/ Computer Science. I have received offers from Newcastle, Exeter, Swansea and Cardiff. Waiting on Nottingham too. I would really like a comparison of the universities, especially the reputation each one has when it comes to computer science.

Exeter has gone down again for the subject. I'd probs go for Newcastle (amazing new facilities, great uni and city) or Nottingham.
Reply 2
Original post by student424
Exeter has gone down again for the subject. I'd probs go for Newcastle (amazing new facilities, great uni and city) or Nottingham.

Anything more you might be able to say to distinguish Newcastle and Nottingham?
Similar boat for me with these two.

Nottingham still seems to be a cut above Newcastle in the tables for CS, but I'm not sure how close they are.

Anecdotally everyone seems to praise the Newcastle experience unreservedly, but I think a lot of it is the drinking scene and friendly vibe of the city. Nottingham gets praise, but its a bit more muted.
Nottingham is a lot better, a higher reputation, and research output.
Reply 4
Original post by beyond21
Nottingham is a lot better, a higher reputation, and research output.

Would you mind elaborating a little please, if you happen to know about UoN research? Does Nottingham have any famous research groups? In what CS research areas are they strongest? How about for AI specifically?
(Also, if you know about Newcastle please share more along these lines)
(I'm interested in NLP, empathetic AI and... kind of any area where AI meets humanities / human interaction)
Original post by Krood
Would you mind elaborating a little please, if you happen to know about UoN research? Does Nottingham have any famous research groups? In what CS research areas are they strongest? How about for AI specifically?
(Also, if you know about Newcastle please share more along these lines)
(I'm interested in NLP, empathetic AI and... kind of any area where AI meets humanities / human interaction)

Nottingham has more computing/module choices to pick whether it's in data science/AI/bioinformatics/human interaction. Newcastle looks very dead in Computing - I wouldn't do a master specifically in there.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/computer-science
Newcastle top 26, Nottingham top 15 , Exeter isn't bad - it's top 16. Exeter was also one of the funded Uk master research programme in health data science specifically - https://www.hdruk.ac.uk/become-a-health-data-scientist/masters-programme/
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/mixedrealitylab/ Nottingham has this mixed reality/VR, might be something interesting to you , i don't see other unis offer modules related to these areas. So if you into AI/HCI then this is for you.

Nottingham > Exeter > Newcastle
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by beyond21
Nottingham has more computing/module choices to pick whether it's in data science/AI/bioinformatics/human interaction. Newcastle looks very dead in Computing - I wouldn't do a master specifically in there.
https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings/computer-science
Newcastle top 26, Nottingham top 15 , Exeter isn't bad - it's top 16. Exeter was also one of the funded Uk master research programme in health data science specifically - https://www.hdruk.ac.uk/become-a-health-data-scientist/masters-programme/
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/research/groups/mixedrealitylab/ Nottingham has this mixed reality/VR, might be something interesting to you , i don't see other unis offer modules related to these areas. So if you into AI/HCI then this is for you.

Nottingham > Exeter > Newcastle

I wouldn't touch Exeter if you look at it's previous statistics. It has also gone down the rankings a lot in the past year again too. Check out The Complete University Guide. Newcastle has an amazing new CS department. Can't really comment much on Nottingham but yes it is higher in the rankings. You got to go with the best course and the best uni environment for you.
Original post by Krood
Anything more you might be able to say to distinguish Newcastle and Nottingham?
Similar boat for me with these two.

Nottingham still seems to be a cut above Newcastle in the tables for CS, but I'm not sure how close they are.

Anecdotally everyone seems to praise the Newcastle experience unreservedly, but I think a lot of it is the drinking scene and friendly vibe of the city. Nottingham gets praise, but its a bit more muted.

NCL has far more to offer than just the drinking scene. All unis have a big drinking scene. NCL just happens to be a large, lovely place with a fairly low cost of living. Once you move to the 2nd year you move to a lovely place outside the city that is like a small London and fairly expensive.
Original post by student424
I wouldn't touch Exeter if you look at it's previous statistics. It has also gone down the rankings a lot in the past year again too. Check out The Complete University Guide. Newcastle has an amazing new CS department. Can't really comment much on Nottingham but yes it is higher in the rankings. You got to go with the best course and the best uni environment for you.

most unis go up and down occasionally. Newcastle is on the lowest ranking in Russell group. Newcastle looks like it will always stay at 25-30 for the past few years and not change. Exeter and Nottingham are always top 10-20. Newcastle CS lower than Exeter and Nottingham. so how it's amazing? being new does not mean it's good as well, some people did rather go do a master in a CS-related course that have been out for 10 years+(more reliable) and not new stuff, the new course tends to fail or close down due to not many students and staff isn't too good.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending