The Student Room Group

Withholding rent from landlord

What would be the repercussions of withholding rent from my landlord? Should I contact them first or just do it? Or not do it at all?I've moved back home now because of the coronavirus and it looks like I won't be living in that house anymore and really dont want to be wasting all that money. The house is in Brighton and 5 other people live there (well not so much anymore because of the virus) and next year I have a house sorted with a different letting agent.
Original post by phantomvibration
What would be the repercussions of withholding rent from my landlord? Should I contact them first or just do it? Or not do it at all?I've moved back home now because of the coronavirus and it looks like I won't be living in that house anymore and really dont want to be wasting all that money. The house is in Brighton and 5 other people live there (well not so much anymore because of the virus) and next year I have a house sorted with a different letting agent.

a contract is a contract. you must follow the process for cancelling it.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
a contract is a contract. you must follow the process for cancelling it

But what would happen if I broke the contract? Would I just lose my deposit or would they take me to court?
But what would happen if I broke the contract? Would I just lose my deposit or would they take me to court?

Why don't you want to follow the correct procedure?
Original post by black tea
Why don't you want to follow the correct procedure?

I'm just finding it hard to find out the correct procedure in my tennency agreement and don't want to end up spending more money than I have to. I'm not opposed in any way to follow the correct procedure, I'm just wondering what actually happens if you withhold rent and move out.
I'm just finding it hard to find out the correct procedure in my tennency agreement and don't want to end up spending more money than I have to. I'm not opposed in any way to follow the correct procedure, I'm just wondering what actually happens if you withhold rent and move out.

The procedure is usually to give at least 1 month notice, usually in writing (email should be fine). Do you have a guarantor? If so, they will be expected to pay if you stop paying and they will be the ones taken to court, not you.
If you leave owing your landlord rent, you will lose your deposit and risk being sued.
You could end up with a bad credit history, a CCJ and having to pay your landlord's legal & court costs too.
It is easier to read your tenancy agreement, follow the instructions in it about giving notice that you will be leaving and paying what you owe in full.
Original post by londonmyst
If you leave owing your landlord rent, you will lose your deposit and risk being sued.
You could end up with a bad credit history, a CCJ and having to pay your landlord's legal & court costs too.
It is easier to read your tenancy agreement, follow the instructions in it about giving notice that you will be leaving and paying what you owe in full.

Thank you, that was the sort of answer I was looking for. I know I sound very immature about all of this but is there anyway at all in which I can leave and not have to pay the remaining rent? (I'm aware I would lose my deposit regardless) As in how likely is it that they will sue? Especially given the current climate and many people being unable to afford rent.
As in how likely is it that they will sue? Especially given the current climate and many people being unable to afford rent.

Depends on the landlord. People may not be able to pay rent but for the landlords, that may be their only source of income.
Thank you, that was the sort of answer I was looking for. I know I sound very immature about all of this but is there anyway at all in which I can leave and not have to pay the remaining rent? (I'm aware I would lose my deposit regardless) As in how likely is it that they will sue? Especially given the current climate and many people being unable to afford rent.

Check your tenancy agreement and see what your notice period is.
Your landlord may be willing to agree to keep your deposit and allow you to leave before your contract is up.
But make sure that all your communications are done in writing, so that you can prove when you gave notice and what agreement your landlord entered into.

It depends on the landlord.
Some landlords are litigious by nature and always sue if they are owed any money, others will only sue if they are owed more than £700.
Original post by londonmyst
Check your tenancy agreement and see what your notice period is.
Your landlord may be willing to agree to keep your deposit and allow you to leave before your contract is up.
But make sure that all your communications are done in writing, so that you can prove when you gave notice and what agreement your landlord entered into.

It depends on the landlord.
Some landlords are litigious by nature and always sue if they are owed any money, others will only sue if they are owed more than £700.

Okay great thank you, I'll email them and try and sort something out I guess. I might be able to save a bit of money at the very least

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending